Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pile of bricks has tumbled down on me again. The decisions that my university gave me doesn't look too good, either way I can't pay for neither of those decisions.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The extra salt added to my wounds is uni have decided to cap me at 40% if I decide to go back for a repeat or repeat at home. So I can do a good piece of coursework worth 60-70% and be capped at 40% pass mark.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know whether or not to challenge that decision, it's good up until "we need money and you are capped at 40%"

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Should I just accept it and say that's life because I can't have everything and I should be punished for my health difficulties.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it'd be hard to argue if my university breached anything, considering they've given me a lot of time to repeat without being capped. If I am capped this year, it'd make my 3rd year even more difficult to swing by for a decent overall grade.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I being incredibly dim? I don't understand how you can cap the standard of someone's qualification when you haven't seen their work. How does that work?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I being incredibly dim? I don't understand how you can cap the standard of someone's qualification when you haven't seen their work. How does that work?

Good question, I have no clue :(

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have resorted to selling my prized possessions and unused items to fund for my repeat year.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski do please think about @helensaramay's advice above. In my experience it's always worth exploring all the options. The worst you can end up with is knowing there's nothing you can do, but until you look into it you don't know that. Good luck!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, it’s tomorrow’s mission. But I feel like I am complaining, I’m not the sort of person to complain. I’m like my mum, I let people bully me, pick on me and walk all over me and I wouldn’t say anything. I don’t like to make a fuss about things, so this will be going out of my comfort zone.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, it’s tomorrow’s mission. But I feel like I am complaining, I’m not the sort of person to complain. I’m like my mum, I let people bully me, pick on me and walk all over me and I wouldn’t say anything. I don’t like to make a fuss about things, so this will be going out of my comfort zone.
Nothing to do with complaining if you call them to ask about the rules and what your position is in relation to the rules. Still not complaining if you then decide to ask for their help to tackle the problem because they have the expertise and you don't.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert - I'm currently not being at all discreet about my injections! New colleagues are all trying to learn all they can about insulin/blood sugars before next week, are busy re-enforcing the training they're recently had before they've got to put it into practise, so they're all keen to watch and learn all they can. In fact, there was a bit of a squabble about who was going to prepare my pen ready for today's lunchtime injection.

But, once students are back in, none of whom bother in the slightest what I'm up to once they know about it, I will revert to my more discreet under the table techniques.
Wow. What an amazing place.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you again, friends. I'll keep everyone posted :)
My bf was a bit sad when I said I'm selling my items because he said "but you love your things". I do indeed love my DMs and trunk load of make up and books but uni needs paying. I haven't told my mummy about this so I cannot bring myself to ask her for money.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, am I first on parade? Up, dressed as a teacher and waiting by the phone for some supply work - maximising income before uni starts proper on Monday. First day of school term, so it’s unlikely, but you never know...

Reactions: karen8967

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning chaps, am I first on parade? Up, dressed as a teacher and waiting by the phone for some supply work - maximising income before uni starts proper on Monday. First day of school term, so it’s unlikely, but you never know...

Indeed you don't - if someone has left unexpectedly, or shifted about over the summer, there could well be a need for supply. My situation of that kind was only resolved yesterday and only after a bit of marching down to Thems What Sort These Things to express my feelings about trying to get set up for the year with no tutor, in a new to me curriculum area, and no sense of if we were going to be expected to step up to that role or not. I could've done that with my previous team, but just don't have a clue where I am at the moment.

Hope income is maximised!

Fortunately, my own cohort don't come in until next week so we've now got time to sort ourselves properly, (and we were commended for what we had managed to do) but new ones are in today and the parallel group are all new so I've new ones to get to know!! Eek.