UTI's

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am Type 2 Diabetic since April 2011 :( I am on 1500mg Metformin per day. Recently my fasting sugar has been 8.5 and as much as 10. I have now developed a UTI which won't go away. I haven't changed my diet or lifestyle in anyway and my last check in November everything was fine!! The only thing I can think of is I lost my mother suddenly in June and I wondered could stress and grief be the reason. I will see my GP in a couple of weeks but I am so frightened right now

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your BG levels after eating recently?
UTIs flourish in sweeter fluids, and it might be, for whatever reason, that is the case at the moment. A short time eating fewwer carbs might help the situation resolve itself.
I do hope that you soon feel better.
We never really lose our mothers - you'll find yourself saying things she would have said, recalling things she did, or objects she had and used - as I've got older I can see my hands resemble hers. Gone but not forgotten - as my Nana used to say.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Go see your GP NOW. Infections are known to increase your blood glucose. Stress and grief could cause higher blood glucose, but high blood glucose will certainly encourage an infection. If it's left to itself, i.e. no antibiotics, the infection can reach your kidneys and cause nephritis. You really don't want that, not only can it be agonisingly painful, it can kill off your kidneys.

A UTI might not travel further, but you don't want to chance it. My experience : three days on a maximum dose of morphine and kidney function reduced to 5%

This is one of those things that is easily treated when caught early. It will save time if you ask the receptionist for a urine sample pot, and take a sample into the doctors with you.

So sorry for your loss

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2 Diabetic since April 2011 :( I am on 1500mg Metformin per day. Recently my fasting sugar has been 8.5 and as much as 10. I have now developed a UTI which won't go away. I haven't changed my diet or lifestyle in anyway and my last check in November everything was fine!! The only thing I can think of is I lost my mother suddenly in June and I wondered could stress and grief be the reason. I will see my GP in a couple of weeks but I am so frightened right now
Grief will throw you for a loop... Both emotionally as physically. I'm so sorry for your loss, and yes, it can have caused a raise in bloodsugars. Bacteria adore sugar, and if your bloodglucose is higher than usual, there's loads of it in the bladder.... So do drink loads to flush out as much as you can, and get a (preferably morning) sample to your doctor. I've had 2 UTI's recently with bloodsugars solidly under control and they went away with just a lot of tea, apple cider vinegar and some D-mannose. When my bloodsugars resembled yours however, I could've stood on my head and it wouldn't've gone away without my doc's intervention. (Thankfully I can just drop off a sample with the assistant and get a result and perscription the same day, dunno how it works with yours.) Don't wait this out. UTI's can turn nasty.

In the meantime, make your bladder/UT as inhospitable for bacteria as possible. Drop the carbs, lowering your bloodsugar and thus the glucose in your urine (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is a bit of a quick-start guide), and up the acids: capsules of D-mannose and cranberry (capsules, not actual cranberries due to the fructose), apple cider vinegar in plenty of water. I know urinating probably hurts like heck, but you want to flush out as much as you can.

And get yourself to the doc. Please. Don't try to fix this on your own, and don't wait "a couple of weeks".
Jo

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you checked your BG levels after eating recently?
UTIs flourish in sweeter fluids, and it might be, for whatever reason, that is the case at the moment. A short time eating fewwer carbs might help the situation resolve itself.
I do hope that you soon feel better.
We never really lose our mothers - you'll find yourself saying things she would have said, recalling things she did, or objects she had and used - as I've got older I can see my hands resemble hers. Gone but not forgotten - as my Nana used to say.
Thank you for your kind words, I struggle with a low carb diet as I have IBS and a lactose intolerance but I will try..

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go see your GP NOW. Infections are known to increase your blood glucose. Stress and grief could cause higher blood glucose, but high blood glucose will certainly encourage an infection. If it's left to itself, i.e. no antibiotics, the infection can reach your kidneys and cause nephritis. You really don't want that, not only can it be agonisingly painful, it can kill off your kidneys.

A UTI might not travel further, but you don't want to chance it. My experience : three days on a maximum dose of morphine and kidney function reduced to 5%

This is one of those things that is easily treated when caught early. It will save time if you ask the receptionist for a urine sample pot, and take a sample into the doctors with you.

So sorry for your loss
It's ok I should have mentioned I have been on antibiotics for three days and it has helped but taking another sample to GP's in morning

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have both. On low carb my IBS has been much better, to non-existant, just stay away from hot spices, and seeds like chia and quinoa. As for lactose intolerance, while milk, cream and butter are basically out, hard cheeses should be okay. (Though I do better on goat cheese than cow for some reason). Ibs, lactose issues, rheumatism and migraine triggers limit my diet as well, but I still follow a ketogenic (very lchf) just fine. Just takes a bit of time to puzzle out what works for you. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
Thank you for your kind words, I struggle with a low carb diet as I have IBS and a lactose intolerance but I will try..

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks all for your help and understanding, I hate being diabetic so much

Being diagnosed T2 Diabetic is the best thing that has happened to me in quite a while.
I discovered these forums and educated myself not only about diabetes, but nutrition and Cholesterol. CVD and AS.

With the right information we ca take control of our bodies!

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have both. On low carb my IBS has been much better, to non-existant, just stay away from hot spices, and seeds like chia and quinoa. As for lactose intolerance, while milk, cream and butter are basically out, hard cheeses should be okay. (Though I do better on goat cheese than cow for some reason). Ibs, lactose issues, rheumatism and migraine triggers limit my diet as well, but I still follow a ketogenic (very lchf) just fine. Just takes a bit of time to puzzle out what works for you. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks, I will seriously have a go at this low carb diet and see what happens. I have also been prescribed another four days antibiotics ( I wish they would just give me a week's worth and be done ) So fingers crossed these will see off the infection :D

FIGARO5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being diagnosed T2 Diabetic is the best thing that has happened to me in quite a while.
I discovered these forums and educated myself not only about diabetes, but nutrition and Cholesterol. CVD and AS.

With the right information we ca take control of our bodies!
:)