Help please

Kirsty84.

Hello i am type 2 diabetic currently pregnant and i am having to prick my finger 8 times a day and on 2 lots of insulin is there anything you would recommend so i dont have to prick my finger that many times. Any help would be appreciated. Help please

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kirsty,

Welcome.

I know that constant testing is very annoying. I'm not on insulin so don't have any specific advice.

Given you are pregnant it may be that you just need to bite the bullet so to speak while you are pregnant as high blood sugar levels will potentially effect the baby.

Were you diagnosed before being pregnant? If so were you stable before? were you on insulin before? Giving some more information will help people give some advice.

I'm sure someone with way more knowledge and experience will come here soon.

In the meantime- congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with it.

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello i am type 2 diabetic currently pregnant and i am having to prick my finger 8 times a day and on 2 lots of insulin is there anything you would recommend so i dont have to prick my finger that many times. Any help would be appreciated. Help please

Hi Kirsty,

As you are pregnant, it is important for you and your future baby that you follow the advice of your GP or Healthcare Professional and test your BG as and when they say.

Use a different finger and a different spot each time. Over time your fingers will get more used to it.

It won't be forever.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsty,

Welcome.

I know that constant testing is very annoying. I'm not on insulin so don't have any specific advice.

Given you are pregnant it may be that you just need to bite the bullet so to speak while you are pregnant as high blood sugar levels will potentially effect the baby.

Were you diagnosed before being pregnant? If so were you stable before? were you on insulin before? Giving some more information will help people give some advice.

I'm sure someone with way more knowledge and experience will come here soon.

In the meantime- congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with it.

The only problem with hoping the same meal will give the same effect on a different day is that insulin resistance tends to increase as the pregnancy goes on because that's how nature designed it so the baby can fatten up towards the end. So assume that you might not get away with the same amount of carbs in a meal in a week's time and reassess regularly.
Do you qualify for a continuous blood glucose monitor?

(quoted post edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kirsty,

Well people much more knowledgeable than me strongly recommend regular testing. It isn't actually as bad as it sounds. You will get used to it and you have the best incentive of all healthy mum and baby.

As someone suggested you may want to look into a continuous blood glucose monitor.

Good luck! Lat us know how it goes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been there, twice.

Yes as the pregnancy develops more insulin is needed for you and baby. Higher bgs give fatter babies and a nightmare to deliver naturally. I had 2 natural births on insulin. The hospital just need those numbers in the good levels for baby health and yours for strength to push baby out. Without any strokes or internal damage. Baby scans are just a guide not 100% accurate. My babies were 6lb 4oz and 8lb ½oz. Smaller baby came 5wks early. I was relieved as he stopped moving at one stage but I got checked and my bgs were too tight but that improved. I was relieved last baby was out though as my confidence in one of the nurses had gone. She wasn't great at her job. So I did what I did for first pregnancy and it was a success. :) :) :)
We are looking to them for support but in the end I listen to consultants and baby and i were great.
So will you and bump will be too.
I filled in a diary and it got me through any odd readings and too tight readings too. I feel I ate less in 2nd pregnancy but finances where so different from 1st pregnancy to 2nd one.
I used my diary every few hours and filled it in but the difference I made to what I do now is I don't look too far on past bgs. I only concerned myself with todays and some of yesterday's results on my meter. Also tried to envisage what I'd need at my next insulin jab. Hospital concerned themselves on basal more and I took their advice but individual insulin jabs were my main concentration.
Are you using a paper diary????
Keep it close and use it all the time. Just til baby shows an appearance. Then maybe no more strict monitoring. Some no longer hv to but myself I always test. It tells me how my diabetes is coping with my busy life.
Its not a bad practice as in the future you may need to monitor heavily again.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I would not recommend to avoid or going down on finger prick tests if you’re on insulin. Unfortunally checking blood sugar IS a major part for keeping good blood sugar values.

You don’t say what kind of insulin you use, Do you have rapid-acting, long-acting or both? If you use rapid-acting to every meal it is really important to check your blood sugar frequently.

If you do not like needles, afraid, or do not want sore fingers, the best advice would be to change needle for every prick. Using a needle mutiple time may cause bruises or discomfort.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kirsty84. , congratulations with your pregnancy!
I agree with the above posters, testing a lot is the only way to go, I'm sorry.
But I would definitely look into a Freestyle Libre or CGM. It would not only save you some finger pricks but they give you a lot more information as well, making it possible to adjust insulin, food, or both in a much more sensible way than on finger pricks alone.

I hope you can get one where you live. Where I live all pregnant diabetics on insulin can get one through their insurance.
Good luck!