Walt Disney World Disability Access Service

binkybun

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I am a type 1 and have both the omnipod and the libre. I am going to Disney World in Florida in 4 days and I was wondering if anyone has been successful with getting the disability access service in the parks. It's not my first time going to Disney but it is since I found out we are classed as having an invisible disability, and wondered if we are able as diabetics to access this service? I'm just worried about keeping the insulin in my active pod cool in the florida heat. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m off to Disneyworld on the 11th. I’ve done a bit of research and you can ask for a DAS card but need to explain why you cannot stand in the queues like other guests. For example just saying you are T1 May not qualify but saying that the heat makes you hypo very quickly and you need to stay in air conditioned spaces as much as possible may mean you are given a DAS cars.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I’m off to Disneyworld on the 11th. I’ve done a bit of research and you can ask for a DAS card but need to explain why you cannot stand in the queues like other guests. For example just saying you are T1 May not qualify but saying that the heat makes you hypo very quickly and you need to stay in air conditioned spaces as much as possible may mean you are given a DAS cars.

The heat does have a big affect on my BG.s, but not been on a holiday for a very long time or planning any.
Have a great holiday @Dabootie :)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

I am a type 1 and have both the omnipod and the libre. I am going to Disney World in Florida in 4 days and I was wondering if anyone has been successful with getting the disability access service in the parks. It's not my first time going to Disney but it is since I found out we are classed as having an invisible disability, and wondered if we are able as diabetics to access this service? I'm just worried about keeping the insulin in my active pod cool in the florida heat. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you

I can't help with holiday's, but the heat does affect my BG a lot.
I hope you have a lovely time in Florida.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
since I found out we are classed as having an invisible disability
Edited as somehow my comment was missing.
Changes to invisible disability access, in particular blue badges, was a recent UK announcement. I hope something similar also applies in Florida.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would guess that as the American social security blue book lists diabetes as a disability due to associated conditions it would be generally accepted as a disability.

This is only a guess though and I cannot be certain of the veracity of that conjecture.

Endocrine Disorders and Social Security Disability
The Social Security Administration (SSA) uses a document known as the Blue Book to list common disorders and conditions which qualify for Social Security disability benefits and to lay out the parameters under which a person with those conditions can qualify as completely disabled. In June 2011, the SSA added a section on endocrine disorders. Endocrine orders are covered in section 9 of the Blue Book.
Although Section 9 of the Blue Book is devoted to endocrine disorders, the listing does not deal with the qualifications for Social Security disability benefits directly. Rather, endocrine disorders are evaluated based on the other body or mental/emotional functions which they affect. Several examples are listed in the Blue Book, including:
Adrenal Gland Disorders, which can be evaluated using the criteria for the musculoskeletal system (Section 1), the cardiovascular system (Section 4), the digestive system (Section 5) or mental disorders (Section 12), depending on which system or function the disorder affects.
Diabetes/ Hyperglycemia/ other pancreatic gland disorders - These disorders affect numerous body systems and functions, and may be evaluated under any of them which are appropriate. Common ones are cardiovascular (Section 4), digestive (Section 5), neurological (Section 11), and mental disorders (Section 12).
Parathyroid Gland Disorders - These disorders affect the Calcium levels in a variety of body tissues and may be evaluated, as appropriate, under Section 1 (musculoskeletal system), Section 2(special senses and speech), Section 6 (genitourinary impairments), or Section 11(neurological disorders).
Thyroid Gland Disorders - These are typically evaluated under the listings for cardiovascular disorders (Section 4), or digestive disorders (Section 5). If the hormonal imbalance is causing strokes, your claim may also be evaluated under Section 11 (neurological conditions). If the imbalance is causing anxiety or mental/emotional disorders, it may also be evaluated under Section 12 (mental disorders).
Pituitary Gland Disorders - These may be evaluated under any appropriate section based on the functions or body systems which are affected by the hormonal imbalance.
If your endocrine disorder is shown to meet the criteria in the Section of the Blue Book under which it is evaluated, you may be eligible for Social Security disability benefits. If it doesn’t, you will need to show that the overall effects of your condition, combined with the effects of any other disabling conditions you have, make it unreasonable for you to be expected to continue working. Generally speaking, this involves showing that your condition makes it impossible for you to perform any work which is available anywhere in the country for which you are qualified.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/endocrine-disorders