Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support, folks. It really helps!

WhitbyJet

Patch, Ernie, Kenny,bowell, borofergie, all of you VLCDers, congratulations on your achievements so far.

I know I probably have frightened a few people when I reported the sudden death of my neighbour who was also following a VLCD, results of the post mortem are that she died of hypokalaemia. VLCDs can create a electrolyte imbalance, thats why ideally people should do these diets under medical supervision.
However, everyone is adult and capabe make their own decision on this issue, quite obviously many, many people follow a VLCD without medical supervision and never encounter any health problems at all.

Watching you guys, keeping fingers and toes crossed for you all :)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Hypokalemia
Perhaps the most obvious cause is insufficient consumption of potassium (that is, a low-potassium diet) or starvation. However, without excessive potassium loss from the body, this is a rare cause of hypokalemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalemia

Slimfast
Per 36.5g serving made with 250ml skimmed milk
Potassium (mg) 650.00
%RDA* per serving made with 250ml skimmed milk
Potassium (mg) 33
http://www.slimfast.co.uk/products/powder-shakes/w/wiki/Blissful-Banana-Powder.aspx?ProductID=9

I am lucky have GP help dist nurse just called taken arm full of blood
if all is OK i start Monday

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck, bowell - I can't recomend this enough.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 18 – Thursday 11th August

Fasting BG:
6.1mmol/L

Pre-bedtime BG last night was 6.4mmol/L. This was a bit of a surprise, as I was naughty last night. Went to the pub for a memorial (one of my mates died 1 year ago to the day) and had 4 bottles of lager. On the way home I ate a brown bread cheese n’ onion sandwich (bloody lovely, it was!) and a packet of pork scratchings (although (SHOCK!) I threw away half of the pork scratchings...). So, I’m VERY happy with my BG (approx. 1hr after eating) after that little slip up.

My +1hr reading this morning (after an Optislim Chocolate shake) was 9.4mmol/L. Strangely, my +1hr readings are usually around double my fasting readings – so an increase of 3.3mmol/L ain’t that bad.

I won’t let this info weaken my resolve! This is working, and aside from my upcoming weekend, I’ll maintain the strictness that I have thus far.

It’s working, and I love it!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese'll be fine - as long as it's not wrapped in bread! :wink:

humph

I am starting to see normal Bg levels, it has taken longer, but bearing in mind that I was diagnosed just over 10 years ago and my fasting Bg level was 17 at the start.

My fasting Bg level before dinner this evening was 7.9 and after 2 hours it had returned to 7.9.

After a week I seemed to level of around 10 and 11 for fasting Bg, but this week I have seen a drop into normal levels, lowest this week has been 5.9.

I have had a couple of slips, but these haven't led to a great change in Bg levels, if anything they have made no difference.

I am intending to add an extra week to the diet, due to my high stating point and time diabetic, also I have set a target for weight loss and the extra week should get me there.

pixor

Well done everyone!

I've just completed 7 weeks, and have gone from fasting levels of 12-14 mmol/l to regularly achieving less than 6 mmol/l. I've never managed this since I was diagnosed 4 years ago, so you can say I am well chuffed. I've also lost 5 kg, and have much better energy levels.

I'm not as hardcore as some of you guys, so I've been losing weight a little slower. I intend to carry on until my BMI is bang in the middle of "normal".

It's good to have others "in the club", so to speak, as hearing about your difficulties keeping to the diet makes me feel less guilty when I've fallen off the wagon. Tomorrow is always another day, and I feel increasingly positive about being in control again.

Thanks, all of you.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I was naught. Really naughty. For my tea I ate a packet and a half of Onion Rings (corn snack) and put mayo and bacon bits on 'em.

Bad goddamn times.

I was out like a light at about 9pm, and in bed at 9:30 sound asleep. Won't be doing that again.

The ONLY good thing to come from it, was the realisation that my sensitivity to carbs is back.

Leapoffaith

Dislikes
early mornings, baked beans, the rain, my fingers going all wrinkly when i have been in the bath to long, being ill, and people who smile all the time.
Hi Patch,

I am following your progress with interest, can i ask if you are still taking your medication, or have you stopped your meds while you are on the diet, i am asking because i am thinking of doing this diet, but when i lost a stone with slimming world recently, i had nightmares with hypo's.

Given that i was having hypo's when i was eating less, but still eating, it has occured to me that i would have to stop taking insulin and possibly metformin whilst on the diet. having said that, i would stop the diet if my BS did not even out inside a week. Its still just a thought, but i would like to know how you are dealing with your medication.

Michele.

Leapoffaith

Dislikes
early mornings, baked beans, the rain, my fingers going all wrinkly when i have been in the bath to long, being ill, and people who smile all the time.
You don't need to answer my last question, i must have missed the post where you said without meds, i have just got that one now, Good luck you are doing really well, it's a really harsh diet, but so worth all the effort if you achieve your goal.

keep striving.

Michele

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd strongly recommend it. If you're concerned, speak to a Dr. about it. I believe anyone that is currently taking metformin needs to stop met a couple of weeks before starting the diet.

Check with your Dr.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I am following your progress with interest, can i ask if you are still taking your medication, or have you stopped your meds

Download the Notes for GP
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/InformationfordoctorsRT.pdf

Talk to your GP
from gp notes above
Medication
a) Sulphonylureas. These agents can be withdrawn with benefit in order to ensure that hypoglycaemia
cannot occur.
b) Insulin. At the time of commencement of decreasing food intake, insulin dose in type 2 diabetes
may be substantially decreased, and advice to cut insulin dose by approximately 50% is
appropriate. Monitoring of blood glucose must be done daily with a plan to contact appropriate
healthcare professional if blood glucose levels become very high (fasting over 10mmol per litre) or
very low.
c) Other Medication. All other oral hypoglycaemic agents can be decreased or stopped in accordance
with degree of control achieved.

Bob