Diabetic eye screening

MVSmith

Hello everyone,

I have been type1 diabetic since I was 18, I'm now 35 and have always attended my diabetic eye screenings. They have always come back as 'satisfactory', apart from my recent screening which came back indicating diabetic retinopathy. I didn't sleep well at all that evening because I was worrying and making up all sorts of scenarios in my head (I do worry a bit and I know this doesn't help ‍♀️). I was just wondering what anyone else's experience with eyes and diabetes has been like? I understand that better control of my diabetes is paramount, and we all know how hard it can be right? I guess I'm looking for comfort and guidance because I'm worrying (I can't help it!)

Thank you in advance and sorry for waffling xx

Reactions: Bill166

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi MV, I'm type 1 as well, 38 years so far. I get these scans every year, and from a few years back they said they could see signs of changes due to my diabetes, but nothing significant yet, nothing to worry about.

That's the message I want to give you - ask the clinicians if there's anything to worry about. We're all doing our best and it's ****** hard work. There will be changes to your eyes, but that might be ok.

P. S. My wife's an ophthalmologist. 3 years ago after I was screened they sent her an email "no need to buy a guide dog yet". Made my day.

Edited by moderator to remove expletive

Last edited by a moderator:

MVSmith

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for responding, I'm new here and literally have no idea what I'm doing haha! You've put my mind at ease (like you have no idea). This sure was a wake up call for me to gain better control of my diabetes again, I guess I got complacent and youth helps you out a bit right? I really appreciate your input, thank you so much

Reactions: Bill166

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @MVSmith , I agree with @Bill166 . Because T1s can be more prone to eye problems, the regular eye screening is aimed at catching any developing problems at a very early stage so they can sort them long before it becomes a real issue.

There's a fairly standard letter which mentions mild background retinopathy not requiring treatment. All it means is that they have noticed a couple of blood vessels which are bulging a bit.

It's absolutely not an indication that you're on a downhill slide.

I was dx'd 31 yrs ago and some years I get "that" letter and other years, it's fine. Sometimes it's in one eye, and the next it's not - the eye heals itself.

My guess is that retinopathy happens with non-T1s too. They only notice it in us because we're tested.

Provided you make a decent effort to keep bg in range, mild background retinopathy not requiring treatment isn't really an issue.

Reactions: MVSmith and Bill166

MVSmith

Hi Scott-C,

Thank you so much for your response, it's re-assuring hearing from other diabetics! I can't believe I have only just found this platform (clearly been living under a rock). It shook me when I got the letter and it's certainly given me focus again that's for sure.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @MVSmith , I agree with @Bill166 . Because T1s can be more prone to eye problems, the regular eye screening is aimed at catching any developing problems at a very early stage so they can sort them long before it becomes a real issue.

There's a fairly standard letter which mentions mild background retinopathy not requiring treatment. All it means is that they have noticed a couple of blood vessels which are bulging a bit.

It's absolutely not an indication that you're on a downhill slide.

I was dx'd 31 yrs ago and some years I get "that" letter and other years, it's fine. Sometimes it's in one eye, and the next it's not - the eye heals itself.

My guess is that retinopathy happens with non-T1s too. They only notice it in us because we're tested.

Provided you make a decent effort to keep bg in range, mild background retinopathy not requiring treatment isn't really an issue.
I used to receive that standard letter for at least 20 years (been diabetic for 53 years now). The last examination showed slightly more deterioration so was sent for laser treatment a few months ago. It was something I had always been afraid of but never felt a thing. I've been back for my follow up appointment and it all seems clear now. I will see in a few months time whether any further laser treatment is necessary. Hopefully it won't be but I found the experience nothing like I imagined.

Reactions: MVSmith and Bill166

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It was something I had always been afraid of but never felt a thing.

That's reassuring.

I remember a few weeks after I was dx'd I read an article in DUK's magazine, Balance, about a 25 yr old who'd played fast and loose with bg levels and was being told she'd be blind in a year (she turned it around).

That was one of the things which made me sit down and say, ok, I'm going to take this seriously.

(been diabetic for 53 years now).

Surely not, how is that possible, when your avatar shows someone who is obviously still in their twenties?!

MVSmith

I used to receive that standard letter for at least 20 years (been diabetic for 53 years now). The last examination showed slightly more deterioration so was sent for laser treatment a few months ago. It was something I had always been afraid of but never felt a thing. I've been back for my follow up appointment and it all seems clear now. I will see in a few months time whether any further laser treatment is necessary. Hopefully it won't be but I found the experience nothing like I imagined.
Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I must stop worrying and graft hard to get those levels back 'normal' range for me

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's reassuring.

I remember a few weeks after I was dx'd I read an article in DUK's magazine, Balance, about a 25 yr old who'd played fast and loose with bg levels and was being told she'd be blind in a year (she turned it around).

That was one of the things which made me sit down and say, ok, I'm going to take this seriously.

Surely not, how is that possible, when your avatar shows someone who is obviously still in their twenties?!
Thank you Scott-C. The photo was taken 2 years ago on holiday for a Roarin’ Twenties night, hence the dress. I wish I was still in my twenties, thirties even. (Or maybe you just need another eye screening!)

Last edited: