Emotions and BSL

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone.. I came here for mostly a vent but I need to get things off my chest.
Today, my old neighbour was found dead in her apartment alone and it has been about 10 days before she was discovered. As tragic as it sounds, this just affected me so deeply and has created havoc on my BSL... I had been at 24.1 before taking my Lantus. I was not in the mood for managing my diabetes. I didn't bolus; now about 3 hours later I am down to 13.7. I just don't feel very well. I don't know what am I seeking here. What is going on...

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Vent more. See where it takes your bs. Sometimes it can help a great deal.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think you came here because we understand how many things can affect out BG's. "Normal" people just can't really understand and you know we will.

I'm sorry to hear that it has affected you so much. Do you have ketone strips to test since you were high and don't feel well??

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aw, that’s so sad, did you know her well? Stress can totally send BG sky high, adrenaline, cortisol and all will stimulate your liver to dump glucose into your body ready for the fight/flight/freeze thing. I’d suggest correcting conservatively, as adrenaline highs can be more sensitive than food highs - maybe try half your usual correction dose and see what happens? Please don’t omit your Lantus at the very least, it’s an important part of self care. If you can, check for ketones - high BG and feeling unwell raise a few red flags there. Please be kind to yourself and feel free to upload here, we’re listening ❤️

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thank everyone for their concerns. Perhaps this is why I turned to this community in my distress.
I did not correct after the 13.7 and woke up 12.0. I literally slept on the floor of the living room because my bedroom was simply uninhabitable due to the odors (her apartment is across the balcony). I barely slept, I was very distressed and I didn't feel "safe" to bolus for that high. Now that everything is better, I think it is another day to deal with diabetes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what am I seeking here.
Maybe just a big hug, so have one. I'd definitely need it in this situation.
images

Reactions: Marie 2

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @alphabeta I have to confess anytime I hear of someone with diabetes losing their life it seems to resonate with me and makes me feel sad, it doesn't matter if I know that person or not, so losing someone close to you will have an impact on you.

Please try and get outdoors today, go for a walk, take some time to take care of yourself, talk more to friends, family and us, and try to talk about your feelings, this will pass but go easy on yourself.

Reactions: Marie 2

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @alphabeta I have to confess anytime I hear of someone with diabetes losing their life it seems to resonate with me and makes me feel sad, it doesn't matter if I know that person or not, so losing someone close to you will have an impact on you.

Please try and get outdoors today, go for a walk, take some time to take care of yourself, talk more to friends, family and us, and try not to vent feelings, this will pass but go easy on yourself.
As soon as I woke up, I grabbed my insulin and ran away to meet some friends. I didn't want to stay at home and it did make a difference. I slept like a baby afterwards although my BGL misbehaved a bit but I had the highest at 10.9.. still better than the 24 I had yesterday!

Reactions: Antje77