Post breakfast highs told to increase insulin causing hypo

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've sent my libre readings off to Dsn she's come back advising that post breakfast is a bit high and to increase my morning dose from 6to 7 units so I've tried this morning after a bowl of bite size shredded wheat 2 hours later and my sugars on 4 .2 still dropping .

I haven't even taken a basal shot for today as I use toujeo .

How can I stop the levels from dropping and keep them steady ?

Reactions: Knikki

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Highest it's been was between 8 and 9.

I tried taking the insulin before eating to see if that helped but didn't make a lot of difference .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Highest it's been was between 8 and 9.

Wow. Look, I know we're not allowed to advise on doses or readings but....

I'm a T1 who's had 2 successful T1 pregnancies, pre libre but post glucometer. My mother was T1 when she had me, pre glucometer. Those readings are way tighter than the pregnancy recommendations twenty and sixty years ago.... (Well, to be fair, when my mother had me and my brother the only testing available was urine testing so that you knew whether your blood sugar was above or below 10).

I second @Knikki on not relying too much on the libre - it's very accurate for some people but not for all. It's well worth checking with a glucometer to see how accurate those "highs" are. Remember there is a 15 minute lag between your blood sugar reading and your libre reading. (ie check libre 15 minutes after blood sugar test.)

Good luck.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've sent my libre readings off to Dsn she's come back advising that post breakfast is a bit high and to increase my morning dose from 6to 7 units so I've tried this morning after a bowl of bite size shredded wheat 2 hours later and my sugars on 4 .2 still dropping .

I haven't even taken a basal shot for today as I use toujeo .

How can I stop the levels from dropping and keep them steady ?

Do you have the same breakfast every morning and the same amount? Novo rapid should be used with carb counting, the more you eat, the more you need. When you dose it depends on how quickly it raises your glucose levels. If you were running at 8/9 and are now taking 1 more unit of insulin, it shouldn't make you go hypo, but we are all different. It could be some other factor? Like exercise, weather, timings of insulin etc.

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been diagnosed for 2 years now .I'm on humalog .

Before pregnancy I was allowed to go up to 9. Now should be 6.4 2 hours after meals and 5 .2 fasting.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, just a thought, have you spoken to DSN about an insulin pump? My team started me on mine when I was 5 weeks pregnant with my daughter, 3 years ago now. They said they like all their pregnant patients to be on when, even if they’d like to come off it after giving birth. Sorry if this answer is no longer needed as I can see it was posted a while ago. But as you get further along in your pregnancy, hormones will start to make your levels rise and insulin resistance will kick in. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you are doing an excellent job! Especially if you are worrying about 8-9’s and not higher.
Hope you’re pregnancy is going well:) x