Can I blame metformin for today's dreadful indigestion?

mouseee

Evening!
I have suffered, really suffered this week with terrible indigestion. So painful I am going cold and clammy sometimes.

I take two x2 metformin daily for the past 6 weeks and have had side effects meaning I 'know' when I need the loo but that's it.

The pain is really in my stomach and is also causing some bloating at the top of the abdomen. Just when I was feeling that had gone from pre diagnosis!

Can't eat or think about eating at the moment as it's too painful now and after i have eaten and I can't even fall back on my usual cure all of marmite on toast. (Pause for a bit of self pity wallowing.... done now!)

Any experience or thoughts welcome. I have my trusty bottle of gaviscon standing by this evening.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rotten isn’t it. Is that common for you? I’d be seeking help if it were that bad, it may not be indigestion.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have suffered, really suffered this week with terrible indigestion. So painful I am going cold and clammy sometimes.

Sorry to hear that. Metformin certainly caused me lots of problems, but much lower down. I think a trip to your GP is called for. If it is the Metformin I wonder if the Sustained Release version would help, if you're not on that already?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I definitely agree that a trip to the doc is required.

Until then, have a good read of the Metformin info sheet that comes in the box. Actually, have a good look at the info sheet for any and all meds that you may be on. And check out the contraindications. If any of the symptoms listed match your experience, then mention it at your appoint.

Something else you can do is go to an online medication checker like this one:
https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html
enter your medications and check for interactions between them.

As a commonsense suggestion, I would also encourage you to take note of the advice on taking metformin - that will be on the info sheet too - where it says not to take Metformin on an empty stomach. So please don't keep taking the met if you aren't eating.

Hope that helps.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Don't put off a visit to your GP.

I was suffering bad indigestion and heartburn for about two weeks in May and was taking Gaviscon. Mine wasn't indigestion - It was a blocked artery and resulted in a heart attack, a hospital stay and an angioplasty.

You cannot be too careful - Its worth a visit to the GP to get checked out. Don't put it off.

Reactions: Barrowbakers

mouseee

Thanks everybody. Much better today. Although I didn't eat much for lunch I also didn't suffer after eating and ate a pretty good dinner.

I've been avoiding taking my metformin when I haven't eaten. I'm pleased I have this forum and understand what it does or I'd be panicking that I was not taking it properly.

The only thing the leaflet says about stomach ache is... side effect stomach ache. Well, that's not too helpful as there are quite a few kinds.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues will definitely contact the Dr.

Reactions: JohnEGreen