Advice on readings pls

Andreamac73

Hey I’ve been feeling unwell for quite a while with symptoms ranging from dizziness, cold and clammy sweats, nausea, shaking, pins n needles in hand, fatigue, funny feeling in eyes. I started doing my blood sugar measures and these range from 5.7 to 12.5. My lowest fasting reading was 9. I’ve been to Gp who says it’s the menopause! My readings are normal, well I don’t feel normal. I even nearly passed out in the street, I was wandering about like I was drunk and couldn’t focus!

Any advice???

Reactions: victor_dan

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I’ve been feeling unwell for quite a while with symptoms ranging from dizziness, cold and clammy sweats, nausea, shaking, pins n needles in hand, fatigue, funny feeling in eyes. I started doing my blood sugar measures and these range from 5.7 to 12.5. My lowest fasting reading was 9. I’ve been to Gp who says it’s the menopause! My readings are normal, well I don’t feel normal. I even nearly passed out in the street, I was wandering about like I was drunk and couldn’t focus!

Any advice???
Hello, I can't really advice much on your readings. But do you keep a log or a record of your readings to spot how many times you run high? However I've linked diabetes symptoms here:https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/diabetes-symptoms
If you experience any of these symptoms, please speak to another doctor to get some tests done.

Reactions: victor_dan

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andreamac73
Welcome to the forum. Your symptoms sound very unpleasant

It would be helpful to record your blood readings, including time before and after meals and any times you feel ill. Take these results with you to see a doctor and ask them for blood tests.

Have you had any tests so far to see if you have diabetes? We cannot diagnose if it is diabetes or something else is causing the symptoms but I think your doctor should investigate more

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A post has been deleted by a moderator as it was not helpful.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andrea I agree with @MeiChanski and @Redshank , I think a second opinion with records of your blood sugar readings would be helpful. My suggestion would be readings before and two hours after first bite of a meal with a record of what you ate.
Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Redshank

Andreamac73

Thanks everyone. I have been taking readings for the past 5 days and took them this morning to doc who didn’t this there was anything wrong with them x

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did the doctor talk to you about all your symptoms together with the readings- I have been through menopause and I think there can be a tendency to blame any symptoms on it. I agree with the poster who suggested getting another option even if that opinion is only to give you more peace of mind- that is important.

Good luck

Reactions: Andreamac73

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree. Go see another dr. I’d be asking for an hb1ac to check the 3 month average of my readings. It’s a pretty common test and I’m shocked that given you’re symptoms it wasn’t offered.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness. I’m going to 3rd (4th, 5th?) to see a new doctor. I just hit my 1-year mark, so official menopause last month. Having few women in my family to talk to, I’ve been quizzing friends, coworkers, etc. no one has reported feeling how you are. We joke about the sudden change in temperature, skin losing its elasticity seemingly overnight, etc. some bad symptoms have been headaches and joint aches, but that about it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Agree with what everyone else has said.... go see another doctor if possible. Highs of 12.5 isn't normal, you need to see someone who can give good advice and service. Good luck.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It never hurts to get a second opinion. It wasn't until I switched doctors I got diagnosed right. Keep a log of fasting, before you eat and 2-3 hours after you eat and at night. That can be valuable information. Maybe for longer than the 5 days too.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any advice???
....I have to say, you don't sound menopausal... Do what others have suggested: Check before a meal and 2 hours after, keep a log of what you ate, and ask a doc, ANY doc, for a HbA1c test. If your GP doesn't comply, ask for another GP or a referral to an endo. It's your health, don't let it get shrugged off with a stereotypical dismissal based on age and sex.