Ascites and acute abdominal pain.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't read all the above so sorry if already suggested..... twisted bowel which can be difficult to see like in the Bee Gs Gibb twins. They suspected appendix but was intestines.
Have you had heavy weight loss?

Thanks lovely, that’s all been explored

Reactions: ickihun

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @wiflib , sorry to hear you are non the wiser about a diagnosis. Are they not even considering paracentesis (drainage of the fluid) to at least relieve the discomfort and maybe send of a sample of the fluid for analysis?

Reactions: Indy51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really sorry you are going through this @wiflib . I had something similar, caused by multiple cysts, surgery to remove them, and later adhesions. Slow gut motility, and hernia around surgery site. Damage to lymph nodes has resulted in lymphoedema.

Another consideration could be mast cell disorder, which is what caused my problem.
The good news for me is that I have the mast cell disorder controlled, and pain and abdominal swelling under control. Still dealing with lymphoedema, but it is manageable.

PM me if you want more info.
Hope you get sorted soon. Best wishes.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds awful! :-( Have they ruled Crohns disease out? My flare ups involve major inflammation in the ilieum and I can hardly stand because of the pain and my abdomen swells like a balloon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m attempting lots of humour because I’m concerned our WOE could possibly be the cause and I simply cannot ‘go back’, that frightens me more than the pain.

This is something that concerns me too - when I allow myself to dwell on it.

I mean, we make the best decisions we are able to - cutting carbs, researching, eliminating certain foods if we identify them as causing problems, and some of us need to go to pretty extreme levels to achieve feeling 'well' don't we? I ended up carnivore because the non-carnivore stuff is simply too problematic in terms of inflammation and gut issues. To be honest, my blood glucose was under control long before I went carni. Other factors were the decider.

So what happens if, for some reason (and it might be a different reason for any of us) the carni option is removed?

What is left?

I really feel for you @wiflib
Until you get a proper diagnosis, and some clear answers, you won't feel confident in your food choices - even if everything has pointed to carnivore being the best option til now.

Oh, and as for the omelette you had - a lot of commercial caterers are now using a powdered egg instead of real eggs. Just add water for the right consistency. They just mix it up and add whatever they like. Milk powder, etc is easier than real milk, and so on. Some places even buy in pre-made frozen omelettes, just defrost, reheat and serve. Less work for the kitchen staff that way...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are all wonderful. Thanks for the PM’s and thoughts, they really do help and I have plans in place for my care and treatment. I’m happy to be staying in for pain management, not changing my diet and doing the reading necessary to potentially learn about a new condition but I have a suspicion it was a one off reaction to something I ate that I won’t be eating again.

I’ll update you when I know anything.

(Edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are all wonderful. Thanks for the PM’s and thoughts, they really do help and I have plans in place for my care and treatment. I’m happy to be staying in for pain management, not changing my diet and doing the reading necessary to potentially learn about a new condition but I have a suspicion it was a one off reaction to something I ate that I won’t be eating again.

I’ll update you when I know anything.

If you need a steak parcel sending through let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This is something that concerns me too - when I allow myself to dwell on it.

I mean, we make the best decisions we are able to - cutting carbs, researching, eliminating certain foods if we identify them as causing problems, and some of us need to go to pretty extreme levels to achieve feeling 'well' don't we? I ended up carnivore because the non-carnivore stuff is simply too problematic in terms of inflammation and gut issues. To be honest, my blood glucose was under control long before I went carni. Other factors were the decider.

So what happens if, for some reason (and it might be a different reason for any of us) the carni option is removed?

What is left?

I really feel for you @wiflib
Until you get a proper diagnosis, and some clear answers, you won't feel confident in your food choices - even if everything has pointed to carnivore being the best option til now.

Oh, and as for the omelette you had - a lot of commercial caterers are now using a powdered egg instead of real eggs. Just add water for the right consistency. They just mix it up and add whatever they like. Milk powder, etc is easier than real milk, and so on. Some places even buy in pre-made frozen omelettes, just defrost, reheat and serve. Less work for the kitchen staff that way...
Definitely a consideration. I hv to keep up good protein based meals. Milkshakes made my bgs go sky high. Liver shrinking diet wasn't much better.
Protein from good sources are my priority. In fact my life depends on it too.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really hope they can sort it out for you, @wiflib and that you feel better soon.

Just a thought: have they tested you for oxaluria/hyperoxaluria? Been listening lately to quite a lot of stuff about excess oxalates and the dumping syndrome that can happen if you cut them out of your diet too drastically (e.g. adopting a carnivore diet). Saw these definitions in an online medical dictionary:

hyperoxaluria
[hi″per-ok″sah-lu´re-ah]
an excess of oxalates in the urine, which can lead to formation of kidney stones. Called also oxaluria.
enteric hyperoxaluria formation of calcium oxalate calculi in the urinary tract, occurring after extensive resection or disease of the ileum, due to excessive absorption of oxalate from the colon.
primary hyperoxaluria an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by urinary excretion of oxalate, with nephrolithiasis, nephrocalcinosis, early onset of renal failure, and often a generalized deposit of calcium oxalate.

There are a couple of great interviews with a guy called Elliot Overton on a podcast called adaptnation.io:
The second part is specifically about symptoms of dumping oxalates:
https://adapnation.io/92-oxalates-elliot2/
First part a lot of info on oxalates in general:
https://adapnation.io/91-oxalates-elliot1/

Feel better soon :)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s certainly no raw liver or juicy ribeye steak, that’s for sure! It’s a good reason to fast though.
I’m attempting lots of humour because I’m concerned our WOE could possibly be the cause and I simply cannot ‘go back’, that frightens me more than the pain.

Honestly, as a HCP, you probably know that’s just the regular fears that come with a health problem, not anything specific? I mean, looking back is human nature, as is “bargaining” - “I’ll change whatever I can, yada yada.”

Listen, you do the best you can; we all do.

Chronic pain blows, wishing you all the best on getting rid of it quickly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wiflib

How are you feeling now? Any news on a cause?
Hope the pain has improved.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiflib

How are you feeling now? Any news on a cause?
Hope the pain has improved.

Home. The physical is healing, the mental and emotional not so much but I’m working on it.

Gastro OPD appt and colonoscopy to be arranged and the definitive Crohn's or not diagnosis still pending.