Problems obtaining BM test strips on prescription

Poppet3

Is anyone experiencing difficulties obtaining prescriptions for their preferred BM Meter's Test strips and instead being told that the ones they have been using for many years are not now on the CCG formulary and that they must therefore change to a different meter?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it may be because the strips are more expensive. My sutgery has changed the meters they give out, presumably because of cost, but I can still have my strips although I wouldn't be bothered about changing so long as it was dtill free.

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I had bought a meter from Amazon when my Type 2 was diagnosed with a BG of almost 30, but my surgery wouldn't prescribe the strips so I switched to the Nexus meter they gave me. I then got a Contour One in the post (freebie) and love it but I doubt if I can get the strips for it on prescription as they are much more expensive, so probably back to the Nexus again.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Nexus, not sure what the new ones at the surgery are as I only saw the box and it was different.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have had my strips and needles changed without being notified, until the DSN sent a letter to say this is what I wanted: 4mm needles instead of 8mm from whatever brand and freestyle libre test strips. Ever since then I haven't experienced any changes.

Reactions: TifferG

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Local CCG's send a list of preferred meters to the Practice Manager........your Gp is passing the buck he can continue giving you strips for your old meter, our Practice Manager tried it on with me but I printed out a copy of the local "Formulary", which you should be able to look at online, which says "those using insulin, glucose lowering drugs or are carb counting" are allowed to keep the meter of their choice........when I asked for an increase of strips and they refused I reminded them as a user of insulin I had by law to test before driving away from the house and again before I left the place I'd been and that their allowance of 4 strips a day was sorely short of what was required......I also pointed out to my GP that as I was injecting myself multiple times daily with what was for others a poison then having faith in my meter was paramount or I could end up killing myself.......and that would look bad for the practice

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have contour next and accuchek aviva strips on my prescription both issue 150 strips at a time and I can order as often as I like and it doesn't get declined

Blanchoid

I have contour next and accuchek aviva strips on my prescription both issue 150 strips at a time and I can order as often as I like and it doesn't get declined

Sounds like my GP, I just drop in what I want and collect it three days later from the pharmacy.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone experiencing difficulties obtaining prescriptions for their preferred BM Meter's Test strips and instead being told that the ones they have been using for many years are not now on the CCG formulary and that they must therefore change to a different meter?
My surgery does not give out prescriptions for strips etc have always had to buy my own .

D

Deleted member 308541

Hugging my NDSS subsidised strips at $1.20 for 100 card. :D

ndss-image.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

Out of interest what strips do you get for $1.20. I pay around $15.00 for
100 (Contour Next)Which I didn't think was that bad but 1.20 seems a good deal.
@ZedZeeZet I use and have used the following strips Abbott Freestyle Lite / Accu-Chek Performa / Contour Next One are all $1.20 with a NDSS and a PBS card, I only use the Freedom Lite strips now though.

They are around $6.50 approx without the PBS card if I remember rightly

Join the NDSS here https://www.ndss.com.au/about-the-ndss/registration/ download and read the instructions when filling it in. Your GP will have to sign off on it as well.

To get the subsidised strips you will need to get your GP to sign off on this one as well every six months:

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/14bee3f6-6933-45bc-8853-c7ef030586d2.pdf

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks, had a quick read. I have a NDSS card and the strips are subsidised at 15 dollars. Think I have to get a bit older to get a further rebate :) was just intrigued at $1.20 for a hundred.
Yes, the $1.20 is for us old pharts with a Centrelink pension card, I said PBS card by mistake.

I was wrong about the $6:50 price tag as well, I was sure it that price for 100 strips.

Here'ss the NDSSS price list: https://www.ndss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/order-forms/blood-glucose-testing-strips-order-form.pdf