At 77 should I really be too worried at a rising HbA1c?

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic almost 7 years ago, together with hypertension, after an NHS health check. At that time my HbA1c was 41, so not of prime importance to the GP, instead she homed in on the hypertension and put me on meds. I have an annual review and the A1c has been rising slowly ever since. Last time it was 44 and I am due another at the end of the month and have a bad feeling it will have risen again. I am also aware that the hypertension is on the rise too and realise the 2 conditions often go together.
I have a glucose meter and am in the habit of taking a fasting reading and pre and post meal [2 hr] readings. Most fasting readings are around 7 with the rest in the mid 6's; pre meal averages <6> and post meal 8.5 but can be as high as 10. I am 77, 5'8" tall and weigh just 9 stone, so a slim person. Active too as I have an energetic dog to be exercised, however I am increasingly bothered with the arthritis in my knee becoming worse and feel the stiffness is slowing me down. That of course is another issue.
The nurse gives me an annual warning of the progression to type 2 and although I fully understand the implications and the virtue of going totally low carb I do find it hard. I have a real weakness for fruit especially at this time of year, which I know is full of carbs but I do not eat junk and do cook my meals from scratch and feel I eat well, based on LCHF, at least in principle.
I am aware that type 2 is progressive and the longer you live with it the worse things can be, however I wonder whether at 77 I am taking this whole type 2 thing too seriously and should I just be loosening up a bit?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Garden Gnome
I’m just waiting for a train so need to be brief. But I wanted to say that I went low carb primarily to control my blood. However my arthritis and high blood pressure have improved since I went low carb. I lost weight too but my non weight bearing joints improved too and I’ve dropped my blood pressure meds. I think you’ll find you feel more energetic on low carb as high blood sugars can make you feel lethargic.

Reactions: hazelzac and jjraak

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You potentially have another 20 years on this planet, would you like to live that time being cared for or with the freedoms you choose?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Gardengnome .

Congrats in managing so well without going too low carb.

As to age.. It's perhaps debatable.
However let me just pick up two things.

I not sure I agree it IS progressive.
I think most of the data is largely pre LCHF, back when people just took the meds and ate the bread...

Pretty sure this generation will be turning that philosophy and outcome on its head in a few years time.

And as @Rachox alludes to the other ailments, and inflammation being a main one, do seem to benefit from the LCHF way of eating.

So overall, age considered, maybe the idea of kicking back and eating what you like sounds pleasant VERSUS being able to walk that loveable dog and keeping yourself in better shape for as long as possible.

Your final say of course, but my goal is to be as healthy as possible, for as long as possible.
Not sure ANY fruit or cake is worth swapping that for.

Good luck finding a path way you can enjoy.

Kindest regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: hazelzac

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should carry on as you have been, in 7 years your hab1c has risen by 3. Whatever you have been doing has worked well for you. In this rate of decline it will be another 7 years before you even hit diabetic levels for hab1c. I don’t suggest you eat bread by the loaf or anything really high in sugar or carbs. But you are doing the right thing by being aware of it, and acting accordingly.
If you check out diet doctor they have a graphic of the carb levels in fruits. The best fruit are generally berries and with some natural yogurt it’s not too high in carbs.

Reactions: hazelzac

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic almost 7 years ago, together with hypertension, after an NHS health check. At that time my HbA1c was 41, so not of prime importance to the GP, instead she homed in on the hypertension and put me on meds. I have an annual review and the A1c has been rising slowly ever since. Last time it was 44 and I am due another at the end of the month and have a bad feeling it will have risen again. I am also aware that the hypertension is on the rise too and realise the 2 conditions often go together.
I have a glucose meter and am in the habit of taking a fasting reading and pre and post meal [2 hr] readings. Most fasting readings are around 7 with the rest in the mid 6's; pre meal averages <6> and post meal 8.5 but can be as high as 10. I am 77, 5'8" tall and weigh just 9 stone, so a slim person. Active too as I have an energetic dog to be exercised, however I am increasingly bothered with the arthritis in my knee becoming worse and feel the stiffness is slowing me down. That of course is another issue.
The nurse gives me an annual warning of the progression to type 2 and although I fully understand the implications and the virtue of going totally low carb I do find it hard. I have a real weakness for fruit especially at this time of year, which I know is full of carbs but I do not eat junk and do cook my meals from scratch and feel I eat well, based on LCHF, at least in principle.
I am aware that type 2 is progressive and the longer you live with it the worse things can be, however I wonder whether at 77 I am taking this whole type 2 thing too seriously and should I just be loosening up a bit?

Ooh, Garden gnome,that's a hard question to answer! You seem to be living a healthy lifestyle already and although you are 77, you could easily live for another 20 years (!) so no doubt want to live it pain free and 'condition' free. Would you mind telling us a typical days food? The reason I ask is because low carb means different things to different people (as in the amount of carbs) and 'no junk food' is great but even perceived healthy, home cooked food can be tricky for an impaired glucose condition. It might be that you can tweak your food in some way without having to be quite so strict but of course you will have to test, test, test. I'm sure many others in your position will be responding shortly. x

Reactions: AloeSvea and jjraak
M

Member496333

I don't know how many years I have left but I'm sure going to make sure that I'm as healthy as I'm able to be while I'm still alive. I have had diabetic complications, and believe me you don't want them no matter how long you've got.

Reactions: JAT1 and jjraak

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
There is no going back once you become T2.... and I can say for myself, I'd be doing everything to avoid it if in your shoes. I think you would regret it if you just let it progress to T2.... I wish I could undo the past and go back to where you are at now. No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure you appreciate how good of a position you are in to be able to actually see where you are at right now and how you could potentially step in and stop that next step. If that means giving up or very rarely eating certain foods that spike your BG high, then that to me is a small price to pay.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What changed in diet have you tried so far, if any? I try not to think in absolutes when it comes to food. How about reducing fruit? Or eating it only when you can exercise for a full 30 minutes after? Or make sure you are eating the lower GI fruit like berries? You may not have to go full LCHF - it doesn’t always have to be either/or.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @Gardengnome ,

I guess it all depends... If there's other issues as well which influence quality of life, and could be helped by low carbing (like the hypertension, to an extent, but also rheumatism for instance, or IBS or... Carbs are inflammatory and may affect the arthritis too), I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot. You might live to be 100. Now, if you said you don't expect to make it to Christmas, I'd say eat whetever you like, (I know I would, probably), but from where I'm sitting you sound pretty spry.... In your shoes I'd probably stick with berries rather than other fruits and have another go at the low carb thing, going a bit further with it. See whether it makes a noticable difference in other areas as well. Your rise in HbA1c isn't dramatic as yet and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to press it back down with just a few additional changes. IF you want to. Whatever happens next, always remember it's your life, your health, and you decide what you do with it.

silentman

Hi Grannygrump I am 79 and diagnosed pre diabetic a couple of months ago with a HbAc1 of 44, my fasting and meal figures are not to dissimilar to yours maybe just a little lower have , I fully understand your thinking as I have found the whole experience very worrying as it seems to have taken over so much of my life.
My practice nurse enrolled me on the NHS funded Healthier You program which is designed to help people who are or near pre diabetic, I had already lost around 30lb and was exercising by walking everyday and since obtaining a meter my readings have if anything gone up. The advise given on the course I don’t think has helped no mention of carbs just the usual 5 portions a day and reduce consumption of fat all totally at odds with advice given on the group. Having read so much of the information available on here it makes sense to me to follow the low carb route which I find fairly easy will see where that takes me at my next HbAc1 test.
None of us know how long we have left but better to be as fit and active as possible, when i look around at people younger than me and how difficult life is for them I am grateful I am not the same. Good look

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that not going over 8mmol/l was when things started to alter for me - once I did not exceed 8 I stayed on the same regime and saw my levels drop down to 7 and I felt better too.
It might be that you are just going a bit too far with your carbs and a small reduction would allow your metabolism to get more into balance.
At one time you would have been seen as elderly, on borrowed time and a candidate for DNR on the notes - but these days people get into their 90s still doing well.
One of my wicked pleasures has been seeing doctors and nurses doubting their machines when they take my blood pressure - but I am a long time low carber and I suspect that there is a connection. I found an article on the BMJ Open site which compared age at death with LDL cholesterol - I took a copy to the last meeting I had with a nurse, as higher LDL doesn't shorten life, quite the reverse for many people. She had to read it a couple of times to understand what it meant.

Reactions: mojo37

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Age 77 is far too young to be easing up.

In my seventies, I exercised to stay ambulatory. In my eighties, I exercise to avoid assisted living. **** Van Dyke

Reactions: jjraak

Grannypat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
getting really old but I am dealing with it
As someone of 80, 5'4 high and 7st 4 who has gradually reduced carbs without being totally obsessed I have found it very satisfying to gradually reduce my HbA 1c to 44 after diagnosis in 2011. I think that it is important to reach a fasting number of 4-5 which took a while.
Eating low carb requires persistence but as long as enough fats are eaten I do not get hungry.
Fruit is a great temptation though I try to stick to some raspberries with yoghurt & seeds for breakfast. Yesterday I had 5 tiny wild mirabelle plums for dessert, a rare treat but very satisfying.
Do not lessen your efforts because of age. Living well and healthily is so much better than giving in.

Reactions: jjraak and mojo37

jimmyt2dm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello my friend,
High blood sugar is toxic, you need to keep your blood sugar as low to normal as possible. Stop eating sugar, sugar additives, starches, processed foods and go easy on the fruit. On your next blood panel fast for 10 hours and get your ALT, fasting insulin, and fasting glucose added to the test. The ALT is a liver test and the fasting insulin and glucose can calculate your insulin resistance.

Let me know how it works out.

Jimmy.