What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CWC first thing
B: Smoked salmon (about 35g) and scrambled egg.
Lunch just a black coffee in a hellish place called Kidzworld
D: the beef brisket I’d cooked for Sunday lunch https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/keto-beef-brisket-instant-pot-low-carb/ (but which got vetoed in favour of a pub carvery lunch) with buttered cabbage and broccoli. Then raspberries and cream and some Montezuma’s 109% black chocolate. Then 2 chocolate almond squares because Id just read @Goonergal ‘s post and remembered I had some in the fridge.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over tuna melt and Mediterranean veggies followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at a garden centre coffee shop: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly with coconut and macadamia granola chia pudding.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew you’d pick up on that typo! I nearly went back and changed it.
How do you eat that stuff? Then you follow up with some almond butter abomination. Own up to pranking me that you eat that or believe it is acceptable for a human.:angelic:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast bacon and eggs
Lunch frittata, green salad and coleslaw followed by dgf lemon drizzle cake.
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and a few green beans with glass of dry white followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with spoon of cream. This evenings grey drizzle tempted me to a few squaresof 100% choc with my decaf coffee.
@SlimLizzy you asked about my cream to milk change - I decided to try to see if change in bg if moved to milk and there was little so thought I would try switching BUT planning on mainly reverting back to cream as finding milk is leaving me hungrier - cream definitely fills me up more. I’ve got one more bottle of organic full fat milk in fridge so will use this up - don’t like waste - but then will go back to my cream.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Cheese and onion toasted sandwiches.
Dinner: Another dam duck roasted, that learnt it not to swim in my water hole at the block, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, no spudlites leftover.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar, water.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Thanks for the help with getting the bounty bars right. This is really useful. Is late summer a good (or in your case a bad) time for spiders? They are definitely ugly little critters.

@Annb -- Yes, there's definitely much more to lecturing than what appears on the surface. Don't you love it when some people think that we only work 20 hours per week and have four months of vacation? I am lucky though that I really enjoy my job, it's great to work with young people. Still looking forward to retirement (another 10 years to go), definitely won't get bored.

@Goonergal -- Great idea to open a low-carb bakery -- someone ought to do it. There are a few online stores, but none offer such a range of really yummy sweets/cakes.

Today ...

Breakfast: One double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with butter and smoked salmon. Two homemade low-carb brownies.

Lunch: Steak strips with mushroom-onion-chive-cream sauce. A small bowl of gazpacho (about 100 ml).

Dinner: Half a DD keto roll with butter. A tub of chicken liver pate (about 120g). A glass of red wine.

Late night snack: One square of 95% chocolate.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - No, the Millionaire shortbread is a regular sized bar of Millionaire shortbread loveliness. The brownies/drizzle cake etc are more delicate sizes.
@DJC3 & @ziggy_w - I was disappointed the bake off didn't show more of the coating of the multi layer biscuit bars. I noticed some were using the wire rack and drizzle method, some had molds and then there was Jamie!
@Brunneria - the fibre syrup is ordered. How sweet is the fudge? Anytime I've made fudge in the past it's turned out like tablet.
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.1.
B. TAG with ADOC. Busy morning. Usual school run, home for a coffee, catch up on washing then off to M&S.
L. A few fresh anchovies and a bit of cornish cove with balsamic onions.
D. Meat'zza with lettuce, 1/2 avocado and 4 santini tomatoes. Warmed LC chocolate brownie with 6 raspberries and a dash of cream.

Car is ready - I'll reserve judgement until I've driven it a few weeks.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you eat that stuff? Then you follow up with some almond butter abomination. Own up to pranking me that you eat that or believe it is acceptable for a human.:angelic:

Massive cocoa hit without the sweetness. I’m addicted I think. No almond butter sadly as I like it too much so I’ve stopped buying it for the moment. I always would have liked the almond butter but the 100% chocolate has been a revelation. I wouldn’t go back to Cadbury’s now even if I could.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - No, the Millionaire shortbread is a regular sized bar of Millionaire shortbread loveliness. The brownies/drizzle cake etc are more delicate sizes.
@DJC3 & @ziggy_w - I was disappointed the bake off didn't show more of the coating of the multi layer biscuit bars. I noticed some were using the wire rack and drizzle method, some had molds and then there was Jamie!
@Brunneria - the fibre syrup is ordered. How sweet is the fudge? Anytime I've made fudge in the past it's turned out like tablet.
Bed 6.2 FBG 5.1.
B. TAG with ADOC. Busy morning. Usual school run, home for a coffee, catch up on washing then off to M&S.
L. A few fresh anchovies and a bit of cornish cove with balsamic onions.
D. Meat'zza with lettuce, 1/2 avocado and 4 santini tomatoes. Warmed LC chocolate brownie with 6 raspberries and a dash of cream.

I was thinking of you last night while watching the chocolate coating episode. A lot of them had the same silicone molds that I use and they seemed to have no problem coating the inside. I’ve found that it just slips off as the silicone is so non- stick. I wonder if I actually freeze the mould itself first it might help.
I think Jamie had to go bless him, surprised he lasted into week 2 but I’ll miss him.

Glad your car is finally ready

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs

Excellent news about the car. Hope you can learn to trust it again. Have they told you what was wrong with it and why it won't happen again? ;)

Re the sweetness, I don't know what tablet is...?

How do you rate sweetness? I would say that this LC choc fudge stuff is nowhere near as sweet as the commercial fudges you can get. I mean, basically those are just powdered sugar, stuck together with flavourings and a tiny bit of fat. This stuff is not so sweet that it drowns out the dark chocolateness. If I had to make a wild stab in the dark, I would say it is approx as sweet as a Lindt 70% choc bar. But that is a very vague guesstimate. Sweetness is just something to adjust to taste and for the texture of the recipe, I think.

Yesterday:
Puffed cheese, LC choc fudge, bone broth, pulled pork, salami crisps. Not in that order :D
Rather too processed, for my ideal, although the pulled pork and the bone broth were all my own work.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Massive cocoa hit without the sweetness. I’m addicted I think. No almond butter sadly as I like it too much so I’ve stopped buying it for the moment. I always would have liked the almond butter but the 100% chocolate has been a revelation. I wouldn’t go back to Cadbury’s now even if I could.
Really pleased for you enjoying the high % stuff. One man's meat being another man's poison really stands out on this thread. Whilst I have absolutely no desire to go back to high carb/sugary food the LC alternatives mostly taste horrendous to me - nightmare. Good job I may be becoming :angelic: a stubborn old goat. I still cling to the hope that there is a place in LCland for the likes of me but absolutely no good lying to myself about what I can and can't force/persuade myself to eat. Would be a bonus to include the word enjoy in my posts. @maglil55 placing a huge amount of pressure on that millionaires shortbread:arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb -- Yes, there's definitely much more to lecturing than what appears on the surface. Don't you love it when some people think that we only work 20 hours per week and have four months of vacation? I am lucky though that I really enjoy my job, it's great to work with young people. Still looking forward to retirement (another 10 years to go), definitely won't get bored.

Yes - overpaid and lazy - that's often the opinion about lecturers. The best bit, as you say, is working with students - I always relished that moment when a student who hasn't been able to understand something, after trying different ways of explaining, sees the light. You can almost see the light bulb flashing on in their head. That made it all worth it. I gather it has all changed, though, since I left and it's all about "clients" and the money they can bring in, as well as the money it costs for resources. And for the "clients" it's all not about getting an education but about getting (being given) the qualification they have paid for (or someone else has). So, I'm glad to be out of it. Enough of a rant.

Today - tea, tea, co-codamol and more tea. I'm finding it necessary to take a small dose of co-codamol more frequently these days - maybe 3 or 4 half doses a week and sometimes twice in one day, just to be able to move at all. Weather maybe? Old age, maybe? Diet, shouldn't be.

Brunch, in about an hour, will be chicken and veg from the freezer, and more tea, of course.

I might make some soup later with the left over roasted veg from yesterday.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much, is the short answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Spent much of last night rushing to and from the bathroom. Pre-diagnosis my go-to foods in those circumstances would have been ready salted crisps, TUC biscuits or bananas, or perhaps all 3! Obviously all off the menu these days.

Have risked, variously, 1 cup of tea with 15mls double cream. When that was tolerated, a 24g bag of Serious Pig snacking cheese and a 43g bag of salted almonds. Both also tolerated so dinner has just been another 43g bag of almonds.

Otherwise water, more water and electrolytes (have some which are just electrolytes, no sugar or sweetener) plus pink Himalayan salts/lime juice added to some drinks. Trying to summon up the energy to go to the interview that forms part of the Diabetes UK research.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much, is the short answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Spent much of last night rushing to and from the bathroom. Pre-diagnosis my go-to foods in those circumstances would have been ready salted crisps, TUC biscuits or bananas, or perhaps all 3! Obviously all off the menu these days.

Have risked, variously, 1 cup of tea with 15mls double cream. When that was tolerated, a 24g bag of Serious Pig snacking cheese and a 43g bag of salted almonds. Both also tolerated so dinner has just been another 43g bag of almonds.

Otherwise water, more water and electrolytes (have some which are just electrolytes, no sugar or sweetener) plus pink Himalayan salts/lime juice added to some drinks. Trying to summon up the energy to go to the interview that forms part of the Diabetes UK research.

Oh dear! You have my sympathy. :(
Any idea what caused it?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear! You have my sympathy. :(
Any idea what caused it?

Thanks. No idea. Didn’t eat anything unusual yesterday and nothing tasted off. Was blaming a Kind bar for making me feel bloated after lunch, but obviously it wasn’t just bloating :D

Think it’s more likely a virus as was also shivery before going to bed last night. Hopefully will be ok tomorrow.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. No idea. Didn’t eat anything unusual yesterday and nothing tasted off. Was blaming a Kind bar for making me feel bloated after lunch, but obviously it wasn’t just bloating :D

Think it’s more likely a virus as was also shivery before going to bed last night. Hopefully will be ok tomorrow.

Ah, When I have had the norovirus (twice) the first sign was that awful bloating, and my whole digestive system just went on strike, and then emptied violently. Most miserable! Fortunately, over in 3 days, though it left me wobbly for a while.

Hope you feel better soon, and that the worst is over!
I would recommend that you don't go anywhere - in case you are infectious. Not a good thing to spread around.
Could they reschedule a phone interview?