Lower carb diet and calories ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey guys

I seem to not have the type 2 diabetes anymore.

I eat a typical diet which is lower carb now. Do I need to worry about calories? I can easily go over a little. Its saying I should eat around 1500 cals on one of the apps.

Macros seem be be approx 109g daily carbs, 79g protein and 84g fat.

Anyone have any ideas ? Have another stone to lose and I have chronic fatigue syndrome so I dont go for actual exercise just walking and housework and I have stairs in my house.

I only eat oatcakes,potatoes, basmati rice and buckwheat flour as my main carbs and I eat them in small portions compared to what it used to be.

I upped the protein(eggs, meat, fish) and fat (coconut oil, butter, almond butter, olive oil, cheese...)

Reactions: zand

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which app are you looking at?
I'd say your carb intake is still way too high for weight loss.
I only eat oatcakes,potatoes, basmati rice and buckwheat flour as my main carbs and I eat them in small portions compared to what it used to be.
Do you think you could abandon these food types and see how it goes?
Eat larger and maybe fattier portions of
(eggs, meat, fish) and fat (coconut oil, butter, almond butter, olive oil, cheese...)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Put simply, with Type 2 Diabetes it is not a question of having a problem with metabolising calories. It is a problem with metabolising carbohydrates.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I cant eat too many carbs I cant tolerate them. I'm talking about just to lose weight. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and when I try and eat very low carb it makes me feel awfully worse energy wise.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The app is chronometer. Based on my height age weight activity etc say around 1546 cals a day...

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is classed as lower carb than 109 grams a day, that also means I am not very low carb ( as I need some carbs I feel for some sort of energy)

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have lost 3 stones over the years slowly. I'm eager to get the last stone off

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
An easy was to lower my carbs is to reduce the oatcakes. Instead of 4 as part of a meal I could do 2 and then that would bring me under 100g to about 96g carbs for the day . Sometimes I eat 6 ( whole single pack) oatcakes a day... wont be doing that anymore. Normally 4 for a meal and 2 as a snack with cheese or nut butter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An easy was to lower my carbs is to reduce the oatcakes. Instead of 4 as part of a meal I could do 2 and then that would bring me under 100g to about 96g carbs for the day . Sometimes I eat 6 ( whole single pack) oatcakes a day... wont be doing that anymore. Normally 4 for a meal and 2 as a snack with cheese or nut butter
I usually have about 5-10g of carbs per day mainly from cream in coffee..Average for 2019 is 9g

Reactions: coleyd

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I cant eat too many carbs I cant tolerate them. I'm talking about just to lose weight. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and when I try and eat very low carb it makes me feel awfully worse energy wise.
me too, and I have CFS. I think maybe we metabolise foods in a different way or something. I restrict my calories to 1500 a day, I watch my carb intake to under 100g a day. When we have more than one health condition it can be a balancing act to juggle them.
Do what you need to do to keep as healthy as you can considering all of your conditions the best you can. I have been juggling for 7 years now, just do your best.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is classed as lower carb than 109 grams a day, that also means I am not very low carb ( as I need some carbs I feel for some sort of energy)
Lower carb is under 120g of carbs a day or thereabouts.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You felt horrible and tired after going low carb...? How long did you manage proper low carb for? Because I have a feeling you were experiencing something called keto or carb flu... It's when your body gets rid of the excess water that the carbs have been holding on to. With all the urinating you also lose electrolytes, meaning you get dehydrated until your body stabilises itself. Fatigue, sore muscles and joints, headaches? Sound familliar? If you'd stuck it out, you would've been a whole new person on the other end of it. (Couple of days up to 2 weeks). You know how an addict goes through withdrawal? Same thing. I went through it, and I can tell you, it's worth it. Of course, if you know how to handle keto flu (bone broth, coconut milk, salt and loads of water), it's a lot easier. ;) I just sucked it up for a few days and got on with it, but then, I didn't know how to fix the symptoms at the time.

I've been where you are. And it's quite possible the fatigue is caused by your bloodsugars. I know mine was. I could barely move. My muscles were wasting away, and I'd lay in bed wishing I could lay down and get some rest, then realise I was already laying down and it wasn't helping. Tired to the point of pain. LCHF and later keto, fixed that. And I lost weight in the process.

This might help: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ as well as The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung, this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk (not .org!) and dietdoctor.com.

Honestly, those oats are not doing you any favours. None of those carby foods are. If I'd known a decade or so ago what I know now, my life would've looked very different. I wouldn't've had to wait until my late 30's to finally live a little, rather than just vegetate all day with my books... (Still love books though, don't get me wrong. ;))
do you have CFS?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I have horrible cfs /m.e diagnosed 9 years ago. I'm 34. I feel spaced out a lot too.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was bedbound as a teen, missed a year and a half of school, after lumbering along as long as I could, and did get the CFS diagnosis. I could barely make it to the toilet from my upstairs bedroom. Later I suspect the doc never checked my Vit D. Fatigue I've had since then were linked to my thyroid, rickets/vit d deficiency and last, diabetes. I'm not saying CFS isn't a thing, it is... But I also think doctors throw their hands in the air too easily sometimes. In any case, even if the fatigue doesn't subside, if there is a desire for weight loss and no possibility for excersize, LCHF will still help with the weight.

Or I could just shut up and all.
I asked a simple question. I have had CFS for over 10 years. If I reduce my carbs too far the little energy I have nosedives. My point in my postings is that lower and lower carbs may not be the answer in the case of juggling CFS and type 2 diabetes, and could do more harm than good. Lowering carbs more and more is not always a suitable option. I am offering my experience for the OP to consider. Quality of life is important.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked a simple question. I have had CFS for over 10 years. If I reduce my carbs too far the little energy I have nosedives. My point in my postings is that lower and lower carbs may not be the answer in the case of juggling CFS and type 2 diabetes, and could do more harm than good. Lowering carbs more and more is not always a suitable option. I am offering my experience for the OP to consider. Quality of life is important.
It is. So the post's getting deleted because I am once more talking out of my ***. With my apologies.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys . I think given the fact I am with normal hba1c I can afford 100 g carbs a day for the sake of my other health issues. Its tricky to juggle.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I try to offer something I always go with an 80 / 20 rule. You appear to be in the 20. I think you are keeping the carbs too high to lose the weight but you are bound by not being able to go too low.

These are the variables you can swap out:
  • oatcakes
  • potatoes
  • basmati rice
  • buckwheat flour
One or more of these is stalling you. As you are using an App, you could try different combinations of replacement and see how you feel / weight loss. E.g. potatoes and rice for butternut squash / celeriac.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
white flour, of any description, drains me of energy.
wholemeal (UK definition) homemade bread is fine and helps my energy.

pasta and rice drain my energy.

potatoes, in small amounts are helpful to me energy levels.

try different carbs to see what works, or not, for you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd not touch those carb heavy foods, because they have nothing we need in them - I eat loads of salad and veges to the exclusion of grains to get all the vitamins minerals and other stuff include with them. Try a few large multicolour crispy crunchy salads - make a stirfry - they might do nothing, I can't promise, but they make be feel rather cheerful, well fed and content.