Jardiance

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys, I’m kind of new to the whole forum world so apologies if it has already been spoken about.
So I was diagnosed with type 2 in October 2018. My hba1c was 87 when I was first diagnosed, 3 month review went down to 74 then to 60. On my last review it had gone up to 74 ‍♀️ I weighed 17stone 7 I’m now 14stone 2 and still going. Target is 11. I walk 1.4 miles every day. I have 3 meals a day.healthier meals and smaller portions, but no matter what I did or how I ate or exercised I could wake up and my blood sugar was 13’s or 14’s I felt fine but obviously I know this is not good.i noticed I started getting higher readings after been put on 2 gliclazide in a morning and 2 at tea time.before I was only one in a morning and one at tea time and my readings weren’t great but they was 9 and 10’s.. I’m on metformin 2 in a morning and 2 at night. So after my hba1c been 74 I have now been put on jardiance.10mg once a day. And wow I feel ropey, I feel dizzy, tired sick but my blood sugars in a morning and throughout the day are way better. 7.5 in a morning and round about 10 after eating so definitely better, I just wondered if it’s my body adjusting to lower blood sugar it’s not used to or if it’s a side effect. Has anyone else been on them and if you had or still have side effects. My anxiety is through the roof :(
Sorry it’s so long.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I'm a relative newbie but want to come and say hello. Are you a type 2 diabetic? The types are all different so that information will help people give advice.

As you are on medication I really can't provide any advice- It might be helpful if you give people some idea as to what you are eating. 7.5 is really at the top of what you want your readings to be and 10 is much higher then ideal. My understanding (remembering I am a newbie) is that you need to keep your readings under 7.8 to avoid the complications from diabetes.

I can speak from my own experience and say yes stress and anxiety can definitely effect your blood sugar levels and not for the better.

You speak about healthier meals- what do you class as healthier. In my experience a lot of what we have been told about healthier options just don't work for diabetics- generally we don't tolerate carbs at all- it's not just sugar it's all carbs so a meal including fruit its definitely not healthier for us.

Anyway some more experienced people will be here shortly- in the meantime welcome and if you let people know what type you are, what type of food you are eating that will help people give you some advice.

Reactions: Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi thank you for your response, I did state in my post I am type 2. and i eat things like scrambled eggs, salads, yogurt no fat Greek, my biggest carb intake is mash potatoes with a Sunday dinner, I don’t like sugar so sweets and chocolate for me are a no way anyway..2 slices of seeded granary whole meal toast. I’m not a massive eater but I try to eat something so I have 3 meals a day.I worry about the complications which is why my anxiety is so bad.i just think diabetes great I’m now a walking heart disease.i know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it,I hate I think like that. I drink plenty of water and as I said 7.5 is better than I have been doing. Hoping to get it lower and regulate it better and reverse this eventually instead of panicking constantly because 7.5 for me is low compared to what I’m used to.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. I took 10mg Jardiance for about 5 weeks after my diagnosis. I can honestly say it’s the only med I’d been given at the time that gave me zero side effects. But, we’re all different. Dizzy and lightheaded do seem to be common side effects from a quick google search. I don’t know if they are expected to go away after you get acclimated to the drug. I would definitely call your doctor.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry- you are right I missed that you are a type 2- so am I -welcome.

Some people find that any potato causes their blood levels to spike so those mash potatoes are probably not helping. the toast also are carbs and will also cause issues with most type 2s.

You can get side effects from your body getting used to lower blood sugar levels but I think you should call your doctor and discuss those symptoms.

Your weight loss is amazing and I feel envious so you are obviously doing a lot right. I'm sure as you continue the blood sugar levels will drop some more.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Welcome to the forum. I took 10mg Jardiance for about 5 weeks after my diagnosis. I can honestly say it’s the only med I’d been given at the time that gave me zero side effects. But, we’re all different. Dizzy and lightheaded do seem to be common side effects from a quick google search. I don’t know if they are expected to go away after you get acclimated to the drug. I would definitely call your doctor.

Thank you for the reply, can I ask why it was only for 5 weeks, is it because you managed to stabilise your blood sugar?? I don’t have any side effects from metformin or gliclazide but I definitely feel weird on these. They are helping though which is good. I shall get through the weekend and give my doctor a call.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can't comment on Jardiance, but as others have said do keep the carbs down and don't worry about fats in food as they have nothing to do with diabetes and in fact little to do with heart disease despite the 'experts' saying otherwise.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply, can I ask why it was only for 5 weeks, is it because you managed to stabilise your blood sugar?? I don’t have any side effects from metformin or gliclazide but I definitely feel weird on these. They are helping though which is good. I shall get through the weekend and give my doctor a call.
@Dudette1 are you also on statins as those were some of the side effects I had with them. You could also check with your pharmacist if they are still open - I tend to give them a ring if I’m ever concerned and, as they have access to my medications they are usuall6 more helpful than my GP!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes. Immediately upon my diagnosis, I started to exercise regularly and cut up all “white carbs”, bread, pasta, rice and including my beloved potato :(. Soon, the Jardiance started to give me lows, particularly after exercise, so I stopped it. I was going to call my doctor for something else, but my testing at home showed I was in the ranges my doctor had given me, so I didn’t call her. I did remain on the Metformin I was also started on for another 3 months.

Are you staying hydrated? That’s important with Jardiance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi and Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Thank you for your help, I have to have potatoes once a week just not a big portion, it’s the only thing that makes me feel happy yeah I feel more exhausted after exercise, more than normal. the other day I felt like my legs would give way. I haven’t had the dizzy feeling today so that’s a bonus.do get slightly confused,forgetful,say things wrong when I’ve had these tablets. .but I think it’s just my lower blood sugar, I know it’s not low as such to some but my body was functioning on 15s for months. I’ve had curry and cauliflower rice and after 2 hours I was 6.7 so they are working.i shall ring up Monday and have a chat.ive had no side effects from the gliclazide or metformin. Yes I drink plenty of water I heard dehydration was a side effect.

Millie74

Hi guys, I’m kind of new to the whole forum world so apologies if it has already been spoken about.
So I was diagnosed with type 2 in October 2018. My hba1c was 87 when I was first diagnosed, 3 month review went down to 74 then to 60. On my last review it had gone up to 74 ‍♀️ I weighed 17stone 7 I’m now 14stone 2 and still going. Target is 11. I walk 1.4 miles every day. I have 3 meals a day.healthier meals and smaller portions, but no matter what I did or how I ate or exercised I could wake up and my blood sugar was 13’s or 14’s I felt fine but obviously I know this is not good.i noticed I started getting higher readings after been put on 2 gliclazide in a morning and 2 at tea time.before I was only one in a morning and one at tea time and my readings weren’t great but they was 9 and 10’s.. I’m on metformin 2 in a morning and 2 at night. So after my hba1c been 74 I have now been put on jardiance.10mg once a day. And wow I feel ropey, I feel dizzy, tired sick but my blood sugars in a morning and throughout the day are way better. 7.5 in a morning and round about 10 after eating so definitely better, I just wondered if it’s my body adjusting to lower blood sugar it’s not used to or if it’s a side effect. Has anyone else been on them and if you had or still have side effects. My anxiety is through the roof :(
Sorry it’s so long.

I took 10mg of Jardiance for ten days. Was extremely thirsty at night and felt nauseous and had headaches on the afternoon. I had extreme anxiety about this drug. I have stopped it. Still taking Metformin 2000mg a day. Feel ok on metformin. Was put on it as was diagnosed with 96mmol hba1c in Jan. in June it was down to 52. Then in August went up to 56. I am going to try under 50g carb a day as was averaging at 70. The nurse has given me a target of hba1c of 48mmol as she says I have background retinopathy and am young. I hated fact Jardiance new drug and long term effects not known.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I took 10mg of Jardiance for ten days. Was extremely thirsty at night and felt nauseous and had headaches on the afternoon. I had extreme anxiety about this drug. I have stopped it. Still taking Metformin 2000mg a day. Feel ok on metformin. Was put on it as was diagnosed with 96mmol hba1c in Jan. in June it was down to 52. Then in August went up to 56. I am going to try under 50g carb a day as was averaging at 70. The nurse has given me a target of hba1c of 48mmol as she says I have background retinopathy and am young. I hated fact Jardiance new drug and long term effects not known.

Thanks for your reply. I think I’m extremely anxious about this drug as well but it is drastically bringing my blood sugar down. My readings are 4.0 and 7.5 after food. I went to hospital the other day as I felt so awful. Headaches confusion and just feeling really unwell. They checked my kidneys and was all clear. They have now put me on 1 gliclazide in a morning along with 2 metformin then jardiance 1 a day. And 1 gliclazide at tea time and 2 metformin. I think double dosing me with gliclazide my body felt shot with it drastically bringing my blood sugar down. So trying for another week and if I still feel ill on jardiance I’m going to ask for it to be stopped. Fingers crossed for you your hba1c comes down :) it’s awful trying to find the right balance and what foods. I substitute rice for cauliflower rice if I have curry and although I was ready to cry I actually really enjoy it.

Reactions: Millie74

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dudette,

You can also try cauliflower mash which I quite like. My husband did a broccoli and cauliflower mash with cheese which was actually really nice.

Good luck with reducing the medication and keeping the levels down. I Think that is the real shining light of this forum the information that eating the correct food rather than the 'healthy' food may positively effect your blood sugar levels. I think it is great to feel like you have information which has worked for people.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi Dudette,

You can also try cauliflower mash which I quite like. My husband did a broccoli and cauliflower mash with cheese which was actually really nice.

Good luck with reducing the medication and keeping the levels down. I Think that is the real shining light of this forum the information that eating the correct food rather than the 'healthy' food may positively effect your blood sugar levels. I think it is great to feel like you have information which has worked for people.

I shall try this thank you. Mashed Potatoes are my weakness it’s the only thing I’ve found the hardest to cut out. So I only have them once a week now and I want them 7 days a week Bread, I only have 2 slices of whole meal in a morning so I’m fuller for longer. I don’t bother with bread other than that. Pasta and rice I’ve found that easy to cut out.. my fave meal I have a lot is fried diced chicken, fried onion,lettuce and cheese with mayo all mixed together.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I shall try this thank you. Mashed Potatoes are my weakness it’s the only thing I’ve found the hardest to cut out. So I only have them once a week now and I want them 7 days a week Bread, I only have 2 slices of whole meal in a morning so I’m fuller for longer. I don’t bother with bread other than that. Pasta and rice I’ve found that easy to cut out.. my fave meal I have a lot is fried diced chicken, fried onion,lettuce and cheese with mayo all mixed together.
@Dudette1 whole meal bread is usually fairly high carb however, if you like bread, Tesco do a High Protein loaf which is 10g per carbs - I usually find one slice enough particularly loaded with filling or toasted with eggs. Do you routinely test to see how you react to foods?

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
@Dudette1 whole meal bread is usually fairly high carb however, if you like bread, Tesco do a High Protein loaf which is 10g per carbs - I usually find one slice enough particularly loaded with filling or toasted with eggs. Do you routinely test to see how you react to foods?

I tried the low carb bread and it sent my blood sugar through the roof. Which is why I stick to whole meal or seeded. I don’t test religiously 2 hours after food unless it’s something new I have tried. Since they have reduced my gliclazide I’m now getting readings around 5.8 in a morning and 6.3-7.5 after food. I feel a lot better as well, compared to 13s in a morning and 15s after food. I don’t do a low carb diet as such but I have substituted certain high carb foods like rice and pasta. My diet used to consist of a sausage egg and cheese sandwich large and I wouldn’t eat for the rest of the day. Or if I skipped my sausage sandwich in a morning and didn’t have breakfast I would always have a big portion of pasta bake. A Big home made meal like meat and potato pie. Or I could go through a pack of Doritos or Pringles in 5 mins. I’m not one for sweets or chocolate I did no exercise..now I just eat better, walk around 2 miles everyday and eat 3 smaller meals. I felt so down we take for granted that you can eat whatever you want and nothing could come of it. I was always around 13 stone, then I left my job due to depression and never moved off the sofa for around a year except to go to the toilet and eat something, I never went out. I ballooned to 17 stone 7 and got sent to hospital and was diagnosed. This made me worse but after talking to myself over and over I went and bought another dog after mine was ran over around 2 years ago after saying I will never have another dog. I had something that relied on me and gave me a reason to get up off my backside. I’m now 14 stone 2 and still going my target weight is 11 stone. I’ve started a course at university and trying to better myself in every way I can. The course is online as I still hate going out unless it’s away from people where I can quietly walk my dog. But I’m hoping I will get better and fighting myself everyday that one day I will get back to the person I truly am.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dudette1 hopefully you’ll get to where you want to be. It’s interesting how foods affect people differently. I don’t like the low carb bread but do enjoy the seeded high protein ones which have little effect on my BS. I’m not ultra low carb and tend to average between 100 - 130g per day. I had a jacket potato with prawns last night which I hadn’t had for ages and my BS was 7.00 after 2 hours and 5.8 this morning so I may have it again. If you like pasta try cooking, cooling then reheating it - I have it occasionally and find my BS are ok.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
@Dudette1 hopefully you’ll get to where you want to be. It’s interesting how foods affect people differently. I don’t like the low carb bread but do enjoy the seeded high protein ones which have little effect on my BS. I’m not ultra low carb and tend to average between 100 - 130g per day. I had a jacket potato with prawns last night which I hadn’t had for ages and my BS was 7.00 after 2 hours and 5.8 this morning so I may have it again. If you like pasta try cooking, cooling then reheating it - I have it occasionally and find my BS are ok.
I shall try this with pasta thank you. :) although it’s not something I actually miss unless my son wants spaghetti and meatballs.oh how I miss my twice baked potatoes, but that’s excellent, hope it stays within range for you.I might give it ago, it’s stopping at one that’s the problem for me ha!

Reactions: Daphne917