Need advice on injections, particularly weekly ones and their side effects

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, just had check up and told I must go onto an injection. I have put this off for so long because I had the usual 'toilet' problems taking metformin. I know from reading the forum that lots of people experience the same with injections too. Could anyone give me some advice on possibly their experience. This would be SO helpful. I would prefer to go on a weekly injection. The consultant showed me one that comes in an epipen? Any advice would be welcome on names/side effects etc. Thank you in advance.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard to comment with any validity on your specific situation @ijcrowland . I guess much depends on what you are injecting. From my experience over the past few months injecting insulin 4 times a day I've found no problems at all. I inject using 'epipens' and don't really feel any discomfort when I do the deed. It's certainly less painful than doing the finger prick tests I was doing several times a day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Without naming the drug it is going to be hard for anyone to give advice.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds like the dr is talking about one of these drugs:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/bydureon.html
Or
Both can be given as a weekly injection, but I’m assuming as they are slow release, that if you have side effects, they wouldn’t go away quickly if you stopped it.
Have you tried any dietary approaches to your type 2? And remember a Dr is there to advise not dictate any treatment, make sure you take an informed decision about your medication. Let us know how you get on.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's hard to comment with any validity on your specific situation @ijcrowland . I guess much depends on what you are injecting. From my experience over the past few months injecting insulin 4 times a day I've found no problems at all. I inject using 'epipens' and don't really feel any discomfort when I do the deed. It's certainly less painful than doing the finger prick tests I was doing several times a day.
Thank you for your input. I have been looking up types of injections and their side effects, all of which seem to be vomiting, diarrhoea and sickness. I suffered for years on metformin before someone told me about slow release. I really don't want to go back to staying at home just incase.

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It sounds like the dr is talking about one of these drugs:
Or
Both can be given as a weekly injection, but I’m assuming as they are slow release, that if you have side effects, they wouldn’t go away quickly if you stopped it.
Have you tried any dietary approaches to your type 2? And remember a Dr is there to advise not dictate any treatment, make sure you take an informed decision about your medication. Let us know how you get on.
Thank you for your reply. I have been researching types of injections and peoples reactions to them. I know we are not all the same but it is so much better to get the truth from actual people. I don't want to go back to not going out because of the side effects which all seem to be vomiting, sickness and diarrhoea as basic. Had enough of that with metformin. If I had to choose I think I would probably go for Trulicity. I appreciate what you said about the Dr only being there to advise. I seem to have a fight on my hands with not wanting to go on injections every time with the consultant. My Dr is more understanding. After finally beginning to feel myself again after breast cancer it is hard.