What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold sweet chilli chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: home made meatzza (100% beef burger topped with sour cream and mozzarella, cherry toms, mushrooms and mature cheddar) with leafy and yellow pepper salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Off to Belgium for a few days tomorrow, looking forward to the dark chocolate but not the frites with everything!

View attachment 35502

We have a new Lidl locally - about 250% in size of the old store, so they have a load of new (to us) products.

Yesterday. when searching for something else, I noticed they had a selection of "burger melts", with Jalapenos, Chorizo (I think) and Blue Cheese, which I actually though could be extremely versatile for the meatza/bunless burger sort of thing.

I must investigate further.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just need to say huge thank you to @maglil55 for putting me on to skinny bread and before that to Dr Almond whose Christmas cookies are still in date and tasted fantastic plus seemed to be fine for my bg. Fair to say my food likes are way off anyone else on this thread but those 2 work. Huge pressure to deliver on the millionaires shortbread now but quite optimistic atm. Just had cheese on toast with skinny bread - no egg or witchcraft involved just bread.:):)
Update: Postman just delivered the Millionaires shortbread. Just finishing the first and the second will probably soon follow - sadly I can immediately taste there is erythrytol involved. Do the brownies have the eryth tang? With 1 exception, Carolyn Ketchum's celebration chocolate cake, nothing baked LC works for me. These are about par for the course and reassure Julie it is not her cooking just LC ingredients that makes LC baking largely unpalatble. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
Breakfast. Usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Gorgonzola and 2 tomatoes.
Supper: Ribeye steak, flat mushroom, grilled tomato.
2 glasses Provence rose

Today:
Breakfast: same (if it aint broke don’t fix it)
Lunch: Cashel Blue, small apple (h/g) small spoon celeriac remoulade
Supper: pan fried monkfish and scallops, tenderstem brocolli
May be a G&ST or soda involved, well it is Friday!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast I made a 2 egg omelette with cooked mushrooms capsicum and ham on Wednesday and only ate half so I had the leftovers for brunch my dinner was salad and chicken crumbed with parmesan and almond with olive oil lemon juice and crushed garlic
20190904_181146.jpeg
IMG_20190907_001209_348.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Firstly welcome to the thread @annabell1 Glad you decided to join us. Your dinner sounds delicious.

@DCUKMod the airfryered (love that word) bacon lardons sound great.

Two meals today, plus a morning snack.

Took some unwanted Kind bars (a flavour that I found too sweet) to,work, but ended up eating one mid morning as ravenous. Confirmed the decision to donate the rest to colleagues.

Lunch was an impromptu office outing to Nando’s. My usual of 2 plain legs and a side of grilled halloumi. Followed up by 40g of Divine 85% chocolate with cocoa nibs. Delicious. Rest of bar given to various colleagues.

Dinner was therefore smaller than planned. 2 fried eggs and 4 rashers streaky bacon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea, tea with co-codamol and then some cottage cheese with cucumber "spoons" and more tea and other pills before I went to the supermarket with my son.

Out at 1100, back at 1145. We really whizzed around the shop, despite a few traffic jams. And that included time to go to a hardware shop for some screws. I did have my shopping list well organised, though and put into groups by aisles. Very efficient, if not much fun.

More tea when we got back and then 2 slices of black pudding, tomato and a hard boiled egg on top. Plus a small dollop of mayonnaise, which was a mistake. I've really gone of the mayonnaise recently - it's too strong. I'll have to start letting it down with yoghurt or something.

I bought some steak to stir fry, but found that I had GDaughter again after school which left no time for prep due to playing hide and seek until her Dad came to pick her up - just a few minutes ago. And now it's time to go out to help with the kids' class in Stornoway. I'll be tempted as I drive past the chip van which parks halfway to the town from here, but I shall resist!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb have you tried Heinz mayo. I started to dislike the texture of Hellmans and I find the Heinz one lighter. I used to love their salad cream with my fishfingers but thats a distant memory now!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast I made a 2 egg omelette with cooked mushrooms capsicum and ham on Wednesday and only ate half so I had the leftovers for brunch my dinner was salad and chicken crumbed with parmesan and almond with olive oil lemon juice and crushed garlic View attachment 35510View attachment 35511
Arent eggs wonderful! I have an omelette at least twice a week with different additions depending on whats lurking in the fridge. So many ways to serve eggs...I always think it must be difficult to LC without eggs..or at least it would for me!

Reactions: annabell1

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs my DGF millionaire shortbread arrived today too but I loved the sample I tried. more lemon drizzle also arrived as well to take up to mums in York’s when take her to hospital appt later this coming week. I’m sure she’ll enjoy them. We must have very different taste buds all of us.
Brunch half slice of hi lo toast, with bacon and egg
Mid afternoon DGF millionaire shortbread - half a piece to test, really nice thanks @maglil55 for recommending these, as you say they are also a good size - so a half is quite generous I found.
Dinner cauliflower cheese with two lamb chops and glass of dry red wine followed by a few home grown berries with sf lemon jelly and yoghurt later decaff coffee and two squares of 100% choc.
@Rachox hope you’re enjoying your break away and finding great Belgium chocolate!
@annabell1 welcometo this thread meals look lovely but not sure I could make a two egg omelette last over two meals! Maybe a lot of veggies? Look forward to seeing your food.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke @ 4.45 tested and did some reading plus tea and water drinking. Ne1 (around 10.00) 2 slices skinny bread cheese (red fox) on toast + low carb tommyK. 2 x DGF millionaires shortbread - review above but definite eryrh tang which is a - for me. Ne2 home (7.20) after CT scan ribs in h/m barbeque sauce (adapted keto recipe), mushrooms and cauliflower rice. Lots of water and most of a Starbucks decaf. All ok but cheese on toast and mushrooms best parts. @shelley262 glad you liked the shortbread - I just noticed eryth taste first bite so disappointed. Now undecided about tying anything else or visiting cafe. Maybe chocolate products will mask it but not optimistic.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
06-09-19
BG 6.3 on rising. Tea with semi skimmed milk
No further evidence of mouse intruders. :)
Before breakfast an hour later 6.5
Breakfast, nut granola with milk, 2 eggs scrambled in butter and some frozen spinach with Crême frâiche. So easy, cheap and delicious am going to rip out my perpetual spinach beet and grow something else in that space.
BG @ 2hours 5.6
Pre lunch BG 5.4
Lunch, 2 small slices of seeded bread about 40g, pâté, 4 olives, macedoine salad, avocado, tomato and goats cheese, salad, water and tea.
BG After two hours 6.5
Before dinner BG 5.4
Dinner, chicken casserole from the freezer, with green beans and courgettes from the garden. 20 pasta spirals.
Fed the remnants from dinner to Scaredy Cat. We don't know who she belongs to, if anyone. She skulks in the bushes and runs if you try to approach her, seems to be always hungry.
Thinking about cat, not food and had a chocolate cream pudding with cream as well. Oops.
BG After an hour 9.7
Two hours 6.7
Testing again in an hour.
Oh it's up again at 7.0. Not used to that happening re-test, few mins later 6.3 which is true reading?

Can anyone tell me if this is acceptable?

Been trying to upload pic from phone, but no joy.
So am short on calories (-250) and protein(-73g) over on fat and carbs. Feeling quite full. Don't think I can eat any more today. Although while on antibiotics was making sure I ate more than usual. Whether I wanted it or not. Seemed to work, none of the dreaded tummy trouble so common with antibiotics.
Hospital tests say all cleared up. Yippee. They will send bill in post, €? €€? €€€?

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb have you tried Heinz mayo. I started to dislike the texture of Hellmans and I find the Heinz one lighter. I used to love their salad cream with my fishfingers but thats a distant memory now!

I've never tried the Heinz mayo, but I will next time I go shopping. Thanks for that suggestion.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a little scrape in the car this evening and was quite upset over 1) my lack of judgement in trying to get into a space that was too small and 2) the aggression of the other driver. It was my fault - no question - he was parked and I was moving - slowly but still the one on the move. Didn't damage my (son's) car very much but made a long scrape and dent in the other car. Trouble was I was so shocked that, although I gave him my details, he didn't supply his and just walked away to show another man the damage. I couldn't follow because my walking is so bad.

My BG was OK - 6.3 when I tested it about an hour before (before leaving the house) but because I was so shaky, I tested again and it was 11.2. Can stress do that? Or did I make the mistake because my BG was higher than it ought to be? I don't know.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm feeling shaky still and not like eating, so the steak will stay in the fridge for another time. Some tea will do me for tonight.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
Breakfast. Usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Gorgonzola and 2 tomatoes.
Supper: Ribeye steak, flat mushroom, grilled tomato.
2 glasses Provence rose

Today:
Breakfast: same (if it aint broke don’t fix it)
Lunch: Cashel Blue, small apple (h/g) small spoon celeriac remoulade
Supper: pan fried monkfish and scallops, tenderstem brocolli
May be a G&ST or soda involved, well it is Friday!

Your supper is exactly the sort of meal I love. Enjoy your G&S

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy so glad to hear your good news from the hospital.
@Annb sorry to hear about your car prang. It does shake you up doesn’t it? Even if it’s not a serious accident. And yes! Most definitely stress will put your bg up.
Today I was supposed to be having lunch out at a garden centre so decided against breakfast. By 11:00 I was hungry though so had some garlic Yarg and a few pecans then a couple of HC 100% buttons.
Good job I did as there was nothing I could eat at the cafe - shame as they had a good selection of home made food. Had black coffee, companion had a doorstep cheese sandwich.
Dinner was IP beef stroganoff with cauliflower. 1 glass red. HC buttons with clotted cream afterwards.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just need to say huge thank you to @maglil55 for putting me on to skinny bread and before that to Dr Almond whose Christmas cookies are still in date and tasted fantastic plus seemed to be fine for my bg. Fair to say my food likes are way off anyone else on this thread but those 2 work. Huge pressure to deliver on the millionaires shortbread now but quite optimistic atm. Just had cheese on toast with skinny bread - no egg or witchcraft involved just bread.:):)
Update: Postman just delivered the Millionaires shortbread. Just finishing the first and the second will probably soon follow - sadly I can immediately taste there is erythrytol involved. Do the brownies have the eryth tang? With 1 exception, Carolyn Ketchum's celebration chocolate cake, nothing baked LC works for me. These are about par for the course and reassure Julie it is not her cooking just LC ingredients that makes LC baking largely unpalatble. You can't put lipstick on a pig.
You are very welcome. I really need to knead a skinny bread in the next few days as I really miss it. I can't say I notice the taste in the Millionaire shortbread. Friday seems to be delivery day as my second order arrived today. The lemon drizzle supply made it to the freezer - Millionaire shortbread didn't! I have the double choc brownie warmed in the microwave for 20 secs then have it with a few raspberries and cream. It just tastes like brownie to me. Maybe @shelley262 can say if she notices as she has the brownies too?
Did the DGF produce lower your BGs? Mine is still reducing after I eat something.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are very welcome. I really need to knead a skinny bread in the next few days as I really miss it. I can't say I notice the taste in the Millionaire shortbread. Friday seems to be delivery day as my second order arrived today. The lemon drizzle supply made it to the freezer - Millionaire shortbread didn't! I have the double choc brownie warmed in the microwave for 20 secs then have it with a few raspberries and cream. It just tastes like brownie to me. Maybe @shelley262 can say if she notices as she has the brownies too?
Did the DGF produce lower your BGs? Mine is still reducing after I eat something.
Hi I love all the products! Brownies especially good warmed up - the choc chips go gooey! They need to live in freezer though so can be rationed out!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Fried chillied haloumi chips.
Dinner: Steak and veggies.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sweeteners, water.

Gotta a nice big piece of corned silverside, and a couple of pieces of fresh brisket with our online order yesterday.

Its pretty smokey here this morning with the bushfires burning south of Bundaberg, there's also a total fire ban on as well.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/614432/riverina-haloumi-log-haloumi-log

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Caesar salad at St Pancras station and a small 85% Lindt chocolate bar.
Mid afternoon on Eurostar raspberry phd bar
Dinner at Hard Rock Cafe in the Grande Place Brussels: Double cheeseburger no bun no fries and a side of broccoli.

C13D7581-9DBE-4D90-A129-586A69476131.jpeg
80836496-DEEA-44F7-AD5D-FD5893CF8482.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah well yesterday & today to cover. @Annb - sorry about the prang and not only can it send your BGs up, it can also send the BP soaring. You should get his details if he gets in touch. I've had prangs with all the driving I did for work and was well versed in exchange details, photograph and never admit liability. Employer would have had our guts if we didn't follow procedure. One of the craziest I had was in rush hour in Edinburgh. First 2 lanes were not moving but the 3rd lane I was in was and we had a green light. To my horror a car crossed right in front of me (she'd exited the Stadium and was trying to turn right). It was a dangerous manoeuvre at the best of times but rush hour??? All I had time to do was swerve slightly so that I hit the wing of her car rather than her side on. Loads of witnesses so I got their details too. Couldn't believe it when it later emerged her insurers wanted 50/50. I refused and went on arguing until I got it to 75/25 but I wanted to get it to 100% in my favour. I was ordered by my work to accept the 75% because a judge had ruled in a case that it was unreasonable for someone to be expected to wait in rush hour for their path to be clear! Seriously??
Anyway, yesterday - Thursday
Bed 5.7 FBG 6.1. Very busy day. Started first thing dealing with two of No 2 grandson's bullies. It took my best Liam Neeson type (I have skills, I know what you are doing) very scary Nana voice. I saw what the brat did to grandson in the lines - he didn't see me but suffice to say his jaw dropped, his eyes almost popped and all he could do was nod his head up and down.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing - squeezed Aqua in then back to point out to Hubby great he'd moved the King sized mattress but' he'd put in in the room I was in, he'd blocked off the chest of drawers a lot of my clothes were in and a ladder would be useful to let me get to bed at night.
D. In between throwing things at the TV I airfried 4 thin lamb chops with butter and garlic and I tried out M&S red pepper and carrot mash which is OK. Certainly different. Later a warmed DGF brownie with raspberries and cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w