US Insulin Costs!!!!

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree. So glad for the nhs.... let's hope Boris doesn't send us in the direction of America and their health care system !

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's very sad that our type 1's brothers and sisters are out there trying to survive. Unfortunately some have passed away and some have resorted to over the counter old formula insulins from Walmart. It is quite mind boggling that you need a job for insurance so no job, no insurance, however insurance doesn't cover all the costs of insulins, it is still a big pay out from your wallet for it.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse my ignorance on this - perhaps someone can explain:

Insurance companies exist, not to provide healthcare but to make money. As much of it as possible.
So, why is the NHS able to negotiate cheaper prices for medication, such as insulin, but money making companies are willing to support pharma to push the prices up in the US.
As I understand it, even insurance companies pay more in the US than the NHS. For example, when there was an epi-pen shortage, Pfizer chose to fulfill US orders before UK orders because the US insurance companies paid $250 per pen whilst the NHS only paid £30.
That is also another mind boggling piece, I do wonder if Europe and surrounding countries around USA are better at negotiating? Apparently the NHS are still overpaying for insulin.

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Listening to the article it appears that the higher the cost of insulin to the insurance company's the more rebates they get (from who I don't know) . I will guarantee you that neither the Pharmaceutical or insurance companies are loosing money in the deal!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin companies are holding onto their patents for dear life, they are in control of the prices of insulin. :( It's heart breaking to read that a female who is similar age to me and for her to live until she is 70, she'll need something like £2,000,000. Which is absolutely absurd.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's very sad that our type 1's brothers and sisters are out there trying to survive. Unfortunately some have passed away and some have resorted to over the counter old formula insulins from Walmart. It is quite mind boggling that you need a job for insurance so no job, no insurance, however insurance doesn't cover all the costs of insulins, it is still a big pay out from your wallet for it.
Absolutely terrifying isn't it

larrycook99

I live in Lexington, Kentucky and am fortunate that I have insurance, but the way insulin and diabetic supplies are handled is mind-boggling to me.

I use Humalog and Lantus. My insurance deductible is $6000/year. The cost for my insulin through my insurance is about $670 for a box of Humalog pens and $715 for two 10 ml vials of Lantus. If I actually had to pay that, it would be prohibitive. However, since I have insurance the manufacturers have discount programs that allow me to pay $0 for the Lantus and less than $100 for the Humalog but the cost that goes against my deductible is $1375. Once my deductible is satisfied, I then pay $0 for the rest of the year. Then it starts all over again.

So I pay less than $100 for 2 prescriptions that are "valued" at $1375 and everyone seems happy and thriving. I don't see how this works.

Of course, if I didn't have insurance, the discounts aren't available. Why?

On top of that my test strips were not covered at all by my insurance and my Freestyle Libre isn't either, though my insurance gets me a discount on the Libre, but the cost, unlike for insulin, does not apply to my deductible because it is not in their formulary.. None of these make sense to me, because, what good is taking insulin if you are not testing your blood sugar? Isn't that a kind of roulette game?

larrycook99

Wow @larrycook99 is that the same for every State?

No, each insurance carrier has a different formulary of what is covered and to what extent and there may be a standard but I am not aware of that. In some cases, I believe, drug manufacturers negotiate with insurance companies individually to have their drugs covered. So drugs could be covered by some insurers but not others. However the manufacturers discounts are available to all who have private insurance. If you don't have insurance or you are covered by the government (Medicare, etc), then the discounts aren't available.

Reactions: Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Space spy Boris
Space Spy Griselda
The Subterrains of Planet 46
Really does sound like a nightmare to get around.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
In the land of Oz you either pay $AU5.00 (approx) if you are on welfare or $39 for 5 box’s of 5 3ml pens (or equivalent). The government pays AU$160. The reason for the 160 price tag is that is what the government offers to manufacturers. If the manufacturer doesn’t agree you can still sell the insulin for as much as they want, but no one will buy it, and the chemists will not stock something they can’t sell.
The US is one of the greatest places on earth, except for welfare, hospital / medication and public safety.