Reactive Hypoglycemia Anxiety treatment while having RH

Nemoo

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i’m so confused because I don’t know what i’m suffering From all I knew is that my blood sugar goes down to 80 and 90 after 1 to two hours of eating and if I didn’t eat frequently I will get hypo, but at the same time I’m suffering from anxiety and I feel like I’m getting hypos while I’m not my blood sugar levels when I measure it while I’m feeling awful most of the times are 100 and 90 and rarely when i find it under 60 but i do get hypos, now I’m so tired of my anxiety because I’m scared all day of getting hypos to a point that I couldn’t leave my home so i went to a psychiatrist and gave me buspar 10 and depreban 20 I started taking them today and I feel a little bit better but i’m worried about getting hypos and don’t feel them and a lot of bad thoughts so I’m wondering if anyone tried taking medicines like those and is there any relationship between the medicines and my health issue or what ..I really need some experience about this issue
Ps my doctor said all i’m suffering From like hypos and pre diabetic status because of anxiety and stress, and when I take the medicines everything will back to normal

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, i’m so confused because I don’t know what i’m suffering From all I knew is that my blood sugar goes down to 80 and 90 after 1 to two hours of eating and if I didn’t eat frequently I will get hypo, but at the same time I’m suffering from anxiety and I feel like I’m getting hypos while I’m not my blood sugar levels when I measure it while I’m feeling awful most of the times are 100 and 90 and rarely when i find it under 60 but i do get hypos, now I’m so tired of my anxiety because I’m scared all day of getting hypos to a point that I couldn’t leave my home so i went to a psychiatrist and gave me buspar 10 and depreban 20 I started taking them today and I feel a little bit better but i’m worried about getting hypos and don’t feel them and a lot of bad thoughts so I’m wondering if anyone tried taking medicines like those and is there any relationship between the medicines and my health issue or what ..I really need some experience about this issue
Hi @Nemoo welcome to the forum.
First of all, have you had a true diagnosis, had the series of tests from an endocrinologist?
Second, if you have the condition, you should have had information on how and why you are having episodes of Hypoglycaemia. If you want to get control and be healthy, the sticky information at the top of the RH forum page, will give you the basics.
Read about RH as much as possible and understand the condition.
Ok, I think with the symptoms of anxiety, this is caused by the fluctuations in blood glucose levels, the rollercoaster ride of going high then low blood glucose levels.
At times the lack of glucose reaching the really important parts of the brain will have your anxiety levels high, as with other symptoms such as dizziness, lethargy, forgetfulness, memory loss and others, probably some you don't know you have.
Anxiety is a symptom of RH, not a condition as such. Then again, your anxiety could be a condition, but the way you phrased it, it probably is a symptom.
So, because the best treatment for RH is dietary changes, if you get control of your blood glucose levels and stop the succession of Hypoglycaemic episodes, the level of anxiety will be far more manageable.
In my opinion, drugs are not the answer to symptoms of anxiety because of RH. If you have lactose intolerance, like quite a few RH ers, the lactose in the tablets will effect your health.
I would question your doctor and have reservations about drugs for RH. There is no cure, and dietary choices can be a healthier alternative to them. I have been diagnosed over four years and my balance of healthy foods for me is working really well.
I had really bad symptoms of anxiety before I was diagnosed.
It is all down to what you eat.
Best wishes, keep asking.

Nemoo

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Nemoo welcome to the forum.
First of all, have you had a true diagnosis, had the series of tests from an endocrinologist?
Second, if you have the condition, you should have had information on how and why you are having episodes of Hypoglycaemia. If you want to get control and be healthy, the sticky information at the top of the RH forum page, will give you the basics.
Read about RH as much as possible and understand the condition.
Ok, I think with the symptoms of anxiety, this is caused by the fluctuations in blood glucose levels, the rollercoaster ride of going high then low blood glucose levels.
At times the lack of glucose reaching the really important parts of the brain will have your anxiety levels high, as with other symptoms such as dizziness, lethargy, forgetfulness, memory loss and others, probably some you don't know you have.
Anxiety is a symptom of RH, not a condition as such. Then again, your anxiety could be a condition, but the way you phrased it, it probably is a symptom.
So, because the best treatment for RH is dietary changes, if you get control of your blood glucose levels and stop the succession of Hypoglycaemic episodes, the level of anxiety will be far more manageable.
In my opinion, drugs are not the answer to symptoms of anxiety because of RH. If you have lactose intolerance, like quite a few RH ers, the lactose in the tablets will effect your health.
I would question your doctor and have reservations about drugs for RH. There is no cure, and dietary choices can be a healthier alternative to them. I have been diagnosed over four years and my balance of healthy foods for me is working really well.
I had really bad symptoms of anxiety before I was diagnosed.
It is all down to what you eat.
Best wishes, keep asking.
Yes i had and all my tests are very well it doesn’t even rich to pre diabetes level my ha1c in the normal levels it’s only my postprandial every time i do it the results always under 90 and in (2009) i did a postprandial blood sugar and it was 67 and i was living my life very well and my family didn’t pay attention about it but now when I really focused in my situation i get anxiety and panic attacks for no reason.. so I don’t really know what is going on in my body

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes i had and all my tests are very well it doesn’t even rich to pre diabetes level my ha1c in the normal levels it’s only my postprandial every time i do it the results always under 90 and in (2009) i did a postprandial blood sugar and it was 67 and i was living my life very well and my family didn’t pay attention about it but now when I really focused in my situation i get anxiety and panic attacks for no reason.. so I don’t really know what is going on in my body

Hi again, I do believe your hormonal response is imbalanced to the point that every time you have food something happens.
That is why I would recommend a period of time, to find out which foods are actually doing this to you.
Perhaps, a food diary, if you have a glucometer, the testing, should be very integral about what you have ate, even down to carb counting, you need to test pre meal then one hour and then two hours to see how high you spike for every different food type, every plate size and how you exercise. Then if you go hypo or not.

I learned a lot from my food diary, I never knew that potatoes, porridge and other so called healthy foods, were not healthy for me.
You have to find out, why food makes you ill, it's a disturbing mind blowing realisation that you should not be eating food that every one else can tolerate.

I have found that my levels of anxiety, comes in waves, good days, bad days, stress, work, family problems and your own health can effect you so much.
If you are stressed in any way, your cortisol levels, your adrenaline levels, your hormonal response to what is happening to you will increase, which ultimately will raise your glucose levels. The body reacts to hormones as it does to food.
You are seeking for answers, so I would assume that you are having a particular awful time lately, maybe some bad news, some accident or family pressure has increased your anxiety to levels you don't normally have. With the RH, I know it can be really hard on your health, and your mental health issues.

Talk to your GP, or someone who has experience about anxiety. Do not let it fester, do not keep second guessing yourself. Be positive and take care.

Best wishes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Nemoo, The BSLS you mentioned of 80 and 90 mg/mL would not generally be considered to be in the hypo range according to the usual quoted ranges (see Home Page and Management of Diabetes.
As others have said there are special tests designed to help diagnose RH which is really important.
If you do have RH something can be done but if you do not, then that is one less thing to be concerned about.
Best Wishes.

sunil bansall

Hi all, I am also having my glucose level low from last 8 months. Actually I am also have the feeling of anxiety from 7 months , since then My insulin level empty stomach is 40 . My blood sugar level goes down within 3 hour after taking meal up to 80 and I got shaking feelings. Pancreas testing found no cyst or tumor in the pancreas. PET Scan has also been done for the whole body to locate any other tumor but that is also normal. Please suggest any other finding or any other solution to find the cause of high insulin level.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I am also having my glucose level low from last 8 months. Actually I am also have the feeling of anxiety from 7 months , since then My insulin level empty stomach is 40 . My blood sugar level goes down within 3 hour after taking meal up to 80 and I got shaking feelings. Pancreas testing found no cyst or tumor in the pancreas. PET Scan has also been done for the whole body to locate any other tumor but that is also normal. Please suggest any other finding or any other solution to find the cause of high insulin level.

Hi and welcome @sunil bansall I’m sorry that you are having such a miserable time.

I am afraid that no one here can offer you a diagnosis or medical advice, but there re a lot of people here with experience of RH and hypos, and we can talk about our experiences and share information with you.

Could you tell me what units your blood glucose is measured in?
Have they tested you for any adrenal disorder?
And have you been advised to eat a particular diet?

My own RH has been successfully treated by dietary changes, so that is where most of my knowledge and advice comes from.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If you have had a few tests and the scan you had for pancreatic cysts shows normal.
You probably need a fasting test which is up to 72 hours.
This will give your doctors an idea if you do not go hypo during the fast.
The high insulin or hyperinsulinaemia is probably caused by your diet!
If you do have reactive hypoglycaemia, it is diet that is producing too much insulin.
And if you do have reactive hypoglycaemia, the anxiety, panic attacks and the shaking is typical symptoms of the condition.

Best wishes