Type 2 Is avocado beneficial to eat?

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I love avocado. Many years ago I had a prawn cocktail with avocado that made me really ill so I didn't eat them until last year. Started eating them again for my low carb diet and it must have been the prawns that were off :hungover: because now I sometimes have 1/2 for lunch with a salad. The good fat content is a benefit but they are also higher carb than say lettuce and keep my bg higher, but not spiked, over a longer period. My 1/2 is about 5 gms of carbs. I'm still trying to figure out if a short spike is better or worse than a longer time at a higher bg reading.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Goes down great with bacon for me.. :)

SarahEN

Ďoes anyone have any good receipes that I can use with Avo? I legit hate the slimy texture but I know its good for me so really want to try to eat more!

Similarly - kale - if anyone has any good ways to make that taste less like unwashed cabbage that would be most appreciated!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ďoes anyone have any good receipes that I can use with Avo? I legit hate the slimy texture but I know its good for me so really want to try to eat more!

Similarly - kale - if anyone has any good ways to make that taste less like unwashed cabbage that would be most appreciated!
You don't have to eat either..both pale into insignificance when compared to a plate of bacon and eggs.. which will be even more filling and nutritious..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I have, in the past, made fish cakes with tuna and mashed up avocado and the avocado was fine in the fish cake, but, you don't need to add fish you could add, cheese and onion, or ham, with peppers etc, you just need to tweak it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Went to a cafe recently and had a stack of halloumi strips (fried) with the avocado which provided a good textural contrast at least.....

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I don’t like avocado either so don’t eat it - there’s plenty of other things that I do like to eat though.

Reactions: SarahEN

SarahEN

You don't have to eat either..both pale into insignificance when compared to a plate of bacon and eggs.. which will be even more filling and nutritious..
Yeah I am with you on that - unfortunately I chose now to cut down on processed meat! Though I am.glad to see others who don't eat avo on here.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I am with you on that - unfortunately I chose now to cut down on processed meat! Though I am.glad to see others who don't eat avo on here.
Ok pork belly slices and eggs? just doesn't sound quite so snappy.. equally tasty and nutritious though..
personally I don't have any problem with processed meat (and eat virtually zero veg).