Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So I applied to college for a beauty therapy course, despite no money in my pocket and why not? because there was only one beauty therapy apprenticeship available to me which was 5.4 miles away. I've been offered an interview for college which I am excited but not 100% because of the whole money issue. But we'll see how it goes right?
Well done! Keeping everything crossed for you xxx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Why waste money on more candles.? Have a "retro" themed party & keep the candle count to a minimum.
Keep the mess down too, with just one candle, some bibs & high chairs..

Why waste time with a cake at all..!? Just mention "there will be cake later," giving the illusion of cake..

Hire a clown too.
He can hand the cake out at the end of the party meaning the guests will either be embarrassed to scared to take the treat bags, saving time cutting the "cake.." ;)
You’re planning our next party.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a look at grants available and they are difficult to apply for. If I can prove I need it, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm quite deep into my overdraft. :arghh::grumpy:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Why not? I’m studying with people of 18 and I’m 45...

might it be worth looking at the types of foods you’re eating? Many T1s can do the whole “eat what you want and bolus for it” very successfully, but some can’t make that work. I can’t.

And people who love you don’t care about expensive gifts.
I did my degree when I was 32 as a mature student after being made redundant

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I unfortunately cannot make “I eat what I like and inject for it” work. My libre would indeed look like a party crash. Thank you everyone for your support, I hope it goes well. Unfortunately I missed the deadline to apply at a college close to where I live. I’ve applied to a college who are still accepting about 1.5hours away by public transportation. I do wish I had a car, but I wouldn’t be able to keep it because of financial issues. I guess I’ll have to convince my bf to be my taxi man. I have a job interview on the 12th September as well as two medical appointments on the 9th and 20th, busy month. *group hug*
I feel a bit better, I hope one day I can give everyone beautiful pedicures and manicures. I jokingly said to my bf that “I’m going to sort your eyebrows out, because they need help.”

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’re planning our next party.
Well, I did used to be a kids entertainer in a holiday camp. Not by choice.. ;)

Oddly enough... I instigated the concept of my wife's 40th..
It was basicaly "little princess" style balloons.. Glittery sparkle decorations with these fabulous princess "girl power" paper plates, bowls & cups laced with as much alcohol as humanly possible.. Even the jelly! :) I guessed she wanted to forget the big four ooh & just get wasted..?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! I'm off out as soon as I've finished breakfast - today is one of those days of the years I'd rather not be in the vicinity. It's exam day for Year 7 entry for next year to the local grammar schools, and my normally quiet cul-de-sac, which is at the back of one of them, becomes more like Piccadilly Circus, awash with cars abandoned on pavements. Three cars abreast on the section outside my house is not uncommon on these days, those who have relied on sat-nav getting lost is normal for this time of year, and it all turns in to gridlock. The general atmosphere is one of panic because they're late, stressed, and the looks on some of the children's faces often makes me very sad....

There have been police call-outs to deal with road rage in the past.

In the meantime, I've just updated my blood sugars spreadsheet. Mornings, at long last, have started to look much better, a combination of getting basal right (for now) and adjusting a couple of things about evening meals seems to have paid off.

My unofficial trainees have got good at doing my bloods - next week, they can have a go at insulin once our nurses have passed them off as safe. I've never injected in my arms, but I'd quite like to know if it makes a difference. Here's hoping once they get to doing it all for real on our students, I've helped make it all less scary all round.

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, a 6.1 getting up, happy with that. Busy day today, running errands, some work that must be done in the garden before a mate comes to do some slab laying, food shopping so I can cater properly for my friend who's coming to stay and puppy-sit while I'm working a couple of long days next week. But - at 5 o'clock I'm off to a local friend's field with a summerhouse, small wood, treehouse, where lots of us are going for fizz and nibbles. What a great idea at the end of summer - and puppies are welcome :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning and working today promoting a crisp/biscuits today.
Still in double figures since Wednesday, but, I will try to get it down gradually.

Have a great Saturday :)

Reactions: karen8967

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morning all! I'm off out as soon as I've finished breakfast - today is on those days of the years I'd rather not be in the vicinity. It's exam day for Year 7 entry for next year to the local grammar schools, and my normally quiet cul-de-sac, which is at the back of one of them, becomes more like Piccadilly Circus, awash with cars abandoned on pavements. Three cars abreast on the section outside my house is not uncommon on these days, those who have relied on sat-nav getting lost is normal for this time of year, and it all turns in to gridlock. The general atmosphere is one of panic because they're late, stressed, and the looks on some of the children's faces often makes me very sad....
@Japes ....thanks for the reminder.....I too live just across the road from the local grammar school....have just checked and our 11+ exam day is the Saturday in two weeks time......they queue around the block to get in and I remember from past years being woken by the incessant chatter of parents and children....thankfully I have double yellow lines outside my house but the traffic can be a nightmare with parents from outside the area trying to find somewhere to park....perhaps I could rent out the spare spaces on my driveway for a suitable fee....;)
.....hope everyone has a good weekend whatever you are doing....

Reactions: Japes and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all. First test on waking 6.3 after a smooth night in the 5s, so very happy with that but wondering how long it’ll last.
The blighted birthday celebrations saga continues. The airport security letter I drafted for the doc’s been lost at the surgery - either a symptom of a practice struggling through current times or some ancient gods ‘avin’ a larf. I’m tempted to think it’s the latter.
As a cheer-me-up measure I popped into a hairdressers on the way back and there was a space. And I’m pleased with the offchance results - yippee. The lovely young woman who transformed me also takes part in local ploughing matches, using a Ferguson. Wow. @MeiChansi, hairdressers are really interesting people!
Back to the blighted birthday celebrations, I reckon the tail end of Dorian and Gabrielle will do it, we fly to Jersey on Tuesday. I’m packing stugeron just in case, and I’m determined to enjoy it.
I feel bad now, I really don’t want to compare what comes here with what’s happened in the Bahamas. Beyond appalling. Awful. Those poor poor people. How do you ever recover from something like that, if you’re still alive.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon friends, 4.7 on waking. My buyers have received their items and I hope they like them. :) I've finished my antibiotics two weeks ago and my skin has returned to being lumpy and painful. I've listed two items and both of them got removed for violating rules and I looked at the rules and I violated no rules. So I emailed them to ask :shifty:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon chaps, bit under the weather today with very broken sleep - probably anticipation and general wasps in my brain. Sugars been pretty high for me over the last week, even Elvis can’t keep up. Running along nicely at 4.9 just now, which is good.

Just completed my online safeguarding training for my supply teaching agency, so I can continue with that as and when - my uni holidays don’t coincide perfectly with school ones, so I might be able to score some days when there’s an overlap. Enjoying a very quiet day at home doing as little as possible, as I’ve got a CFR conference in Cardiff tomorrow all day. Might be useful for my training, it’s theme is the “chain of survival”, which is a key concept for emergency medicine. Might make some useful contacts too. Also freebies :D And I do like a lanyard.

After today, I’ll probably not have the time to be around the forum much, although I’ll try to participate in this (best) thread as much as I can - but if you want to connect on Facebook, pm me for a profile link ❤️

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a look into the free english classes that my council are offering and I don't know if I can fit that in with college - 2 hours lessons and 4 days a week. College would be full time as far as I'm aware, so I'm hoping they can offer GCSE english along with my course. If not, I would have to do GCSE english and defer myself for a year.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I've had a look into the free english classes that my council are offering and I don't know if I can fit that in with college - 2 hours lessons and 4 days a week. College would be full time as far as I'm aware, so I'm hoping they can offer GCSE english along with my course. If not, I would have to do GCSE english and defer myself for a year.

Have you looked at Adult Ed? They often have GCSE English evening classes.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how I'm going to fund for college because the financial situation is a bit of a pickle. My bf and I don't claim benefits despite he is unemployed, his parents have been able to help him and I'm unemployed but as a student that recently left university.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose I can take out a loan?
I had a look and that's out of luck too.