ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I do have a hormone imbalance that's connected to my PCOS that gives me a massive appetite and no switch off for food.

I don't understand why you claim I put words into your mouth when all I did was quote your words back to you, with the addition of 'all' since you claimed to lack the usual satiety mechanism for Fats and Protein

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why you claim I put words into your mouth when all I did was quote your words back to you, with the addition of 'all' since you claimed to lack the usual satiety mechanism for Fats and Protein
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have since read her recent post in here and it seems she was just trying to be extra-open-minded, not that she wanted to push a High Carb agenda. Not that it needs any pushing in the wider world - LOL!

You are twisting things again. The high carb very low fat diet I was talking about is nothing like the high carb diet in the wider world (as I said on my thread.) It is the mix of carbs and fats that is the problem. The wider world loves the 50/50 split. That's the most lethal combination.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianf0ster Some of us have other conditions besides T2 which makes things a lot more complicated for us.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooops sorry I posted the previous reply before I had finished.

I found out about carb addiction, or what I prefer to call 'carb hunger' on my own by accident. This must be the 6th time I have posted this, so apologies to those who have read it before, the OP obviously hasn't.

Several years ago (maybe 13?) I was in the habit of making bacon butties for my son and myself for breakfast. One day I ran out of bread so I gave my son butties as usual whilst I just had the same amount of bacon as usual with a small amount of butter. I was normally starving hungry and snacking at 10 am and maybe once more before I had lunch at 12. That day I worked through till 1 pm without any hunger at all and still wasn't desperate to eat anything then. That didn't make sense. How could I be more satiated by less food? It was such a lovely feeling to be free of that awful hunger that I experimented further and cut out potatoes, pasta and rice. Pastry and sugar had been cut out years before as I was trying to lose weight.

So that was my first taste of lower carbing. I very slowly stopped gaining weight and began to lose some.

Why do people overeat on junk carbs? Their bodies crave nutrition.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do people overeat on junk carbs? Their bodies crave nutrition.

Thanks zand for sharing how you discovered the benefits of low carb.

I agree completely with your post above. I've been eating keto for 4 1/2 years now. Interestingly I naturally progressed to using time restricted feeding earlier this year because my body was telling me I was eating too much. I dropped down to two meals a day 3 days a week and it's working beautifully for me. Am very gradually losing weight too. It's amazing how the body responds when eating a nutritionally dense diet that is both animal and plant based.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You are twisting things again. The high carb very low fat diet I was talking about is nothing like the high carb diet in the wider world (as I said on my thread.) It is the mix of carbs and fats that is the problem. The wider world loves the 50/50 split. That's the most lethal combination.

No I am not twisting things. I definitely didn't say that I spent 15+yrs eating anything like 50% carbs and 50% fat!. I gave details of my typical meals (in that thread of yours) and it was more like 70% carbs, 20% Protein and 10% Fat.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, I need to clarify. The carbs I eat are mostly non-starchy vegetables, leafy greens and raw nuts, but I do eat a small amount of fruit, berries, and fiber rich starchy vegetables, legumes or beans, but again, very, very small amounts. I have to walk the latter off.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I am not twisting things. I definitely didn't say that I spent 15+yrs eating anything like 50% carbs and 50% fat!. I gave details of my typical meals (in that thread of yours) and it was more like 70% carbs, 20% Protein and 10% Fat.
Thank you. Now I know that if I ever try again then 10% fat is too high. :)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it all back. I just tried a new hummus from a local company because they use only olive oil, not seed oils. Lemon dill flavor. This might just leave me seriously addicted.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it addiction or is it simply the enjoyment of various foods? I suppose for some it might be addiction. For me it is just enjoyment. If I was addicted to carbs I would never have ceased porridge for example which I used to enjoy a lot. I haven’t eaten a cake (except a low carb carrot cake) for months though I used to frequently enjoy cakes.

As I need to restrict my carb intake now I eat other low carb or no carb foods that I enjoy but am not addicted to.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The relief of knowing its not our fault we have these binge cravings, and we are not weak or stupid or useless,
Hi Lucy, I gave up smoking I was on 40 a day I had convinced myself for 30 years I could not give up because I was "addicted to nicotine", nicotine is a highly addictive substance.

This is the mind set I refer to.

This is not meant to diminish anyone who is struggling with any kind of disorder BED or otherwise but an observation on human nature. People use the phrase "I'm addicted to ....." like chocolate or anything else you can think of. All the time they don't realy mean it.

We have all, each and everyone of us, used an excuse to get out of doing something we think will be hard or we don't want to do are you saying that you disagree? There is no one out there who will use "I'm addicted to carbs" as an excuse to give up before they start.

That's not how will power works.
:bag:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It was you that digressed. I had to correct you. You occasionally throw in an inaccuracy.
Not inaccurate. There is no physiological need for humans to ingest carbohydrates. If I must, I will qualify that by adding that in the presence of ... where available... in the modern world... when finances allow. I refuse to be part of an argument that will (yet again) derail a perfectly good thread.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lucy, I gave up smoking I was on 40 a day I had convinced myself for 30 years I could not give up because I was "addicted to nicotine", nicotine is a highly addictive substance.

This is the mind set I refer to.

This is not meant to diminish anyone who is struggling with any kind of disorder BED or otherwise but an observation on human nature. People use the phrase "I'm addicted to ....." like chocolate or anything else you can think of. All the time they don't realy mean it.

We have all, each and everyone of us, used an excuse to get out of doing something we think will be hard or we don't want to do are you saying that you disagree? There is no one out there who will use "I'm addicted to carbs" as an excuse to give up before they start.

That's not how will power works.
I agree with you as that is how it is for me (except I never smoked). But I do concede that for some it might be harder to forgo carbs or other food substances. I tend to see it as lack of willpower but that might be being unfair.

D

Deleted member 308541

I was "addicted to nicotine", nicotine is a highly addictive substance.
The same here I was addicted to nicotine, and I managed to give it up cold turkey nearly thirty years ago. Before I was pronounced a T2 I regularly ate half a bag of oven chips for a snack, I had rice several times a week because I liked eating it and it made a change from spuds. I was not addicted to them (carbs) though, bananas were a problem when they were selling for $00:50 a kilo though, so giving them up was not a hassle.

I cut right back on the carbs and my hba1c has stabilised around the 34 mmol/mol level although I still eat a small amount of lower carb bread and potatoes. My weight is stable around the 95 kilo mark and off of all diabetic medication.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, those with BED will binge on proteins and fats too - cheese, bacon and nut butters being a classic example.
“Carbs” being addictive? Nah.

Then you have to class proteins and fats as addictive too according to your example.

Which has absolutely noting to do with that I said sorry if you picked it up wrong I can see this is personal to you, my comment is on human nature not behaviour. It was not designed to belittle anyone's struggle.
Just my experience of the world through observation, some people will jump at a good excuse to not even try. I am sure you know people like this "oh I can't cut the grass it looks like it might rain"

"I'll do it tomorrow." ;)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to see it as lack of willpower but that might be being unfair.
Perhaps. Not everybody has the same amount of will power so to blame someone for lacking the same amount to start with, seems unfair but I think I know where your coming form.

Just as with spoon theory there is an idea that we only have a certain amount of will power available to us dung the day.This could be why we think " I have been good all day "and give in to temptation at night our will power for the day has been spent. :bored:

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, I dunno Guzzler. When I am in the canteen I watch in amazement at the amount of extra salt literally being poured onto food. Not sure whether they just like the taste or its habit.
My understanding has long been that we (as a rule) like salt in much the same way as we like sugar.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tangential arguments abound.