Just for fun - are all T2s diabetics former sweet tooths?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Having just posted about my new weakness for the Limited Edition Cadbury's flake bar, I wondered at the irony of my life long love of chocolate and sweet things and being diagnosed diabetic. Now I know they say eating sweet things cannot actually cause diabetics - so I am wondering how many T2s on this forum never really had a sweet tooth - until they developed diabetes :?: - or is this just all a big coincidence :wink:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Re: Just for fun - are all diabetics former sweet tooths?

I defineately was a chocoholic and would say it was an addiction. I tried giving it up but if i didnt eat any i thought about it non stop until i went to the shop to get some. I would have at least 2 large bars a day. I would have lived off chocolate. After having dka last year i managed to cut it right down. Although sometimes i do buy a big bar and gorge on it!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Re: Just for fun - are all T2s diabetics former sweet tooths

Oh I know the feeling!

Grazer

Re: Just for fun - are all diabetics former sweet tooths?

I was a true chocaholic until I became diabetic! I still mourn my loss of all things filled with orange cream and stuff. I'm not so sure that sweet things don't cause diabetes by the way. If you eat loads of sweet things, you're consuming tons of carbs and calling for continually high insulin responses. This helps to increase insulin resistance. The chocolate, and arguably the excess insulin, make you put on weight which also increases insulin resistance.The resistance leads to higher blood sugars and yet more insulin in response until the Pancreas starts to think, "blow this for a game of conkers" and starts to pack up production of insulin. Type 2 diabetes. But maybe it's not really my fault .....
Malc

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

Never a sweet tooth but I was a salt junkie and addicted to Marmite.

I have always preferred savoury food and well made whole meal thin pastry pasty (and I do mean well made with best meat) is still a favourite of mine ... norty, but nice :lol:

Although I will add that since I have been injecting Victoza, a spike from a moderate amount of carbs is a rarity :D

Marzeater

The glorious beautifull mars bar and its role in my downfall :oops: :oops:
Remember the advert that said ' a Mars a day helps you work rest and play'?

I figured that if one was good then half a dozen was better. :)

HpprKM

Dislikes

Marmite is superb! Mars are a bit sweet even for me, but thanks for making me smile Marzeater that is really quite funny.

minitata

I was another chocaholic - and Danish pastries

Ate any chocolate bar Nestle - I'm a Nestle boycotter (Baby food action)

MTT

HpprKM

Dislikes

Ooh, Danish Patries (with custard on top) I remember them as yummy!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi all, if I am craving a bit of choccy, I have a mug of weightwatchers hot chocolate drink!
This cures my craves without doing too much damage.
Chocolate is my 'thing' not cakes, icecream, or pastry things.
Still miss a chewy topic or picnic bar! I wish!!!
Anna.x :D

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)

I was never sweet toothed but not it's "forbidden fruit" I often buy sugar free sweets when I see them!

WhitbyJet

I was totally hooked on Cabana bars - moist sweet coconut with cherry sauce in the middle, a layer of toffee on top, covered in milk chocolate.
Honeymoon in Switzerland introduced me to Swiss chocolate, yup, had class and style sitting there scoffing a whole box of Lindt or even worse Neuhaus (<Belgian) luxury chocolates. Then came the countless Ritter Chocolate bars, anything continental was for me.
Oh hang on, Cadburys brought out the Yowies, I ate myself through several complete collections of all the Yowies. Goodness, the very thought makes my bg spike.

I have tried the sugarfree chocolate bars, but they are nowhere near like the real thing, so weaned myself off chocolates, dont like dark chocolate. Only sweet things I have nowadays are berries with cream or occasionally a lemon possett, home made ice cream or cheesecake.

Wiflib posted a bounty balls recipe, its quite nice too. I have a Swedish recipe for iced confect, but not tried it yet, keep you posted.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC

Devon Cream Fudge Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm Good fix for a hypo as well :mrgreen:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

I hate chocolate. Savoury things are my downfall.

ClaireG 06

I've never really had that much of a sweet tooth and could/still can take or leave chocolate, cakes and biscuits. Marmite, yuk. Although i do like the marmite cashew nuts.

WhitbyJet

Can have Marmite, spread with butter on home baked low carb bread YUM

Toms Grandma

Anything sweet, chocolate, cakes, biscuits. For me now, the biggest treat is the tiniest piece of banana flavoured fudge.....not often and very tiny........

Wendy

Jenfy

I've always loved sweets and sweet foods but never liked sugar in coffee or tea and couldn't stand sweet soft drinks. I once worked part time in a chocolate factory where you could eat as much as you liked.....I didn't gorge on it but had a few bars a week. It was rather lovely!

HpprKM

Dislikes

Well, I guess that answers my question, not all diabetics are sweet toothed, quite a lot are though :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I never had a sweet tooth - hardly ever ate sweets or chocolate - if I did it would be a couple of squares - never ate a pudding even in a restaurant - in fact I think I eat more "sweet" things since diagnosis than I ever have - a couple of 90% choc squares a week - occasionally make the orange almond cake - but that isn't that sweet so I think it appeals to my taste.

BUT - my weak spot is crisps, crusty bread, pasta - apart from a table spoon of pasta now and then I have avoided these since diagnosis as I know I wouldn't be able to control my eating of them - haven't had a proper crisp for 2 years

oohhhh - for a bag of XL cheese crisps between two thick slices of heavliy buttered crusty white!