What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like the man who swallowed the £20 note not much change really about here. B=tea and water by 10.00 had fage 5%, inulin, flaxsed and raspberries. Lunch= avocado and 2 poached eggs. Evening = tinned mackerel in EVO salad including another avocado and chia seeds. Hungry but pleased I didn't eat more. @Goonergal hope you are soon restored to full walking glory. @DJC3 enjoy the anniversary meal.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not much, is the short answer to the question posed in the thread title.

Spent much of last night rushing to and from the bathroom. Pre-diagnosis my go-to foods in those circumstances would have been ready salted crisps, TUC biscuits or bananas, or perhaps all 3! Obviously all off the menu these days.

Have risked, variously, 1 cup of tea with 15mls double cream. When that was tolerated, a 24g bag of Serious Pig snacking cheese and a 43g bag of salted almonds. Both also tolerated so dinner has just been another 43g bag of almonds.

Otherwise water, more water and electrolytes (have some which are just electrolytes, no sugar or sweetener) plus pink Himalayan salts/lime juice added to some drinks. Trying to summon up the energy to go to the interview that forms part of the Diabetes UK research.

Oh dear - that sounds very unpleasant. Hope you get over it soon. The same snacks were what used to keep me going when my stomach was having a strop - well, not the bananas. Salty ham was another. As a child I have been known to eat everyone's picnic before we got to our destination - my mother always used to make ham rolls - the very thing to cure travel sickness!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - overpaid and lazy - that's often the opinion about lecturers. The best bit, as you say, is working with students - I always relished that moment when a student who hasn't been able to understand something, after trying different ways of explaining, sees the light. You can almost see the light bulb flashing on in their head. That made it all worth it. I gather it has all changed, though, since I left and it's all about "clients" and the money they can bring in, as well as the money it costs for resources. And for the "clients" it's all not about getting an education but about getting (being given) the qualification they have paid for (or someone else has). So, I'm glad to be out of it. Enough of a rant.

Today - tea, tea, co-codamol and more tea. I'm finding it necessary to take a small dose of co-codamol more frequently these days - maybe 3 or 4 half doses a week and sometimes twice in one day, just to be able to move at all. Weather maybe? Old age, maybe? Diet, shouldn't be.

Brunch, in about an hour, will be chicken and veg from the freezer, and more tea, of course.

I might make some soup later with the left over roasted veg from yesterday.

I made the soup, but for some reason I'm feeling pretty nauseous and don't think it would be a good idea. I have visitors arriving in a short while and pulled a frozen chocolate cake out for them to serve with some raspberries. I might indulge in some of the berries if I feel sufficiently settled. Where are the crisps and the ham now? Still in the shop, nary a one in sight here. Maybe try some Rennies, if I can find them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK have just had a fab supper.

I cooked 2 kilos of belly pork in the cauldron, which produced nearly a litre of stock.
Popped a portion of the belly pork into the airfryer for Moo Grob.
While that was cooking, I rustled the stock up into a thin broth soup with an emphasis on garlic, lime and chilli

Feel stuffed now. Mouth on fire. Very happy.

And more soup and lots more pork for tomorrow, too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: gouda and chorizo rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mature cheddar and mushroom omelette wit leafy salad and two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent news about the car. Hope you can learn to trust it again. Have they told you what was wrong with it and why it won't happen again? ;)

Re the sweetness, I don't know what tablet is...?

How do you rate sweetness? I would say that this LC choc fudge stuff is nowhere near as sweet as the commercial fudges you can get. I mean, basically those are just powdered sugar, stuck together with flavourings and a tiny bit of fat. This stuff is not so sweet that it drowns out the dark chocolateness. If I had to make a wild stab in the dark, I would say it is approx as sweet as a Lindt 70% choc bar. But that is a very vague guesstimate. Sweetness is just something to adjust to taste and for the texture of the recipe, I think.

Yesterday:
Puffed cheese, LC choc fudge, bone broth, pulled pork, salami crisps. Not in that order :D
Rather too processed, for my ideal, although the pulled pork and the bone broth were all my own work.
Scottish Tablet

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1139650/scottish-tablet

Never liked the stuff. Ghastly amount of sugar plus sweetened condensed milk. The fudge and tablet ingredients are similar and that's the problem. Get the sugar mixing wrong and you end up with tablet which is a more grainy texture. Fortunately with these ingredients I won't need a sugar thermometer to keep me on the straight and narrow. I remember once for my son's school sports for the stall, I made about 6 different flavours of fudge. Unfortunately, every one of them turned out with a tablet texture. I thought it was a disaster until I heard some of the mother's saying "have you tried the flavoured tablet yet? It's delicious". Sometimes even disasters turn out OK.
Car? It's working but there again it worked for 3 weeks before I went on holiday then failed a week and a bit after I got back. They've given me contact details for Ford Customer Support and also the dealerships Customer Relations and they reckon I should write to them and explain what happened and how I feel even if it is just to get something on record. They've done what Ford advised them to do - a system and a full mechanical diagnostic and they were told to do a system update. Whether this solves the problem only a few weeks of driving will tell. At least I know the feeling when the fault is coming on. Last chance but my RAC patrolman did say he felt the onboard computer was doing things it shouldn't. I guess we are just driving computers nowadays.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch slice Hilo toast, bacon and egg
Dinner Cajun chicken with a few onions and tomatoes, cauliflower rice, coleslaw and green salad and glass dry white wine followed by lemon mousse and yoghurt this evening decaf coffee and a few squares of 100% chocolate.
@Goonergal hope you’re starting to feel better soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast a 2 egg mushroom and cheese omelette. CWC
Lunch- leftover couple of spoons of the fish dish from the other night and an Adonis bar
Dinner out at a lovely harbour restaurant for our anniversary ( hastily arranged as I’d forgotten it)
Local Mussels to start, then monkfish served with charred baby gem hearts, capers and anchovies. Shared a cheeseboard to finish and had a couple of glasses of wine with the meal. BG rise well within acceptable limits so far. All good.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch- leftover couple of spoons of the fish dish from the other night and an Adonis bar
Dinner out at a lovely harbour restaurant for our anniversary ( hastily arranged as I’d forgotten it)
Local Mussels to start, then monkfish served with charred baby gem hearts, capers and anchovies. Shared a cheeseboard to finish and had a couple of glasses of wine with the meal. BG rise well within acceptable limits so far. All good.
Happy Anniversary @DJC3 and your OH x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Happy Anniversary!

Reactions: DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch day at the club, chicken snitty and salad, several pots of Gold.
Dinner: Mutton chops and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar, beer, water.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.7 FBG 6.4. Happy anniversary @DJC3 & Mr DJC3. Hope you had a lovely time. I still wish they'd shown more of the "coating" on Bake Off. Poor Jamie was a bit of a disaster. Don't think there was any doubt last night who was star Baker and who was going. @Goonergal - hope you recover soon from the lurgy.
The DGF produce continues to lower my BGs. Following @Goonergal reminding me if the chocolate story back in 2017 I can get it with the double choc brownie and the Millionaire shortbread but what about the lemon drizzle? There's no chocolate in sight but it still lowers BGs.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. TAG with ADOC. No time really for anything else because I was cleaning cars, completing paperwork and generally making sure the dealership knew how I felt.
D. After getting the boys home - meat'zza with air fried halloumi chips, 1/2 avocado. Couldn't finish it. Later a bit warmed double chocolate brownie with raspberries and a dash of cream.

They say a week is a long time in politics. Going by the last two days it looks like a day is a long time. I reckon I'm going to have to stop watching otherwise we may be buying a few TVs as I continue to throw things at it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal and @Annb -- Hope both of you feel better soon. Sounds like a nasty stomach bug.
@DJC3 -- Happy anniversary. The restaurant food sounds very low carb and utterly delicious.
@DJC3 and @maglil55 -- I had similar problems with my silicon molds, chocolate doesn't seem to stick.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A three-egg-omelette with cheddar filled with spinach, onion, creme fraiche and feta cheese.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter, while preparing low-carb caramel fudge (inspired by @Brunneria 's chocolate fudge), turned out okay, but the erythritol made it a bit grainier than it should be (kind of reminiscent of @maglil55 's description of Scottish tablet).

Dinner: Chicken, eggplant, Thai basil with coconut milk. Lots of fudge and homemade bitter lemon, suffered some consequences of too much erythritol, but still beats a stomach flu.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea. May have to hurl abuse at the same time though. Emigrating has never seemed so attractive.

My son bought a polystyrene brick for my husband a few years ago. It worked - along with the verbal abuse! Not sure that it would in these times though. My best bet is the off button. I still join my brother in a telephone rant for an hour every Sunday though.

I ended up having the remaining raspberries with some yoghurt at about 11 pm and sent the chocolate cake home with one of my guests so that I wouldn't be tempted. BG this morning 4.6. I'm not sure now whether I should have some breakfast or wait until lunchtime. Tea fills a gap, so maybe I'll just have that and have bacon and eggs for Brunch.

I still have the left-over soup to have some time today - probably add some cream to it to improve it.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moo Grob. Thank you @DCUKMod

35 mins in IP, 15 mins in oven (but will use airfryer turned v low next time. You can have far too much watching up, you know). Then 15mins on 180 in airfryer.

@Brunneria @DCUKMod I have some pork belly with rind :D

Will need to do the boiling bit, and can finish in the air fryer, but how long and what temperature to dry the meat in either the oven or air fryer?

Thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria @DCUKMod I have some pork belly with rind :D

Will need to do the boiling bit, and can finish in the air fryer, but how long and what temperature to dry the meat in either the oven or air fryer?

Thanks.

I just dab it with some paper towel (or a clean teatowel, if you prefer). I then put it into the dehydrator at a very low temperature (c30-40c) for about an hour (which in dehydration sense, is pretty much lip service), then air fried it until it looked done, and theere was crackling.

Of course, the fact that my dehydrator and air fryer are differing functions of the same device, fed into the dehydrator step. Without the dehydrator in play, I'd just have dried the strips off "for a while".

The beauty is, oce the tiresome boiling part is done, you can freeze at any time and bring itout in whatever you deem to be portion sizes.

Sorry, I sometimes just make it up as I go.

Reactions: ziggy_w