Type 2 - New Start

sweetierufus

Diagnosed T2 diabetes end of June. I had visited doctor due to frequent Migraines and my bloods game back HbA1c 88. It came as a shock and felt very ashamed/guilt for not losing the weight before it got to this point. My weight is very high at 19st and BMI over 50! I’ve never been thin, but this is the heaviest I have ever been. However, this week had compliments from colleagues that I look like I’ve lost weight. Need to invest in a decent set of scales!

On 2 x 500mg Metformin. I initially checked my blood sugar regular and bloods coming down. Have seen my diabetic nurse and she said I did not need to check as often and should not have been given a blood monitoring machine as they usually don’t for diabetics on Metformin only. Keeping the strips on my prescription but thinks will be stopped if GP notices. My diabetic nurse was non-judgmental and didn’t give me a lecture. I’m looking to go on a diabetes course as well but await details. Its information overload at the minute!:wideyed:

I have my first eye screening end of the month, this is a concern as had eye surgery for retinal detachment two years ago.

The diabetic nurse said I should still eat whole-wheat carbs and initially did this. The Nurse also advised to have one weekly treat as deprivation can lead to binge eating. So, I think Saturdays will be good for those. However, warned me not to let that one treat become more, ha-ha!

After reading online that low carb could lead to diabetes remission or reduce medication. I think low carb is way forward. It’s a complete change of diet for me, I never know how much carbs I ate, breakfast, lunch, and tea. I’m only on day two and already feel more energy. I love been able to eat eggs and nuts again.

Here’s hoping for some good results on my weight loss! :nailbiting:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sweetie and welcome to the forum!
First let me post this link with useful newbies’ info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I was diagnosed in May ‘17 with type 2, I was morbidly obese at the time and felt ashamed too. I soon learnt that it wasn’t my fault, many people have the lazy, carb munching lifestyle that I had and don’t become type 2, it really is bad luck, so please don’t feel guilty.
Anyway you’ve come to the best little corner of the internet for help and support to get your blood sugars and weight under control. With in four months of my diagnosis I got my HbA1c down to non diabetic levels and had lost a shed load of weight. I did it by taking Metformin and by reducing my carb intake, initially 100g/day and I self tested before and after meals to see what foods suited me and what didn’t. I now maintain my levels by eating 30-50g carbs per day.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
felt very ashamed/guilt for not losing the weight before it got to this point
Hi Sweerierufus there are plenty of slim diabetics don't beat yourself up over this. :bookworm:

Your body dose not handle sugar well and almost all food has sugar in it. Your body does not process sugar properly and turns it into body fat this is not your fault. There are things you can do to help your body deal with this condition more effectively and you should see the weight just melt away.

You should find with low cab that it helps you deal with sugar much better and a nice side effect is you get to go clothes shopping. ;)
:bag:

sweetierufus

Well in three weeks (weighed in at first diabetic nurse appointment) I have lost a stone!:joyful: over the moon with this. I hope the rest of the weight comes off this quick! Although I expect it to slow down a bit.

It's giving me the boost I needed :)

Reemap

W
Well in three weeks (weighed in at first diabetic nurse appointment) I have lost a stone!:joyful: over the moon with this. I hope the rest of the weight comes off this quick! Although I expect it to slow down a bit.

Wow that’s a good news.. congratulations on that and keep going..

Reactions: sweetierufus

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed T2 diabetes end of June. I had visited doctor due to frequent Migraines and my bloods game back HbA1c 88. It came as a shock and felt very ashamed/guilt for not losing the weight

There is no need to feel guilty or ashamed. You have made a great start in dealing with this.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great start @sweetierufus and thanks for coming back with an update. Keep at it and hope you get the keep that meter and strips - it’s going to be your best friend!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sweetierufus Keep up the low carbing - you may find it also helps with your migraines - a number of forum low carbers have found this to be the case, and mine have stopped completely. after a lifetime of suffering.

Robbity

sweetierufus

Good news is I have lost another half a stone. Bad news is I have wavered a little bit over the weekend and Monday, carbs have crept up again. So fresh start today! I'm going on holiday in couple of weeks so need to keep at it.

I regret eating doughnuts over the weekend. the High sugar, High Fat combo floored me and struggled since. I haven't had chocolate for weeks as since Metformin is making it taste different. So there's a plus to that side effect.

Last edited: