Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Surely you don’t need to do an NVQ to enter hairdressing @MeiChanski? All the hairdressers I’ve visited say they like to train their own apprentices in preference to taking someone from College. That’s not to say College students don’t get jobs. A few hairdressing salons have teamed up with nail, skincare and makeup services. However, as the Mod says, you might miss the intellectual challenge.
But. In the longterm view of it all, might you end up vocationally training people who’re doing a stint in one of Her Maj’s overcrowded institutions? If there’s an improvement in the provision of preparation to re-enter life beyond the walls . . . The possibilities are always fluid.
Hope you sleep well tonight and things seem better when you wake up tomorrow.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I don't suppose I can fit in with 16 years old doing a level 1 NVQ?
At 38 I started a full time study to be a teacher in a class of 17 year olds and I must say I loved it. There was the option to do the part time adult study, but after doing the information daysthat seemed utterly boring to me. Turned out the teenagers fully accepted me as the old, fat and fun classmate, especially after throwing myself full speed in the introduction week camping trip including all the ridiculous games. When they found out I studied a bit more seriously than most of them they were eager to work with me too.
I quit the study pretty soon, due to depression (largely caused by my then undiagnosed diabetes I think) and a horrible training place as a teacher.
But I'd go back to a class of teenagers any day, if only I knew what I want to be when I grow up...

If you love hairstyle and beauty things, please find out what possibilities there are to learn!
And try not to worry too much about christmas presents and stuff. That part sounds like I sound to myself when my mind only wants to come up with more problems, even if they're not there. My mind is good at that.

Have you asked yourself why you want to finish your study? You've written quite a lot about it, and the hurdles you encounter, but I can't remember a post where you said why you love what you're studying. It's very hard to study without love.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother , I'd like to do something in hairdressing/styling, makeup artistry, digital art or skincare. But I don't suppose I can fit in with 16 years old doing a level 1 NVQ? I've been looking at apprenticeships and there is no choice but to start at level 1 and spend 3 years getting level 3 NVQ qualification to go into that industry.
[.

You certainly can do it. Before my current job, I worked in a mainstream FE college, and there were always older people doing those qualifications. I always really enjoyed supporting those who needed some support as they were (with one notable exception) far more motivated than the 16 year olds who had to be in education. work or training and weren't really that interested. You'll find the academic side of the work easy. Level 3 being A level equivalent.

Reactions: hh1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all...

I nearly worried we'd all vanished over-night as I had no alerts for new posts, but we're all just sleeping!

One of the minor pluses of my Main Workplace shift around this year. so far, is that I'm arriving at and leaving work on time. That, of course, may not last after we are up and running properly next week.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke on a 6, happy with that, not much else to report as a lot of my time is spent with Mattie; she's coming along well though with all the usual house training stuff - and I've found several new ways to say No which seems to be the most common word in my vocabulary at the moment. My bathroom's still not finished; I do have a working sink and loo upstairs but there's still stuff we're waiting on that means the tiling isn't finished blah blah blah - what's done is looking great but I'd like life on that front to get back to normal and to be able to take up dustsheets etc. Hopefully I'll have a working shower in the house today, and a platerer's coming on Monday. It's now feeling never-ending.....

Hope you all have a good Friday whatever you're doing

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I look like death warmed up and feel like I have been punched in the nose! But bloods are good at 5.8 so I can’t be ill.
@MeiChanski also keep in mind that the apprentice salary is roughly £3.50 an hour so it would not solve all the financial issues.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Fairygodmother I don't necessarily agree with him, my depressed self didn't like anything he said but I know he is right somewhere. I don't want to ditch university, but if university, my bf and my family don't believe in me that I can do it then I have to let go. I don't want to let go until I know there's something for me and I'm not going to be sitting here for another christmas where I can't buy anyone gifts or sucking my bf's bank account dry. But then again I can't afford another christmas because I'd be studying but I know there's something I can do in the mean time and not sitting here going full coach potato eating my weight in crisps. Before the storm of pushing students to do alevels and going to university, I'd like to do something in hairdressing/styling, makeup artistry, digital art or skincare. But I don't suppose I can fit in with 16 years old doing a level 1 NVQ? I've been looking at apprenticeships and there is no choice but to start at level 1 and spend 3 years getting level 3 NVQ qualification to go into that industry.
@helensaramay I cannot think of anything else to do for diabetes, as you and I know it is unpredictable and anything makes diabetes grumpy. I don't know what to say to my dsn on monday, "put me in a mental health ward because I think I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me?" Despite diabetes is being okay with a libre in place, my bf doesn't think thats enough to warrant another repeat year because hypos and hypers are going to happen either way. So nothing has changed. In an ideal world, I'd like to do something in the beauty industry, not fashion, possibly make up or skin care. Social media related? Youtube videos? I was thinking of doing something from home, but I'm camera shy. I did do the introvert and extrovert tests to see what careers are available to me, but I'm omnivert/ ambiverts and the jobs did seem appealing like psychologist or therapist or management/sales, I do like to work for a beauty brand. I also thoroughly enjoyed criminology, like classicism vs positivism, are we a born criminal or did society/environment influenced our behavioural choices? But I don't know if I can work with children with behavioural issues. I'm shy, a chicken and not very talkative until I feel comfortable.
@Jaylee Thank you, I know he can't help me and I have to help myself. But I was very upset and I understood everything he said. It wasn't nice but someone had to say it. I am hopeful to find something that I enjoy and possibly give a more positive outlook on life then I could possibly let go of university and forget about it.

Hi,I don't know if someone has mentioned this, The OU, it has some fantastic courses ro suit everyone, have you thought about The Open University, apologises if you already have, I must of missed it or forgot :oops:
Have you thought about photography as it has some fantastic openings with many paths.
I love forensics :) but happy in my two part-time jobs :)

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! Nearly the weekend again and I’m heading home to bed. Relatively peaceful night, only one person arrested and no drunk nutters for me to throw out....counts as a win for me!

Reactions: Antje77 and Diakat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning everyone,it's Friday again. I was going to venture out for the day, but the weather isn't looking great, so I will hopefully go another day, as back is not to bad.
Still having highs and correcting like mad, plus with no Libre sensor, I am missing it.

Reactions: hh1

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Day off here, I need to collect the child’s birthday cake ready for weekend party, get candles as I don’t have enough for her age and napkins to wrap cake in. Clean the house as Summer holidays have left it “lived in” and make it to the gym.

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awoke in range today. So that is a good start.
The weekend started yesterday for me, hence I’ve already got my weekend head on.
I had a little challenge last evening, but as with most diabetes related challenges, we overcome them.
It’s a good feeling to realise that your suspicions are actually correct.
To everyone on this great thread. Have a great day where possible.
Whatever challenges you face, in time you will overcome them to a certain degree.
Set achievable targets.:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Day off here, I need to collect the child’s birthday cake ready for weekend party, get candles as I don’t have enough for her age and napkins to wrap cake in. Clean the house as Summer holidays have left it “lived in” and make it to the gym.
You’re making your house into a gym???????:)
That’s what i call dedication.:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You’re making your house into a gym???????:)
That’s what i call dedication.:)
I wish I could! But husband and child seem to take up a lot of space....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, (and sleep well Dabootie), have a decent bloods day. A little disappointed with the sensor I activated yesterday but hoping it settles down. The last one was spot on, this one’s out by between 2 and 0.5 with a dramatic line in arrows. A call to Abbots later if it doesn’t stop making wild guesses.

Reactions: porl69 and Manfer87

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone,

I woke a little higher than I'd like today with a 9.6. But feeling positive I can get back in the lower figures soon enough :)

I am feeling nervous & excited & scared for my day ahead!!
I have an appointment with my GP to discuss fertility o_O

I have PCOS, so we're going to look at what I can have to help the process. So fingers crossed I get to feel like I'm making progress today :)

I hope you all have a great day

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke on a 6, happy with that, not much else to report as a lot of my time is spent with Mattie; she's coming along well though with all the usual house training stuff - and I've found several new ways to say No which seems to be the most common word in my vocabulary at the moment. My bathroom's still not finished; I do have a working sink and loo upstairs but there's still stuff we're waiting on that means the tiling isn't finished blah blah blah - what's done is looking great but I'd like life on that front to get back to normal and to be able to take up dustsheets etc. Hopefully I'll have a working shower in the house today, and a platerer's coming on Monday. It's now feeling never-ending.....

Hope you all have a good Friday whatever you're doing
mines still not finished hh1everything is plumbed in its just bits of tiling and coving to do but its taken ages but like what you say its looking good and the end is in sight ;)

Reactions: Antje77

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awoke in range today. So that is a good start.
The weekend started yesterday for me, hence I’ve already got my weekend head on.
I had a little challenge last evening, but as with most diabetes related challenges, we overcome them.
It’s a good feeling to realise that your suspicions are actually correct.
To everyone on this great thread. Have a great day where possible.
Whatever challenges you face, in time you will overcome them to a certain degree.
Set achievable targets.:)
FB_IMG_1567708839989.jpg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, Had a win last night - 5.5 before tea/dinner/supper which was a jacket potato, cheesy beans and pork streakys and 5.5 4hrs after must have timed the delayed bolus pretty well I guess. 7.6 this morning so happy with that.

Ohh - update on the cat, still a slight on going saga, although he is completely back to normal recent blood tests show his liver function is still not 100% and so he's still on tablets for it. Vet was most annoyed at the blood results as she said he seems to be doing so well (and he is).

I also managed to dodge the rain (mostly) this morning on the bike, and all the traffic lights were kind. :happy:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, thought I’d cracked the dosing for a piece of battered fish last night when I went to bed on a 5.4 but woke up on a 9.6, so obviously the fat and protein attacked me in my sleep. Down to 7.1 and dropping now.

Just off for a rheumatology appointment - a follow up that’s delayed/cancelled/postponed for over a year now, so I’m hoping to get discharged from their care. I’d originally been referred when I was at the height of feeling awful with high blood sugars and diabetes was literally disabling me. They’d tested for lupus, all sorts, and were talking about fibromyalgia, which appears to be a diagnosis of last resort. So I shall look forward to skipping in and telling them I’m sorted. I didn’t realise at the time (foggy brain) that high bg affected the way you feel and function to quite that effect. Although acquiring this morning’s slight hangover probably wasn’t a good idea in retrospect.

Picking up some medical textbooks on the way home, bezzie coming for vegan lunch and a play with the vinyl cutter, then visiting another friend’s new craft studio.

And Robert Mugabe is dead, which makes the world a slightly less unpleasant place today :)