"Hit job" published in JAMA on ketogenic diet - (read author's disclosed "conflicts of interest")

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A link to this JAMA Internal Medicine article showed up in my mailbox last night: "The Ketogenic Diet for Obesity and Diabetes—Enthusiasm Outpaces Evidence"... https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2737919

The lead author had no conflict of interest disclosures, but the other two authors had five, yes you read that correctly, five:

Better Theraputics - https://www.mobihealthnews.com/cont...ics-sees-08-percent-a1c-reduction-small-study

Pinnacle Foods - https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/13066-conagra-brands-cleaning-up-pinnacle-foods-mess

Purjes Foundation - https://purjesfoundation.org/

Nutrinic - https://nutrinic.com/

Sustainable Diet - https://sustainablediet.com/

With the exception of Pinnacle Foods, which is a processed food company that was just bought by Conagra, I have no problems with the other four conflict of interest disclosures: three WFPB diet businesses and one WFPB diet foundation, all of which appear to be doing good work. But, clearly those two authors are biased against the ketogenic diet.

If the link works, the article is highly biased which is frustrating and disappointing, but be sure to read the comment section, a total of 7 as of this writing, mostly doctors working in the trenches, an absolute pleasure to read. :)

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im off 40 mg lisinopril for hypertension to zero in 4 months LCHF.Been on med 20 years!!!! A1c from 89 to 36 in 4 months.
Im proof.Thanks Winnie53.
--------------------
Stephen Riggs, MD | MercyOne Waterloo, IA
I have been in the practice of internal medicine for over 30 years. In all that time I never took anyone off their insulin or rarely reduced their medications unless they had gastric bypass surgery or something as drastic. After implementing the ketogenic diet for the past year I daily am seeing patients come off insulin and reverse their diabetes, correct their hypertension, feel great, reduce inflammation and chronic pain, improve cognitive scores, correct their dyslipidemia, and improve athletic performance.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your success 1spuds! And thanks for posting an excerpt from Dr. Rigg's comment. It's so encouraging to see doctors around the world beginning to use the ketogenic diet with their diabetic patients. :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quote from the article

However, there is little if any evidence that ketogenic diets specifically improve carbohydrate intolerance independent of weight loss, unlike other dietary approaches in which glycemic control is improved despite the consumption of healthful carbohydrate-rich foods, such as legumes, whole grains, and fruits, even in the absence of weight loss.
What are these other approaches that will reduce my IR whilst eating carbs?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quote from the article

However, there is little if any evidence that ketogenic diets specifically improve carbohydrate intolerance independent of weight loss, unlike other dietary approaches in which glycemic control is improved despite the consumption of healthful carbohydrate-rich foods, such as legumes, whole grains, and fruits, even in the absence of weight loss.
What are these other approaches that will reduce my IR whilst eating carbs?

The whole food plant based diet (WFPD). There's testimonials on the internet that it works for some diabetics, also here on this forum. I thought it was strange that the authors left off vegetables from their list of "carbohydrate-rich foods".

There are also ketogenic WFPD diets.

I think the success of the diets that work for diabetes is that they consist of real, whole foods, not processed foods.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The comments under the article are a very good read. :)

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole food plant based diet (WFPD). There's testimonials on the internet that it works for some diabetics, also here on this forum. I thought it was strange that the authors left off vegetables from their list of "carbohydrate-rich foods".

There are also ketogenic WFPD diets.

I think the success of the diets that work for diabetes is that they consist of real, whole foods, not processed foods.
I think this is very key! I am prediabetic and learned a good lesson yesterday. I tried something called "keto bark" (I normally don't eat processed foods) and despite only having 2 net carbs, my blood sugar went up 30 points. I was not happy! I even left a polite 3 star review on Amazon - the food tasted good, but had more sugar than the label suggests.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is very key! I am prediabetic and learned a good lesson yesterday. I tried something called "keto bark" (I normally don't eat processed foods) and despite only having 2 net carbs, my blood sugar went up 30 points. I was not happy! I even left a polite 3 star review on Amazon - the food tasted good, but had more sugar than the label suggests.

30?, gosh, did it come down quickly do you know? I see you are pre diabetic which makes me think that is quite an extreme response after ANY type of food? I am no expert by anyone's standards but I wonder how usual that reading is for someone with pre diabetes? Maybe put your post under a new thread? x

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
30?, gosh, did it come down quickly do you know? I see you are pre diabetic which makes me think that is quite an extreme response after ANY type of food? I am no expert by anyone's standards but I wonder how usual that reading is for someone with pre diabetes? Maybe put your post under a new thread? x
I am assuming that is 30/18 = 1.6 mmol/L otherwise @Auto E is in serious trouble. By the way @Auto E what is keto bark?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im off 40 mg lisinopril for hypertension to zero in 4 months LCHF.Been on med 20 years!!!! A1c from 89 to 36 in 4 months.
Im proof.Thanks Winnie53.
--------------------
Stephen Riggs, MD | MercyOne Waterloo, IA
I have been in the practice of internal medicine for over 30 years. In all that time I never took anyone off their insulin or rarely reduced their medications unless they had gastric bypass surgery or something as drastic. After implementing the ketogenic diet for the past year I daily am seeing patients come off insulin and reverse their diabetes, correct their hypertension, feel great, reduce inflammation and chronic pain, improve cognitive scores, correct their dyslipidemia, and improve athletic performance.
I’m not keto or very low carb as I average between 100 - 130g carbs most days which is the higher ‘end’ of low carb however I managed to lose 2 stone in weight, maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels for 6 years and recently came off blood pressure meds which I have been on for approx 40 years. Obviously I will still have keep an eye on my blood pressure and diet but, for me, even reducing some carbs has worked. Looking at the success of many forum members for most T2, and even some T1, diabetics it works and it’s time the ‘experts’ acknowledged it.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not keto or very low carb as I average between 100 - 130g carbs most days which is the higher ‘end’ of low carb however I managed to lose 2 stone in weight, maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels for 6 years and recently came off blood pressure meds which I have been on for approx 40 years. Obviously I will still have keep an eye on my blood pressure and diet but, for me, even reducing some carbs has worked. Looking at the success of many forum members for most T2, and even some T1, diabetics it works and it’s time the ‘experts’ acknowledged it.

Your experience is so inspiring and encouraging. I often wonder how different my life would be today had I been told about the diet 17 years ago when I crossed over to pre-diabetes. Thanks to people like you it is changing and eventually will be included in the standard of care. There's no going back now!

Reactions: AloeSvea