Type 2 Is avocado beneficial to eat?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a silly comparison but I just got so confused from reading so many different opinions about their benefits
So don't read all the opinions - just check the nutritional information and make up your own mind whether it suits your dietary choices... Simples. :p

If you're eating a low carb high(er) fat diet, avocados are a great little package of nutriion for this way of eating. And I should probably be eating more of them than I currently do.

Robbity

Last edited:

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does size matter Is it better to eat a small avo than a large one I eat one usually at Supper time

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados are so low carb that unless you have over indulged during the day - eat two, large ones. :happy:
I just wish that I could justify buying them on my measly pension :rolleyes: but we get by.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does size matter Is it better to eat a small avo than a large one I eat one usually at Supper time

"Large" and "small" are a bit subjective. I tend to weigh most of my food so I can see how the nutrients break down but you should be fine with avocado unless you are trying to limit something specific...
They are roughly 2% carbohydrate.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wish that I could justify buying them on my measly pension :rolleyes: but we get by.
I used only to buy the little ones or sometimes special offers, which is all I chose to justify/afford o_O on mine - but I've discovered chopped frozen ones, so I can now keep a regular supply without worrying about them going off and wasting my hard earned cash.

Robbity

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm hoping to get an avocado tree in my new garden (we got hit by a forest fire 6 months ago and though our house survived most of our garden, outside electrics and not so minor things like our septic tank got burnt out). It remains to be seen whether it will thrive and give me any avocados, but I live in hope.

Shalialincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news! I adore avocados - type 2 started Jardiance 2 weeks ago feeling near Normal now

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good choice! Just bought some frozen chopped avocado for my salads again, they're great for diabetics... And they taste good. Have at it!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Following up a few things:

they have Aldi in Australia which is an alternative to Lidl.

In NZ the price of Avos got so high there were Avo rustling gangs stealing them from the fields.

I remember as a child suspending an Avocado pip over a jar of water using matchsticks.
We managed to get a couple to grow this way, but they didn't survive all that long.
Is this still a thing?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi sell packs of 4 for about £1.75
Carol

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I remember as a child suspending an Avocado pip over a jar of water using matchsticks.
We managed to get a couple to grow this way, but they didn't survive all that long.
Is this still a thing?

As an adult I've grown them just for fun (though I can't remember now how I started them off) but I agree they never lasted all that long. But this was well before I became a Serious Avocado Eater! o_O

Robbity