What do you make of this Glucose Tolerance Test results

Hendie

Hi guys, so i took my BG reader into the test with me so i could measure myself.

After 30 mins - 12.5 mmol
After 1 hour - 10.5
After 1:30 - 10
After 2 hours - 7.5

Once i had drank the glucose my pulse went alot faster, during the 2 hours i went to pee about 4 times, then at the end of the two hours on the drive home i was feeling a bit shakey.

Your thoughts please ?!

Thanks

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
As with all of these things, it depends who you listen to, but according to the WHO criteria a BG @2hours of more than 7.8mmol/l is indicative of pre-diabetes, more than 11.1mmol/l full blown diabetes.

It also depends on what your fasting level was, but 6.1 to 7.8mmol/l @ 2hours is regarded as "normal", although many people think that these criteria are too conservative...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hendie said:
My fasting glucose was 5.4 mmol

According to the WHO criteria fasting glucose of less that 6.1 mmol/l and a 2hour glucose of less than 7.8mmol/l is "normal".

Obviously your Doctor will tell you for sure, but it doesn't sound like you've caught the old Diabetes just yet. You can probably have a chocolate hob-nob to celebrate.

Let us know what the official verdict is...

Hendie

borofergie said:
Hendie said:
My fasting glucose was 5.4 mmol

According to the WHO criteria fasting glucose of less that 6.1 mmol/l and a 2hour glucose of less than 7.8mmol/l is "normal".

Obviously your Doctor will tell you for sure, but it doesn't sound like you've caught the old Diabetes just yet. You can probably have a chocolate hob-nob to celebrate.

Let us know what the official verdict is...

If only if only.... :p The thing is i have had systemic candida problems for a good few years now, so my symptoms are least when i follow a very limited carb diet and 0 sugar, so therefore alot of my blood glucose readings are normal, but if i were to eat sugar/carbs my blood glucose spikes quite high. So its probably going to be tricky to get a diagnosis, all my symptoms scream diabates.

I will ofc speak with my doctor about everything, but just wanted some opinions before my appointment. Thanks

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I hope you have a good Doctor that will take accounts of your symptoms and "spikes", and not just say "because this one test says you are not a diabetic, you are therefore not a diabetic".

You might have to stand your ground a bit.

Even though you might not be able to eat a chocolate hob-nob, if you have caught the old diabetes, you can look forwards to bitching about it to anyone who will listen. I have no idea what I used to talk about before...

Good luck.

Anthb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I recently did an oral glucose tolerance test drinking 500mg of lucozade, I had some blood taken, drank the lucozade, waited 2hrs, had some more blood taken. The result came back 15.1 I was diagnosed as diabetic. Not on any meds though as my HBA1C came back 6.0 which is good for a diabetic "im told?".

AMBrennan

my HBA1C came back 6.0 which is good for a diabetic "im told?".
Sorry, but I can't see the irony here. Please clarify.

A HbA1C of 6.0 is indeed good (target is 7.5% or 6.5%. if heart risk) by NICE standards; others, e.g. Bernstein fanatics, will recommend much lower targets (http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html). There is conflicting evidence (ACCORD) on the effectiveness of tight control.

I cannot comment on your treatment since I am a T1, and all T2 levels seem worryingly high to me and I don't want people to think that I am Sanofi PR (http://www.whyinsulin.com/)

Anthb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think what im trying to say is I was newly diagnosed 1 week ago as type 2 after an Oral glucose test were the result was 15.1mm/mol, but my HBA1c result was 6.0. so is the OGT a true indicator of diagnosing wether a person is diabetic or not. was my diagnosis correct?

Grazer

Anthb said:
I think what im trying to say is I was newly diagnosed 1 week ago as type 2 after an Oral glucose test were the result was 15.1mm/mol, but my HBA1c result was 6.0. so is the OGT a true indicator of diagnosing wether a person is diabetic or not. was my diagnosis correct?
I think the answer is yes, the diagnosis is correct. However, your HbA1c is quite good for a diabetic newly diagnosed so you've been put on "diet only" to control your blood sugars rather than medication. Look around the forum at the sort of diets us on "diet only" follow and you'll get some good guidance. There is a section on diet in "newly diagnosed"

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hendie,

I've seen advice somewhere (only I can't remember where, at the moment) that someone who is a regular very low carber should eat 150g of carb a day for 3 days before taking an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, otherwise they might get a false result.

I assume the shock of taking in all that glucose could send a pancreas, still producing insulin but accustomed to very few carbs, completely haywire!

Viv 8)

AMBrennan

but my HBA1c result was 6.0. so is the OGT a true indicator of diagnosing wether a person is diabetic or not.
HbA1c is not recommended as a test to diagnose diabetes. Also, 6% would be very high in a healthy person.

But if you regularly eat a low carb diet then you're treating* your condition already, and diabetes would ideally be asymptomatic. - I get normal fasting and postprandial results when I take my insulin but that doesn't mean that a diagnosis of diabetes because of a high OGTC would be incorrect.

* Debatable; you'll find members advising you to follow medical advice from medical professionals, and low-carb advocates.

Btw, since when have you been eating a low-carb diet? Presumably since your diagnosis and not before (otherwise, assuming that Bernstein's et al claims are true, you wouldn't have developed diabetes). Therefore, it seems unwise to assume that all newly diagnosed patients were regularly low-carbing when they were diagnosed.

Unbeliever

I can see where the poster is coming from. I remember reading somewhere that the HBA1C was going to be used to diagnose in future- a bit worrying maybe.

I think Viv is definitely onto someithing. i didn't have a glucose tolerance test because of the way in which the diabetes was dscovered. I was put on medication immediately and after many years of eating low-carb, low GI, i was forced to eat carbs to alleviate the sickness caused by the medication.

TIn retrospec evryone is saying that my diet and lifesyle must have kept me asympomaic for years
and when a trauma caused it to be discovered the treatment and advice I received just bombarded my poor pancreas and accelerated the condition. They now think I may have had it for 40 years before diagnosis.
I always said I would have beeen better off if they had left me alone. Now I have reverted to my pr-diagnostic lifestyle things have improved but will never be the same.

A proper diagnosis should include as many tess as possible ,,surely but I would not be surprised to see fewer in the future/ Aren't we the only country which doesn't atempt to differeniate between he different condiions all presently under the T"2 umbrella.?
I should think AMBrenna is right in his diagnosisThe poster is diabetic but only just. Lots of time and opporunity to keep it all under control and avoid medicaion..

Anthb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanx for all your input and support guys, I'll take it all in as part as my education about my diabetes, thanx again.................