philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anybody has any tips or suggestions on how to reduce before breakfast BG.
I usually wake somewhere between 6mmol-9mmol but my consultant would like to see lower numbers with a target of 5mmol-6mmol. He has suggested increasing my basal slightly (Tresiba) but I have a strange relationship with my medication and lots of issues around this and an increase always feels like I'm failing somehow so I'd like to explore other options first.
Could I have a longer fasting period to do this where I eat earlier in the evening? Are there certain foods to avoid later in the day, would this help? What kind of levels do people aim to go to bed at?
Any advice welcomed :)
Hope you're all well!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @philly1991 i aim to go to bed between 6/8mmol and like to wake up round the sameim very sensitve to insulin so even an increaase of half a unit of tresiba would see me hypo my consultant said for me to aim between 6/8 for my levels .

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you’re aiming to get morning blood sugars of 5-6 mmol then you need to be going to bed between 5-6 mmol, presuming that your basal is set correctly to keep you stable. If you’re rising throughout the night and waking up higher than you wish then upping the tresiba is the answer. It depends what level you’re going to bed at really, as if you’re going to bed at a higher range then you don’t want to up the tresiba and use it to pull you down overnight, as that’s not it’s job. It should keep you stable.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And if you increase your basal you'll probably have to decrease your bolus at some point to compensate, so it's not necessarily an increase of insulin.

But I agree with the others, if the basal is right then your morning reading should be the same as your bedtime one....

For me, the only way to decrease basal is to either lose weight and/or take significantly more exercise.