Diabetic symptoms

Sunflower1978

Hi everyone,
I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy & was prescribed Metformin & low dose insulin at night. After giving birth (4 months ago) my blood sugars returned to normal.
However over the past week I have had thrush, having a dry mouth at night , increased urination. I had a hba1c test at my gp yesterday so waiting for the results.
I have also been monitoring my blood sugars over the last few days. Fasting bloods are consistently 6.5, but all other results have been within normal ranges.
I'm pretty certain I have type 2 diabetes or pre diabetes.
My question to everyone is is it likely to be type 2 with just raised fasting bloods?
Thanks xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A diagnosis of diabetes is a fasting result of 7mmol or above

Prediabetes is a fasting reading of 5.5-6.9mmol

I highly doubt if you were a type 2 diabetic you would be experiencing normal levels the rest of the time

What is a day of food generally like for you?
xx

Reactions: Sunflower1978

Sunflower1978

Thank you for Ur feedback. I havent been good with food since having my baby as I was in party time mode after giving birth eating all the foods I couldn't eat whilst pregnant. I exercise a lot though , walking but my diet hasn't been great. I'll let you know the results.
A diagnosis of diabetes is a fasting result of 7mmol or above

Prediabetes is a fasting reading of 5.5-6.9mmol

I highly doubt if you were a type 2 diabetic you would be experiencing normal levels the rest of the time

What is a day of food generally like for you?
xx

Sunflower1978

Hi everyone, I just called my doctor. My results have come back as satisfactory. I'm confused as I do have symptoms & my fasting bloods are suggestive of pre diabetes. I am seeing my doctor next week so will have a chat about doing further tests.
Thank you for Ur feedback. I havent been good with food since having my baby as I was in party time mode after giving birth eating all the foods I couldn't eat whilst pregnant. I exercise a lot though , walking but my diet hasn't been great. I'll let you know the results.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I just called my doctor. My results have come back as satisfactory. I'm confused as I do have symptoms & my fasting bloods are suggestive of pre diabetes. I am seeing my doctor next week so will have a chat about doing further tests.

What does satisfactory mean? Did you ask for the actual numbers? It would be wise to ask for a print out of the test results. You are entitled to these, and they will tell all, including results of any other tests they did. Knowledge is power, and we have to take charege of our own health, so do ask for the print outs.

Sunflower1978

The hba1c was 40 apparently
What does satisfactory mean? Did you ask for the actual numbers? It would be wise to ask for a print out of the test results. You are entitled to these, and they will tell all, including results of any other tests they did. Knowledge is power, and we have to take charege of our own health, so do ask for the print outs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Well, that is only just in the non-diabetic range and needs watching that it doesn't trend upwards. Meanwhile, your GP will not diagnose you as diabetic, although it is standard practice to do a second HbA1c within 2 weeks to check the validity of the first test. This is something you could follow up.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the UK and A1c of 40 is normal, but in the US pre-diabetes starts at 38.8. From my own experience and looking at lots of research studies, some diabetic complications can arise at a "normal" A1c level of under 42. I have not found anyone in the NHS so far willing to acknowledge this.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my understanding that gestational diabetes can be a precursor of type 2 diabetes later and certainly I had it when I was pregnant. I suspect that it would be worth your while having your A1c checked very year to make sure it doesn't go any higher.

If you are having symptoms maybe reducing your carbs for a while and seeing if that effects your symptoms may be worth trying- if that makes your symptoms disappear that may be some type of answer?

Sunflower1978

Thank you. Yes, I'm reducing my carbs at the minute.
It's my understanding that gestational diabetes can be a precursor of type 2 diabetes later and certainly I had it when I was pregnant. I suspect that it would be worth your while having your A1c checked very year to make sure it doesn't go any higher.

If you are having symptoms maybe reducing your carbs for a while and seeing if that effects your symptoms may be worth trying- if that makes your symptoms disappear that may be some type of answer?

Sunflower1978

In the UK and A1c of 40 is normal, but in the US pre-diabetes starts at 38.8. From my own experience and looking at lots of research studies, some diabetic complications can arise at a "normal" A1c level of under 42. I have not found anyone in the NHS so far willing to acknowledge this.
Thank you.

Sunflower1978

Well, that is only just in the non-diabetic range and needs watching that it doesn't trend upwards. Meanwhile, your GP will not diagnose you as diabetic, although it is standard practice to do a second HbA1c within 2 weeks to check the validity of the first test. This is something you could follow up.
Yes I am seeing my doctor next week to discuss further.

Sunflower1978

Hi everyone,
I went to see my gp this morning. I told her that I had thrush & a very dry mouth & that my fasting blood sugars are ranging from 6.1-6.5.
My hba1c result was 40 & she said it was pointless doing another test in 2 weeks. She told me to book in for 3 months. She did a urine analysis which showed up signs of an infection. No glucose. She said she does not think I have diabetes, rather it is an infection. She did however advise me to book in with the diabetic nurse, which I have done. She also advised for me to stop monitoring my blood sugars.
Yes I am seeing my doctor next week to discuss further.

Sunflower1978

Hi everyone,
I went to see my gp this morning. I told her that I had thrush & a very dry mouth & that my fasting blood sugars are ranging from 6.1-6.5.
My hba1c result was 40 & she said it was pointless doing another test in 2 weeks. She told me to book in for 3 months. She did a urine analysis which showed up signs of an infection. No glucose. She said she does not think I have diabetes, rather it is an infection. She did however advise me to book in with the diabetic nurse, which I have done. She also advised for me to stop monitoring my blood sugars.

Sorry, meant to say she has preserved another treatment for the thrush.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Hi Sunflower,
I know you may not want to hear the comments about not doing your bgl readings, however I say this for the following reasons.
1. You have a new baby, your body is still adjusting from giving birth 4 months ago and your hormones are still out of whack.
2. Here in Australia a HbA1c is only done at a min 3 monthly interval. Reason being it gives a picture of your blood sugar levels over a 3 month period so repeating one in 2 weeks is not going to show any significant difference if any at all.
3. Try to relax re your bgl’s as being stressed will not help. Your readings are in the good zone so take a step back and enjoy your new baby.
4. See the Diabetes nurse and explain to her why you feel you are now a type2 or have pre diabetes and she/ he may be able to put your mind at ease for now. Definitely continue to ask for monitoring at least yearly to keep an eye on things. Many mums with gestational diabetes don’t go on to develop diabetes but take it as a warning to watch your diet etc.

I know it is frustrating as I was ? diabetic from the age of 17 yrs till age 35 yrs. My pathology results were always on the border line and as such they would not diagnose or treat me as diabetic. The doctors said I was hyperglycaemic prone to hypoglycaemic episodes. My hubby and I laugh about when they officially diagnosed me as we had just moved from one state to another and my blood results magically crossed the line as well. We feel this delay in officially diagnosing is the reason I have so many diabetes related complications.
Take care and congratulations, enjoy being a mum

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Hi Sunflower,
I know you may not want to hear the comments about not doing your bgl readings, however I say this for the following reasons.
1. You have a new baby, your body is still adjusting from giving birth 4 months ago and your hormones are still out of whack.
2. Here in Australia a HbA1c is only done at a min 3 monthly interval. Reason being it gives a picture of your blood sugar levels over a 3 month period so repeating one in 2 weeks is not going to show any significant difference if any at all.
3. Try to relax re your bgl’s as being stressed will not help. Your readings are in the good zone so take a step back and enjoy your new baby.
4. See the Diabetes nurse and explain to her why you feel you are now a type2 or have pre diabetes and she/ he may be able to put your mind at ease for now. Definitely continue to ask for monitoring at least yearly to keep an eye on things. Many mums with gestational diabetes don’t go on to develop diabetes but take it as a warning to watch your diet etc.

I know it is frustrating as I was ? diabetic from the age of 17 yrs till age 35 yrs. My pathology results were always on the border line and as such they would not diagnose or treat me as diabetic. The doctors said I was hyperglycaemic prone to hypoglycaemic episodes. My hubby and I laugh about when they officially diagnosed me as we had just moved from one state to another and my blood results magically crossed the line as well. We feel this delay in officially diagnosing is the reason I have so many diabetes related complications.

Sunflower1978

Hi there, thanks so much for your response. I think you are right. I just panicked a couple of weeks ago when I got thrush & noticed my mouth was dry which precipitated me to check my blood sugars & when the fasting bloods were raised I panicked & I was becoming quite anxious & obsessional about checking. The gp reassured me yesterday & her advice not to do them has relieved me & my husband is also in agreement with this. I will go & see the diabetic nurse & make some changes to my diet & get a test done again in 3 months. I have felt quite runned down recently so maybe I have an infection like the gp said. Thank you.
Hi Sunflower,

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Hi there, thanks so much for your response. I think you are right. I just panicked a couple of weeks ago when I got thrush & noticed my mouth was dry which precipitated me to check my blood sugars & when the fasting bloods were raised I panicked & I was becoming quite anxious & obsessional about checking. The gp reassured me yesterday & her advice not to do them has relieved me & my husband is also in agreement with this. I will go & see the diabetic nurse & make some changes to my diet & get a test done again in 3 months. I have felt quite runned down recently so maybe I have an infection like the gp said. Thank you.
My pleasure