You can eat your normal diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Portion control means eating 120g carbs per day with your normal diet.
Goodness me, if I ate anywhere near 120g carbs a day my BS would be at crazy high levels........so I will pass on this advice and say that for me, 120g carbs a day is far too high and I will stick to my 20-30g a day.............diabetes is certainly NOT a "one size fits all", that is for sure! But well done on being happy, with your diabetes management and reaching advanced years despite diabetes - we all have individual needs in respect of our diabetes management though.

Reactions: HSSS and zand

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But you also said taking meds means complications. So why choose the method you advocate? (Even ignoring the fact that for many of us eating 120g carbs a day would mean much higher blood glucose levels than we currently have!).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Portion control means eating 120g carbs per day with your normal diet.
We normally speak to carbs not in portion size but in number of carbs per 100g. We count them as such. The portion sizes I can eat as a female of a certain age and disposition may be totally different to someone else's whereas we know that counting carbs can affect portion size of some foods but not others.

Reactions: Robbity

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I mean is you eat your normal diet not exceeding 120g carbs per day. You have to take insulin/medicines as required.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I mean is you eat your normal diet not exceeding 120g carbs per day. You have to take insulin/medicines as required.
What some of us are saying is that 120g is far too high for us - but we are glad it works for you. Some of us prefer not to have to use medication if we can treat the diabetes by controlling our diet alone instead of having to take tablets and/or insulin. I don't want tablets or insulin if I can avoid it, so am happy to eat far, far less than 120g carbs a day. so 120g a day is far too much for many - but you are happy with it, so good for you.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I personally do not want more bread, pasta, rice, floury products or starchy veg to reach 120g and then think well, that's ok I can cover it with insulin.

If I get to the stage when my options must include drugs or insulin, and I may in future, I will use the Law of small Numbers, thank you.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
120g carbs per day is required for me to lead my normal life, and have normal energy. I take insulin to control my diabetes. My HbA1c is 6.1%.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
120g carbs per day is required for me to lead my normal life, and have normal energy.
I was reminded today not to do any severe diets after bariatric operation. 120g carbs for insulin at the age of 80 is ok if you have no diabetic complications which are making life unbearable. As soon as any complications it's a fight to reverse them or suffer them. Are you prepared to have that unfair fight?
How much insulin do you take?
Never change your diet without medical guidance when you're on insulin. Ok?

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reminded today not to do any severe diets after bariatric operation. 120g carbs for insulin at the age of 80 is ok if you have no diabetic complications which are making life unbearable. As soon as any complications it's a fight to reverse them or suffer them. Are you prepared to have that unfair fight?
How much insulin do you take?
Never change your diet without medical guidance when you're on insulin. Ok?
I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. I do not have any diabetes complications till now.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. I do not have any diabetes complications till now.
If that suits you great I on the other hand am 69 years of age by not eating 120 grams of carbs a day I maintain my blood sugars at normal levels and do not need to take insulin that suits me.

Each to his or her own that's what I say.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
120g carbs per day is required for me to lead my normal life, and have normal energy. I take insulin to control my diabetes. My HbA1c is 6.1%.
Forgive me but you keep missing the point. You are happy with your carb number and your medications but we are all different and our choices reflect that fact.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - yes - my normal diet is under 40 gm of carbs a day and I seem to be able to eat it with no ill effects at all - but I do not need insulin - I probably have a perfectly adequate supply. I have more than enough energy and am gradually reducing in size, so no problems.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well - yes - my normal diet is under 40 gm of carbs a day and I seem to be able to eat it with no ill effects at all - but I do not need insulin - I probably have a perfectly adequate supply. I have more than enough energy and am gradually reducing in size, so no problems.
With 40g diet carbs per day for you, you are reducing your weight. That weight reduction is contributing to your daily carb requirement. So that is a gain. How long you are doing this. What is your total weight loss till now.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well:-
I'm 77 years old, and have had T2 for nearly six years and for most of that time have eaten a low carb higher (normal) diet of generally less than 50g carbs a day. I'm generally healthier and my brain certainly functions better now than six years ago. I don't take any medication for my diabetes, have no diabetic complications, my glucose levels are generally close to normal, I experience neither hypos or hypers, and after losing some necessary weight initially my weight has been stable for over five years.

What I now eat is very close to my original diet, with less carbs and slightly more fat, and as far as I'm concerned this IS my normal diet. While I accept some people may need to take medication/insulin, and others may choose to eat a higher carb diet and then use meds to control their diabetes, personally I've absolutely no desire at all to eat more carbs and have then to take medication or insulin to compensate. :banghead:

Robbity

Reactions: Tophat1900

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh well:-
I'm 77 years old, and have had T2 for nearly six years and for most of that time have eaten a low carb higher (normal) diet of generally less than 50g carbs a day. I'm generally healthier and my brain certainly functions better now than six years ago. I don't take any medication for my diabetes, have no diabetic complications, my glucose levels are generally close to normal, I experience neither hypos or hypers, and after losing some necessary weight initially my weight has been stable for over five years.

What I now eat is very close to my original diet, with less carbs and slightly more fat, and as far as I'm concerned this IS my normal diet. While I accept some people may need to take medication/insulin, and others may choose to eat a higher carb diet and then use meds to control their diabetes, personally I've absolutely no desire at all to eat more carbs and have then to take medication or insulin to compensate. :banghead:
Robbity
Good that you are taking LCHF diet without medicines/insulin, and it suits you. I do not like to take the LCHF diet. So I am taking my normal cooked rice-vegetable diet of 120g carbs per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin, 40 units before breakfast and 20 units before dinner. I do not have any diabetes complications. I however, get hypos, and hypers on some days. However, the hypers get reduced to near fbg levels in 12 hours.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Good that you are taking LCHF diet without medicines/insulin, and it suits you. I do not like to take the LCHF diet. So I am taking my normal cooked rice-vegetable diet of 120g carbs per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin, 40 units before breakfast and 20 units before dinner. I do not have any diabetes complications. I however, get hypos, and hypers on some days. However, the hypers get reduced to near fbg levels in 12 hours.

And I guess you consider that at well controlled diabetes...
If that keeps you happy, its fine.

Getting back to your original post, where you suggested you can eat your normal diet but keep carbs to 120g.
Well isn't LCHF is much more refined form of what you are suggesting in raw form.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Of course everyone has their own threshold of fat; and insulin needed per kg of body weight.
We all require different amounts of addition/less insulin to metabolise food/energy. Stress and other health problems are a differencial factor too.
Not everyone has only binary colours(factors) to take into consideration.
They clever ones of use see without ANY blinkers. Even I've be guilty of not seeing the WHOLE picture.
All posters ask is don't right off their intelligence in regarding their sometimes chosen method of treating their diabetes. We all hv to find what works best for their body.
Some put their toe in the water, some jump right in. Some are comfortable or only able to keep their management good the way they hv been trained too.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And I guess you consider that at well controlled diabetes...
If that keeps you happy, its fine.

Getting back to your original post, where you suggested whatyou can eat your normal diet but keep carbs to 120g.
Well isn't LCHF is much more refined form of what you are suggesting in raw form.
What am taking is not LCHF diet. It is 120g carbs per day diet consisting of cooked rice-vegitables.

Status
Not open for further replies.