Joined the Type 2 club

Roxyj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nelly122 ,
I would just like to say that I agree with all the advice. This is a great supportive, informative place.

1. A Blood Glucose meter is essential - don't let your GP put you off them! I too use a Tee2+ , but some others use the SD CodeFree (from Amazon) which also has cheap test strips. You will get through more test strips than you could ever imagine because at first you need to check before , then 2hrs after every meal until you know what you can eat and what you can't.

2. Diet ,most of us call it lifestyle since you need to plan to be on it for the rest of your long and healthy life, gives much quicker results than exercise. You can't outrun a bad diet!

3. Some people go for a crash diet, or just try to reduce Carbs.It is important to reduce all carbs - even those that your Doctor says are 'healthy' - they all turn into sugar (glucose) after digestion. I feel that is often too difficult to maintain. I went for Low Carb High Fat (even though I have/had Coronary Artery Disease- a 3x Bypass). The High Fat part of it enables you not to feel hungry. I have only felt hungry once since I started LCHF back in May 2019 - and that was after a 23hr fast as part of an experiment. Almost everything that conventional mainstream medicine has told you about Carbs and Fats is completely wrong, as you will discover for yourself.
You're on the right track but I'd also suggest you log everything you eat in an app. I use Virtuagym's Food app but there are others. A good one should have a database of foods together with their nutritional values plus a barcode scanner for entering stuff you eat that has a barcode easily. That enables you to keep track of your intake and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Nelly122

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi Norfolkmell

5 stone is absolutely amazing. Well done.

It’s always tough to target fat in areas however certain exercises to target your midriff are tried and tested.

Have you tried the plank? Leg raises etc? All can be done in the comfort of your own home.

Hotel food I opted for was a creamy vegetable soup and Ribs with vegetables. I didn’t have any sauce on the ribs as there’s not much guarantee what’s in it.

Breakfast I opted for scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms with a green tea.

Not bad this LCHF diet.
The hotel food sounds good! We are going away in a week or so and I'm mindful that I'm going to have to think hard before I choose what to have.
Unfortunately I can only get on the floor when I fall over, then I can't get up. I have some other conditions that make me mostly wheelchair dependent, on a very good day I can manage about five steps on my crutches. However I have started some arm exercises and signed up for some seated exercises classes. I have a wristband step counter and recently with some determination raised my average daily normal count to 1300, today I've managed 2009 somehow so I'm well pleased with myself.