Which blood glucose meter are you using?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello diabuddies,

I am currently using my freestyle libre as a meter for BG levels, ketones and libre readings, along with the app. I think it is a very good meter and I was wondering which BG meter everyone is using? Is there a particular one you like? and does it do both BG readings and ketones?

Reactions: Knikki

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use whichever the doctor will prescribe strips for :)
Currently I have an Aviva Expert - I only have that's because its one I got that from the carb counting course with a letter to the docs to prescribe the strips, otherwise I'd be on whatever cheapest ones they could get.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-Chek Mobile. Just chuck it in my pocket & away i go.

Reactions: Abigail18

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah nice, I can imagine a few type 1 folks liking the Accu-Check Mobile. Aviva Expert looks quite dinky and small too :)
When I was running out of test strips, I was told to pay up front for it and to find out Freestyle Optium test strips was £30 per box. I felt quite guilty because the NHS are paying a fortune for both the test strips and ketone strips for my meter.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was using the Freestyle Libre meter which I liked apart from the strips being individual wrapped. Now using Contour Next 2.4 as that's what came with my Medtronic pump. And it has a port light which I really like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 here, no meds. I use the Accu Chek Mobile for its convenience. Strips in a cartridge inserted in the meter, so no fiddling about getting strips out, and the Fastclix finger pricker with a drum inserted for the lancets, so no touching those either. Small, fits in pocket, all in one. Nothing extra to carry.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
T2 here - I think :)

I am using a Glucomen Areo is it was on prescription. (Am guessing its cheap and cheerful).

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a Abbott Freestyle Lite meter, it does the job of reading my bgl accurately, previously I used a Accu-Chek Performa.

I have no problems about strips for either of them as I am a member of the NDSS and get subsidised strips at $1.20 per 100 box.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've got a little black one, Glucomen areo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T2 here, no meds. I use the Accu Chek Mobile for its convenience. Strips in a cartridge inserted in the meter, so no fiddling about getting strips out, and the Fastclix finger pricker with a drum inserted for the lancets, so no touching those either. Small, fits in pocket, all in one. Nothing extra to carry.

Nothing to dispose of either, until the cartridge runs out... About the size of an old answerphone tape or a little slimmer than a DAT cassette.
Even the lancet drums are fool proof. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The same as my Multiclix and Fastclix six lancet cartridge, just throw them in the bin as they are safe to do so.

The joy of the AC Mobile is the Fastclix lancet device slots in a bracket attached to the side of the meter, so defo all in one.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BG I use the Accu Chek Aviva Expert, got a silicone cover for it too :)

I get the Libre sensors on prescription so use the Libre for testing ketones (when I was first diagnosed I got the Freestyle Optium Neo when I left the hospital so always had the ketone strips on prescription)

xx

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meter changed by surgery, a while back, for all diabetics being prescribed test strips to Gluco Nexus.

Presumably this change was for economy purposes ;) We each had a choice of the normal sized one or the mini. I chose the mini. The results were a bit different from the glucometer provided previously but I appreciate all are a bit different.

Generally happy with the Nexus but I'm certainly not a 'connoisseur' of glucometers ;)

D

Deleted member 308541

The joy of the AC Mobile is the Fastclix lancet device slots in a bracket attached to the side of the meter, so defo all in one.
My lancing devices fits in the loop in the Abbot meter pouch with the help of a elastic band wrapped around the device.

Reactions: Kim Possible

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Verio one Touch. Happy with it but rarely use it since wearing the Libre. Perhaps one a day. Haven’t ordered test strips for the last two months as I have plenty.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have freestyle neo which does bgs and keytones but i use libre meter now as strips fit that

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a meter I really liked, but I had to choose a new one because the company stopped making them (forgot the name). I particularly liked the fact that meter, strips and pricker are in a plastic thing holding it all together, allowing me to test while walking or whatever, no need to put anything down.
I chose the new Caresens Premier as it was the only one from the list claiming to be usable down to 4 degrees Celsius. In winter it's often between 2 and 6 degrees in my bedroom and it's very annoying to have to warm your meter for 5 minutes before you can test when half asleep.
With a bit of handywork I made the new meter fit into the old plastic thing and it turned out it only needs half as much blood as the other meter. Which should be a good thing but I still dislike it and would be happy to go back to my old meter.

I've never tested for ketones.
69669678_10218374611310966_3992244536255447040_n.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m using my Omnipod control unit as a meter even though I’m not using it to control my Omnipod anymore since starting Looping. I’ve always got it with my in case DIY artificial pancreas fails and I need to start a new pod. It uses Freestyle Lite strips.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Sinocare Safe Accu, Cheap and cheerful. Lancets are included with test strips, only I don't change my lancet each time so rapidly building up boxes of spare lancets that I don't know what to do with.