Type 2 My GP, blood testing & cholesterol

Roxyj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need some advice. I was originally diagnosed with T2 back in May and, at the time, was given my HbA1c and cholesterol levels. I had a 3-month blood check a few weeks ago and the GP receptionist told me the result was "Normal". I said I needed to know more than that and eventually they told me the HbA1c reading was 32, following a reading of 62 back in May. I was obviously delighted but then remembered my cjolesterol, which had been slightly too high back in May. The secretary said they hadn't tested my cholesterol, which I thought was standard in these circumstances.

I also expected them to notify me by letter or phone advising me frmally of my results and what the next steps were, which they said they don't do. So if I'd left it to them, they wouldn't have contacted me at all. I rang to speak to the practice nurse but was told "They don't take phone calls". I had a furious exchange with the receptionist as I feel they're letting me (and by implication all other diabetics on their books) down.

Therefore I'd like to know other peoples' experiences:
1) Is it normal to be tested for cholesterol alongside HbA1c?
2) Are other GP's as clueless & unhelpful as mine?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need some advice. I was originally diagnosed with T2 back in May and, at the time, was given my HbA1c and cholesterol levels. I had a 3-month blood check a few weeks ago and the GP receptionist told me the result was "Normal". I said I needed to know more than that and eventually they told me the HbA1c reading was 32, following a reading of 62 back in May. I was obviously delighted but then remembered my cjolesterol, which had been slightly too high back in May. The secretary said they hadn't tested my cholesterol, which I thought was standard in these circumstances.

I also expected them to notify me by letter or phone advising me frmally of my results and what the next steps were, which they said they don't do. So if I'd left it to them, they wouldn't have contacted me at all. I rang to speak to the practice nurse but was told "They don't take phone calls". I had a furious exchange with the receptionist as I feel they're letting me (and by implication all other diabetics on their books) down.

Therefore I'd like to know other peoples' experiences:
1) Congratulations on achieving a normal blood sugar results below 39!
2) Yes, in my experience a lipid panel is standard when they draw blood because diabetics are known to be at higher risk of heart disease and they believe having a high LDL cholesterol is an indicator of this risk.
3) I would take it up to the Practice Manager and ask for a print out of your results. Or book a GP appointment and ask to see and discuss them with the doctor.
But in my opinion your work in reversing your T2 is a major contributor to lowering your heart and other disease risk whereas ldl cholesterol is probably less important. If you do find your numbers out you can check them out on an online risk calculator to see what they mean.

Reactions: mojo37 and Roxyj

Roxyj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I will certainly be contacting the practice manager as I'm extremely unhappy about their whole approach to me asa diabetic.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I know I have HbA1cs twice a years but cholesterol is only done once a year (and its not a full lipid panel so never shows trigs), its down as a separate test on the form.

At my surgery I can't ring and expect to talk to my diabetic nurse right there and then, I have to book a telephone call where my DN will call me back (its a good couple of days wait if I'm lucky, normally about a week later - I think the two diabetic DN's at my practice have a lot of people to look after)

I see all of my results online so never have to ask them for the results :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is standard practice to do a cholesterol test with full lipid panel - especially on the first review. I have been diagnosed since January 2014 and have had a full liupid panel with cholesterol on each HbA1c (3 monthly then 6 monthly.)

As for the test results, if you are in England your surgery should be putting test results on-line as requested by the powers that bge back in 2016. You need to ask if your surgery does this, and if so, ask how to register for this service.
Meanwhile, you are entitled to a copy print out of your test results, so you need to ask for this as soon as possible, and be assertive if they refuse.

Well done on your fantastic HbA1c.

Reactions: Roxyj

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are no longer out of the normal range you will probably not get much interest from now on - I had NFA put on my notes a couple of years ago.
Personally, from what I can find out from 'real facts', cholesterol is not something to bother about - we are advised to lower LDL - actually - having higher LDL seems to be either not a problem or actually advantageous.
Someone (BMJ Open) decided to check up and compared age at death and final LDL levels. Assuming that both LDL level and age at death are pretty much set in stone, I wouldn't worry about cholesterol testing.