Newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes

JellieBellie

Hi inhave recently been diogonased with diabetes and i am still working out my doses of insullin and snacks does anybody no any snacks with no carbs in. :?:

Margi

Carrots are good. There isn't much else that I can think of, but it really doesn't matter too much. As a type one you don't have to worry about low carb foods, only about balancing the carbs with the right amount of insulin.

How much education have you had from your Health care people? Are you working on a system of ratios of carbohydrates to insulin, or something different? I guess I'm trying to find a starting point from which to give advice without repeating stuff you've been taught already, or starting way too far in and baffling you with things you've never heard of.

And, if it's not a rude question (or even if it is) how old are you?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
low or no carb foods are great for snacks if you don't want that extra injection to cover a snack. My daughter often snacks on low or no carb foods. Here are some examples:

sugar free jelly
eggs
cold meats (chicken drumsticks, ham)
cheese
celery, cucumber, carrot sticks with a dip like gucamole
avocados
mushrooms
salads with meat (ham, chicken, bacon), eggs or fish (tuna)
tomatoes

These following snacks are low in carbs but not carb free. sometimes you can get away with a low carb snack without an injection but you'll need to test to find out:

berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
melon
popcorn
natural yoghurt

Debbiecakes

hi All, Jelliebellie is my daughter.
She was diagnosed on Tuesday, having been rushed to hospital
Discovered High bloods, DKA etc, so it's been a little scary
But she has been a star, injecting herself from day 1
4 days in hospital but back home now and learning the ropes.

so I am sure you will see a lot of us both on here

not carb counting yet of course, but she is ravenously hungry, which the DSN advised is normal at this stage and should get better in a few weeks. As well as allowing her larger meals for the time being, the DSN has advised she can have snacks without carbs without worrying about additional injections - whilst they sort out her levels and prior to counting

It would be especially useful if there any other children on here who might be able to offer her advice/support. She is Type 1 and on a 4 a day regime (novorapid And levemir)

many thanks

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Debbiecakes, welcome to the forum. As a parent you will find lots of support and advice here, this forum has been a godsend for me and all my questions in the early days following diagnosis. There are some children who post here with type 1, there are also many adults with type 1 who have either been diagnosed later in life or have grown up as children with type 1 so they know first hand what it's like being a child with t1. I know what you mean about being hungry in the early days, I thought my daughter would never stop eating! But the hunger gradually eased and things settled back to a new type of normal for us all as a family. The first few weeks are the hardest with so much to come to terms with and so many new things to know and have to do. But it does get easier and you will both soon settle into a new routine. Carb counting is something you want to learn as soon as possible, and I also recommend a book called "Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults: How to Become an Expert on Your Own Diabetes".

Spearmint

Hello, my daughter is also 11

She was diagnosed 2.5 years ago now but her insulin and routine was changed from twice daily injections of a premix to 5 times daily of bolus and basal injections at the start of June.
I have had loads of fantastic help, support and advice from other people on here with adjusting her doses to try and get her levels right.
So use the forum as much as you can.

My daughter does not post on here but she is on facebook and has email if your daughter would like to 'chat' to her in either of those ways let me know :)