Omnipod in N/W England

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can anyone please tell me are there any hospitals in the north-west who supply the Omnipod? I believe my hospital (Arrowe Park) doesn’t offer any kind of pump so I’d need to get referred elsewhere, but ideally I’d like the Omnipod so I’d like to get referred somewhere that can offer the actual pump I want! Thank you

Reactions: tircoed

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is your interest in OmniPod or a patch pump?
My local CCG do not support OmniPod because it is one of the most expensive pumps.
However, they support the Medtrum A6 patch pump which I have.
This is a similar size to the OmniPod with a "more modern" remote control.

I am not in the North West...just suggesting you may not need to limit yourself to one pump.

Thank you Helen, that’s really helpful. I hadn’t heard of the Medtrum so will look into it. I’d be happy to have either I’m just not keen on any wires due to young children who constantly climb on me!

tircoed

I’m on the Omnipod,I rang them directly and asked what hospital in my area did the pod,the hospital I was attending didn’t do the Omnipod so changed to another hospital in my area who did , been on it for 3 years and love it. Good Luck hope you managed to get one

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Wythenshaw (South Manchester) hospital offers it. I self-referred from my previous hospital Stepping Hill (Stockport) (which had dreadful diabetic care) and at the time invested in a Libre to start sharing why I felt a pump (could have been any) offered better control. After a few meetings, a DAFNE course, you could provide insight into what pump seemed best and after 2 months a pump was issued. That is coming up to 3 years ago this December and took about 9 months before that point. A warning though, a lot of this is governed by NICE criteria which can dictate which hospital offers what.