Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Big steaming heap of crud....

Just more anti meat garbage and fear driven slop.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 09.43.55.png

This is the chart from a well know vegan diet study for the treatment of T2. Carried out by one of the chief WFPB doctors Neal Barnard. If you want that kind of HbA1c reduction then go for it.. Note the rise after 22 weeks...

My last HbA1c was 4.6% as a comparison.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't read the whole thing, but they're heaping T1, Lada etc on the same pile as T2 and say it is all pretty much the same thing. And PCOS isn't influenced by insulin resistance, it is a cause of it, so they have that backwards as well. Then there's the fat-causes-fat thing which most people on here who follow LCHF know makes zero sense. And for what it's worth, two of my dieticians put me on the kind of diet they're touting, and THAT is what made me morbidly obese AND diabetic... So if the low carb way of eating is "promoting early death" as they state, then I welcome it. Because if I was supposed to have a long life feeling the way I did back then, unable to do anything but exist (Literally... I couldn't hold a fork, could barely walk, even fell over in my own little flat), well, they can keep that long life. Mind you, on low carb/Keto/IF my HbA1c is in the normal range, my fatty liver disease is gone, the high cholesterol too, the weight's down so I'm no longer morbidly obese, my clinical depression isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be, the panic attacks are a whole lot better, the rheumatism is practically non-existent now, while I couldn't turn a key with my miserable fingers 6 years ago, and I can WALK. Do it every weekend and happened to get some walking in amidst the heather yesterday. I get to live my life rather than waiting for it to mercifully end.

Just my 2 cents. :) And some heather, because it was pretty. :)

Attachments

• heather Larense Zuiderheide NL 03.jpg
    heather Larense Zuiderheide NL 03.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 178

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone- thanks- I wasn't convinced but I doubt myself always. I can say that on the LCHF my blood sugars are doing okay and I'm slowly losing weight so what I'm eating is woking for me . I also thought that if you're losing weight you can't be adding fat- that just doesn't make sense to me. I think I just needed a bit of reassurance- thanks all for giving it- you are all wonderful!

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Insulin resistance wrt to Type 1 and LADA? Hogwash of the first order! Type 1 is an autoimmune condition. I stopped reading at that point because I have more important things to do with my time, I have dishes to wash!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone- thanks- I wasn't convinced but I doubt myself always. I can say that on the LCHF my blood sugars are doing okay and I'm slowly losing weight so what I'm eating is woking for me . I also thought that if you're losing weight you can't be adding fat- that just doesn't make sense to me. I think I just needed a bit of reassurance- thanks all for giving it- you are all wonderful!
Well yes you could try eating fat to excess and eventually get fat, but if you eat just enough of it to satisfy your hunger and your actual energy requirements you won't. And if you eat slightly less than you need, then you'll burn off some stored fat and lose some weight - as you're discovering. :)

Robbbity
Low carbing for nearly 6 years and who is now well past her estimated expiry date of three score years and ten.o_O

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sadly, the main speaker seems to know very little, if anything, about diabetes.

When tested initially he stated that they took a fingerprick of blood and went to another room where it was tested. This is absolute nonsense. The test strip would need to be placed into the blood glucose meter at the time the blood is applied to it. (If he's referring to having a HbA1c level tested then there would be insufficient blood taken from a fingerprick and "taken to another room" to test.)

As others have already pointed out, there is one heck of a difference between typ 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, LADA, type 3c diabetes, etc.

Reactions: Guzzler

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin resistance wrt to Type 1 and LADA? Hogwash of the first order! Type 1 is an autoimmune condition. I stopped reading at that point because I have more important things to do with my time, I have dishes to wash!
That had me too. I would characterise type 1 as a failure to stop gluconeogenisis triggered by the exterminination of the pancreatic beta cells but type1s can become insulin resistant if they eat high carb. I think that's why my diabetologist occasionally weighs me and asks how much total insulin I am using.

Reactions: Guzzler

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just for information, my hospital clinic now uses a machine which only needs a fingerprick quantity of blood, but gives an Hba1c result from it in about 10 mins. They got it last year, 2018.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just for information, my hospital clinic now uses a machine which only needs a fingerprick quantity of blood, but gives an Hba1c result from it in about 10 mins. They got it last year, 2018.
The A1cNow machine?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't it strange to think horses don't to my knowledge eat meat but they can and do develop raised insulin resistance high blood sugars and a form of T2 diabetes they also have been known to get T1 diabetes as well.

https://www.equisearch.com/articles/diabetes-in-horses-21174

Thanks for posting this. Kept a laminitic horse years ago as a kid... Off the sweet grass, intermittent fasting. Then one day I thought. "Hey, is this some form of diabetes?"

As for the artical featured in the header post... I used to do a lot of "mucking out" in my youth.. It kind of brought back memories. ;)

Reactions: JohnEGreen