New to mini med 640g

rachaelj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got my insulin pump for the first time yesterday but I am still waiting for the pack to arrive from Medtronic. I called them last night wondering what I need to do with the pump to be able to take a shower. They told me to take it off as I have not yet rec'd my pack which includes a cap for the pump whilst it is disconnected, otherwise I would get water in it, which isn't good. Is this correct?

Reactions: Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I always disconnect my 640g when in the shower. I don't understand what cap you are on about??

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Apparently you need to insert the disconnect cover into the cannula housing unit

Ah right got you. I used to put it on everytime I showered but do it occasionally now. I do use it when I go swimming....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @rachaelj Welcome to the world of pumping :) I use the 640g and have never used a cap for when I shower, quite simply the pump is waterproof, it's designed to be used whilst swimming, showering, you have a cannula set attached therefore and you can plug and unplug the system if you wish for when you shower, it's easier to do this, put in on the side and re-attach afterwards. I have never had an issue with doing this and water even if it got splashed, so it should be fine :)