Dla to Pip

Loubelle38

Hi all,
First post here. I am parent to a 15 year old son who has been t1 since he was 7. We very reluctantly applied for Dla after he was diagnosed and he receives the middle rate. Initially he was quite good with doing lots for himself, but teenage years and other priorities mean I often have to still test him
at night, not to mention the time spent collecting prescriptions and carb counting means for him. Recently he hadn’t tested before bed when I thought he had and he was unconscious the next morning. I stupidly thought he was being a typical lazy teen not wanting to get out of bed ‍♀️ Felt really bad after as he was in the 2’s. He got up but was a complete mess and doing crazy things, like throwing his kit in the bin and pouring a drink in a breakfast bowl??
At 16, he has been advised to apply for Pip. I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle. Although how he can be classed as completely independent and in control of his diabetes at the age of 16 shocks me!! Have visions of him not putting in for his prescriptions, running out of meds and being all over the place. Obviously I will still help him regardless of dla or pip, but anyone with any experience of what happens? Slightly nervous. Wish the dla ran till they are 18, seems fairer as they are adults then. I also spend a fair bit on gluco juice for him now they have changed the formulation of lucozade. He generally has good control but needs prompting on things like night time tests etc or he forgets to inject.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Loubelle

If you decide to make a PIP claim, you will first need to ring the Work & Pensions telephone number which will start the process.

They will send you a form and your son will have to answer questions on the following -

How your son is at -

• preparing food
• eating and drinking
• washing and bathing
• managing your toilet needs
• dressing and undressing
• reading
• communicating
• managing medicines or treatments
• making decisions about money
• engaging with other people.

They are nor interested in actual medical conditions rather than how they affect the above for your son. The old DLA assessed on actual conditions. You need to get points in as many sections as possible to get the award.

You also need to answer questions about mobiity - That is

• planning and following a journey
• moving around

You must send the completed form back to them within 28 days or they cancel the application and you have to start again.

Once you send the form back with any supporting evidence, your son will be invited to a face to face assessment with a Health Care Professional at a PIP Assessment Centre. They will ask a lot of probing questions and can also carry out some physical examinations. It currently takes about 2 months from sending the form back to getting a PIP Assessment.

Once assessors send the report back to the Work & Pensions People, a decision maker will award points to your application.

You will usually hear if you have got it or not after a long wait (Currently 16 weeks from start of process).

Good Luck - I have helped quite a few vulnerable people apply and it is not an easy process at all and takes a long while.

Last edited: