Type 1 Help

Raf1209

Anyone else feel like their mates or friends don’t get what it’s like to have T1 or T2 so you cant really talk to them because they think its easy to manage?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Raf,

I'm a reasonably new type 2 so limited experience. I agree that friends don't really understand diabetes. They don't understand how every single thing you eat matters. I think it is frustrating when they think it is so easy. For type 2 not being able to go out for drinks- not a wine drinker and on 20 grams or less a day need not to waste carbs. Not being able to have 'normal' food. Not understanding that you can have cream but not fruit. They certainly have some thought that you should be eating better.

With type 1 I imagine it is even harder to explain to them the necessity of regular testing. The need to be really aware of what you eat- never having a day off when you don't care- the worry about hypos- you really are unsung heroes.

Anyway here there are lots of people who really get it. It's a useful place with awesome people.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is often noted here that people without diabetes just don’t get it.
And why would they? They aren’t juggling carb counts, insulin doses, food types, exercise etc

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to find 2-3 reactions: indifference, curiosity and pity! Curiosity is great so that we can educate people about type 1 and type 2.
I would never expect anyone to understand/empathise though which is why it is nice to come on to this forum or to my pub support group (it is good to be able to test your blood sugar or dial up a dose without anyone batting an eyelid.
Not sure what type you are but going to a Dafne/Desmond is a great way to meet up with other diabetics who 'get it'.
Just don't take the diabetes nurse advice too seriously!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I don't like it when your colleagues or people that you meet become experts in how I should be managing my diabetes because they know someone may have had diabetes.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone else feel like their mates or friends don’t get what it’s like to have T1 or T2 so you cant really talk to them because they think its easy to manage?

That’s one of the reasons I haven’t told anyone!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think everyone and their dogs know I am type 1. I get some very varied replies when I tell people! You don't look diabetic and I could never do injections are my favorites. @Raf1209 you need to be telling your friends as you never know when/if you will need them in an emergency....

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Raf1209 . Unless you have T1 diabetes you will never understand what it entails on a day to day basis.
Family, friends, HCP’s all will know and understand certain aspects of living with the condition but do not have the real time challenges and experiences. Don’t hold it against them, even those who try really hard and still fail.
T1 is unique to each individual.

Raf1209

I don't like it when your colleagues or people that you meet become experts in how I should be managing my diabetes because they know someone may have had diabetes.

How do you cope with that because i just tend to shut it all out and i know they are trying to help but i just get fustrated

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually find it difficult for someone to understand my condition because they have a functioning pancreas. With my dad, he tells me I can't have this so and so sweet food item but I take extra on my plate and eat it. Of course I inject for it. :) With other people, I tell them I have diabetes and if i'm hypo and can't assist myself, call for an ambulance. That's it.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my closest friend is type 2 and she doesn't even begin to understand! We go out for lunch and I'll eat to my means! Trying to not raise my BG (not always successful!) and she just carries on and basically says I wish I felt ill if I ate the wrong thing but I just don't!! I have tried to suggest but it does fall on deaf ears! My non diabetic friends are getting used to me having just a coffee and a square or two of plain chocolate whilst they eat their danish!

But back to the general subject I could write a book on the comments and advise I have had from the non medical public!
No, nobody else gets it! even those you live with! My own mother whom managed my diabetes as a child still brings in treats for lunch!?! I am lucky that I don't have a sweet tooth and I had a Birthday recently and had numerous box of chocolates!!! I said to my son 'I don't know why people bother I'd be equally happy with a Walkers multipack!!! Crisp are my downfall but I can live with that!:mad: