Spiking BG this the morning

Kimberley2026

I seem to be having a lot of spiking blood glucose reading every morning! I know I suffer with dawn phenomenon but I just can’t get a handle on the BG in the AM. They tend to start behaving after lunch but until then it is a battle!

I have tried various different breakfast to see if that is causing it. Anyone got any breakfast ideas I can try to see if I can at least maintain BG? Or any tips on trying to reduce them?

I am currently on Levermir for my background insulin and FIASP for my quick acting insulin, as well as slow release Metformin.

TIA

malhotrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to be having a lot of spiking blood glucose reading every morning! I know I suffer with dawn phenomenon but I just can’t get a handle on the BG in the AM. They tend to start behaving after lunch but until then it is a battle!

I have tried various different breakfast to see if that is causing it. Anyone got any breakfast ideas I can try to see if I can at least maintain BG? Or any tips on trying to reduce them?

I am currently on Levermir for my background insulin and FIASP for my quick acting insulin, as well as slow release Metformin.

TIA
Have you tested at night around 3am? If you are going low at night then blood sugars can be very high and uncontrollable in the morning. It is better to make sure that this is not the case. You can also google for Somogyi effect. If this is the case then preventing lows while sleeping will address your problem.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you split dose the levemir and what time / times do you take it?