Advice needed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars, corrupt people in authority.
I'm using an Aga Matrix finger testing kit. Post evening meal at 7pm last night my blood sugar was 9.8.

I had nothing after that except my medication (Glicizide and Metformin, together with Statins), however at 7.15am this morning my blood sugar was 15.8. is this right should it go up 12 hours without food?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Could be what's called dawn phenomenon, where your liver dumps glucose to get you up and moving. How long have you been on statins? They also raise levels.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars, corrupt people in authority.
Could be what's called dawn phenomenon, where your liver dumps glucose to get you up and moving. How long have you been on statins? They also raise levels.
I've been on Statins for about 5 years. Been Type 2 for about 14 years, but only now taking it more seriously as 10 days ago ago blood sugar was 24 !!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on Statins for about 5 years. Been Type 2 for about 14 years, but only now taking it more seriously as 10 days ago ago blood sugar was 24 !!
Yeah... That might be the statins making things worse, so maybe reconsider those, discuss that with your doc... But ah... Looking at your avatar, you know beer is a T2 disaster, right? (You're better off with rum, martini's, wodka, sparkling wine, dry red or white etc. Less carbs, thus no spike in bloodsugars. Liquid carbs hit the system even harder. Just so you know.). You might want to have a read here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Dunno what you ate for your evening meal, or drank to go with it, but it could happen... Add dawn phenomenon and the statins, you could indeed go up.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, let us know your typical diet and BMI. If you are not overweight then be aware that late onset T1 is always possible rather than being T2 so discuss this with the GP if necessary. Being on Gliclazide is a hint of that.