Diabetes recipe

Oana5

Hello, I need recipes ideas for diabetes. My mother in law has diabetes and is coming to live with us, and I have no idea what to prepare myself with. Thank you!

M

Member496333

Hi and welcome. You’d be better off speaking with her about this. It’s a very personal thing, and not every diabetic eats the same foods or has the same strategy. In my opinion your MIL will appreciate an open discussion about it, and will probably feel awkward if you’ve pre-bought “diabetic food” or pre-armed yourself with knowledge from elsewhere.

Have a chat with her about how best you can all get along under the same roof. That is most certainly what I would appreciate if I were her.

Reactions: Oana5

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. You’d be better off speaking with her about this. It’s a very personal thing, and not every diabetic eats the same foods or has the same strategy. In my opinion your MIL will appreciate an open discussion about it, and will probably feel awkward if you’ve pre-bought “diabetic food” or pre-armed yourself with knowledge from elsewhere.

Have a chat with her about how best you can all get along under the same roof. That is most certainly what I would appreciate if I were her.
Good advice.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I need recipes ideas for diabetes. My mother in law has diabetes and is coming to live with us, and I have no idea what to prepare myself with. Thank you!
I am a diabetic in a family that isn't. I have pretty much the same as everyone else, I just leave things out or substitute a few things. So for a roast dinner, I avoid potatoes, maybe have butternut squash instead or load up with more meat and veg. If we have a curry, I have cauliflower instead of rice. If we have lasagne, I have slices of aubergine in my portion instead of the pasta. I think you will get the general idea. Apart from the convenience of not having to prepare two completely different meals, it seems more sociable to be having basically the same thing.

Reactions: Robbity and Oana5

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what type she is, and what she normally eats. If she’s type 1 she may eat exactly the same as you, she just want to know carb content for calculating her medication needs from each meal. (Keeping packaging handy for her to look at may help with this)

If she’s type 2 it depends on what she normally eats. If you prepare carb free meals and tell her she can’t eat this and that when she normally eats everything she lays her eyes on. Your going to fall out with your mother in law very quickly. Ask her to give you some suggestions of what she has for breakfast, lunch and dinner, meals she likes and anything she avoids. Then you can think it over and maybe run a few of your regular meals past her see if it’s something she would try, or how she would adapt it.

Oana5

True. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated

Reactions: Antje77

Oana5

I am a diabetic in a family that isn't. I have pretty much the same as everyone else, I just leave things out or substitute a few things. So for a roast dinner, I avoid potatoes, maybe have butternut squash instead or load up with more meat and veg. If we have a curry, I have cauliflower instead of rice. If we have lasagne, I have slices of aubergine in my portion instead of the pasta. I think you will get the general idea. Apart from the convenience of not having to prepare two completely different meals, it seems more sociable to be having basically the same thing.
Interesting, I eat like this myself, no health related issues, I didn't knew that is good for diabetics too. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Oana5

It depends what type she is, and what she normally eats. If she’s type 1 she may eat exactly the same as you, she just want to know carb content for calculating her medication needs from each meal. (Keeping packaging handy for her to look at may help with this)

If she’s type 2 it depends on what she normally eats. If you prepare carb free meals and tell her she can’t eat this and that when she normally eats everything she lays her eyes on. Your going to fall out with your mother in law very quickly. Ask her to give you some suggestions of what she has for breakfast, lunch and dinner, meals she likes and anything she avoids. Then you can think it over and maybe run a few of your regular meals past her see if it’s something she would try, or how she would adapt it.
Interesting. Thank you for your advice. I will definitely ask for her advice too what she will like to eat. I don't know at the moment what type she have.