repeat prescriptions for testing strips

Grazer

Shows how areas vary - my mate who lives in Haywards Heath has just been diagnosed type 2, and the first thing he was offered by the nurse was a BG monitor and a repeat prescription for testing strips.
Malc

Margi

I know this government wants things to be sorted at local levels, but some things need to have national rules applied and this is one of them. For people to arbitrarily be denied blood testing (which saves the NHS millions in treatment for complications) just because of where they live is insane and unfair.

I'm so glad you are in a place which has more brains.

Trots off wondering about Human Rights or if screaming about it would simply tighten the noose and stop everyone from having them... but that's Human Rights too isn't it? Hmmm.....

Grazer

Good point Margi, but please note that it's my mate who lives in Haywards Heath, not me! I live in a far less salubrious area.
Malc

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
repeat prescriptions for testing strips

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i am lucky as my docter will give me testing strips even though i am diet controlled she said she looks at patients as human being and every one is different .

paula1974

I live in the Haywards Heath area. Well, Burgess Hill but classed as HH. Although I am a T2 on insulin, so was automatically given monitor and strips, I was told even if I was not on insulin I would be given Test strips etc. They did lower my amount of strips but after I explained about post prandial (?) testing, they increased the amount!

Post code lottery? Although I hate this idea, this one I am glad about - for me anyway.

Paula

cavillas

I live in Walton on the Naze and have no trouble getting my repeat prescriptions for testing strips and I have type 1 diabetes bought on by a virus causing me to have most of my pancreas removed.

adorable

I live in Seaford E. Sussex and have had T2 diabetes since 2003 and my surgery will not recommend testing for myself even if I pay for the strips. Why can't there be a general ruling on this subject.

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I live in Nottingham have had Type 2 since 2008, I no longer can get Test Strips, as adorable says why cant there be a ruling all over and not just in certain areas, its all down to the usual Money Money Money.

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I am English and moved here to live in Scotland ten years ago and I always get my strips from my GP,something I always did in England, I asked my DN if it was OK to keep asking for them and she said I was the only one in the practice that asked for them,most people just prefer to wait for their review and let the nurse do it!