Please help me first time pump

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’m on injections since I was 12 I’m 29 now and have to choose from one of these

Medtronic minimed 640g

Accucheck combo by Roche

Ypso pump

please help is one of these the best ?would love to know which you advise is the very best ?

My hba1c is 74
I want to have a baby
I’m on avastin injections in both eyes every 6 weeks due to peripheral rethinopathy. I just want a stable well controlled life

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sarahm723

Pumping is very personal bit like owning a car. Most people like the pump they are on (though not all). I would make a list of all the things you need from your pump and then compare against each one marking how much each meets your needs.

I can only comment on the Combo as I had one before I had the Insight, I got on well with it and had no issues with the pump but the handset I found at times a bit painful (from a design perspective), sometimes the handset would just not work even with new batteries in it, I had to bend up the contacts and fiddle with the batteries which was a pain but to be honest in four years it maybe happened once every 2-3 months.

Last edited:

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have CGM and if so which? I think which sensor you use will have an impact on your choice. Medtronic has its own sensor that enables low suspend, and dexcom can be linked with the combo pump via android APS, creating a diy closed loop.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's not on your list but it's worth knowing what other options are out there.
The Tandem t:slim X2 pump will soon be linking up with the Dexcom G6 sensor here in the UK, not sure about Ireland. Initially it will just try to prevent lows, but next year will be updated to a full hybrid closed loop.

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m on the Libre . If nearly prefer to just be given one option I’m over thinking which one should I get and I have absalutely no idea what the best one for me is as iv nothing to compare it with

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean - I've only been on a pump for a few months. I'm sure any pump will help stabilise your blood sugars, though it does take a while to get all the settings "right". The Libre will be a big help though.
Good luck!

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone have a name of someone on here who’s a pump expert cause I read all sorts of reviews online and it’s so hard to get one that I don’t want to make eve wrong desicion thanks very much for replies

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on Medtronic insulin pump for the last 18 year's changing each time a new medtronic pump comes out, but it is a very personal choice, I often look at other makes of pump but for now happy with what I have, hope you enjoy the freedom a pump will give you but remember it will take a little while to get used to it and you may have days when you want to just get rid of it but stick with it the benifits are great

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just waiting to get my pump i decided on the ypso pump due to its size the medtronic looked to clunky for me .i have read loads of reviews some good some not so good .as said its personal choice this was just mine good luck whichever one you decide to go with xx

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you pick one and you don’t like it I wonder can you change it

Thanks everyone for the advice

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I do not know how it works where you are, but in france you have a choice for the health system to buy one out right or to rent it, I had the rented option which meant I can Change my pump when I want with my consultants approval

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Unfortunately no is the answer. You would be stuck with it for 4 years (warranty period)

moori

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. Im not sure how you managed your diabetes for so many years. I was on pens for just under a year and every time I spoke to my nurse, i asked- begged her for a pump. Now I have a Medtronic, its amazing though big. But very reliable. I have it now for 6 month and never had any issue with it.

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow. Im not sure how you managed your diabetes for so many years. I was on pens for just under a year and every time I spoke to my nurse, i asked- begged her for a pump. Now I have a Medtronic, its amazing though big. But very reliable. I have it now for 6 month and never had any issue with it.
I've been T1 for 61 years (since age 2) and the introduction of the pen and basal/bolus system along with personal blood-testing were so wonderful, allowing control to have a chance! Now I am considering, having become pretty good at, trying a pump and monitoring system. Everyone is telling me I do so well I don't need it and they can be more fuss than they're worth. So I don't know...

Reactions: porl69

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've been T1 for 61 years (since age 2) and the introduction of the pen and basal/bolus system along with personal blood-testing were so wonderful, allowing control to have a chance! Now I am considering, having become pretty good at, trying a pump and monitoring system. Everyone is telling me I do so well I don't need it and they can be more fuss than they're worth. So I don't know...

Speaking purely from experience, if you have the chance then get onto a pump, they do take a while to set up and adjust and do require regular monitoring but once this is out of the way they are amazing tools to have, and can make life so much easier in regards to adjusting for exercise or avoiding a hypo event or simply to manage an evening out at a restaurant, personally I wouldn't listen to anyone else to me deciding upon a pump was a no brainer decision, good luck :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

48 years type 1 for me and can still remember the good(?) old days when we didnt have a clue what our BGs were....could tell you the colour of our pee after dropping a fizz bomb in a test tube ;)
I have been on the pump since February and for the life of me I do not know why I didn't ask for one before. I had my best A1C in over 30 years a few weeks ago and not jabbing myself 5 - 10 times a day is a god send. Yeah it took a while to set up BUT my control now is very good. If you get the chance of a pump then jump at it @TJR56

Reactions: ChrissiStar