Running as a Type 1

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Suffer with OCD and anxiety since age 7
Hi, I've been a Type 1 since May this year. I've always been active, I currently do pole dancing which I've done for a few years and I've started running again since finding out I'm Diabetic. I've been thinking about working towards doing a half marathon. I'm just wondering if anyone here has done one and what extra precautions do you need to take being Diabetic? I was thinking about doing the Great North Run with my husband to raise money for Diabetes. I feel it would be such an achievement if I did it and it's a year away too! I run regularly upping the miles every so many weeks. Currently easily doing 3 miles consistently. I'm still in the honeymoon stage too but I do seem to be having a lot of hypos as I've not got to grips with adjusting my insulin/food for running. I'm going to ask my Diabetic nurse when I next see them but thought I would probably get better advice here!

Is this doable? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JosieMcGreal

Yes it's certainly doable - I know a few type 1's who have just completed the Great North Run, and know a member here who is a marathon runner @Type1Bri

In regards to strategies for longer runs, Bri has written a blog about how he achieved his last London Marathon so hopefully when he pops in here, he can share it with you.

Personally I am only running up to 10km now, i'm not so much about achieving great distances as just doing it to keep my BG levels in check and stay fit, but my running strategy for 5km vs 10km is different, as i'm on a pump I find it easy to adjust insulin to suit the exercise.

What's your current regime like and what insulins are you taking ?

Reactions: JosieMcGreal

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @JosieMcGreal

Yes it's certainly doable - I know a few type 1's who have just completed the Great North Run, and know a member here who is a marathon runner @Type1Bri

In regards to strategies for longer runs, Bri has written a blog about how he achieved his last London Marathon so hopefully when he pops in here, he can share it with you.

Personally I am only running up to 10km now, i'm not so much about achieving great distances as just doing it to keep my BG levels in check and stay fit, but my running strategy for 5km vs 10km is different, as i'm on a pump I find it easy to adjust insulin to suit the exercise.

What's your current regime like and what insulins are you taking ?

At the minute I just have 3 units of Toujeo and then 1 unit of NovoRapid with breakfast and 2 units with dinner and tea (sometimes 3 if my levels are above 10) but I'm still in the honeymoon stage. I was on more insulin but I keep having hypos so trying to adjust until I'm out of it. I find running on an evening is better as I've had more to eat rather than a morning. I'm gradually upping my distance for running as I'd rather be comfortable doing it rather than struggle. But I had a bad hypo this morning, it was 2.3. That's the lowest it's been! And that was after my run. When I do my pole fitness I've dropped suddenly before but usually my levels are "ok" with exercise. I think a half marathon is a goal to work towards. I imagine it's very rewarding and my Husband said he would do it with me too! Thanks for the reply.

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@JosieMcGreal that sounds like a great idea.
I am very active but have not run a half marathon but I know many people with type 1 diabetes have done so.
One source of very useful information about exercise with type 1 diabetes is www.runsweet.co.uk.
This website has pages of advice for different types of sport.

Will have a look! Thanks!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @JosieMcGreal I cannot give you specific advice about dosing, and being in the honeymoon can be tricky too to manage, it would be a good idea to keep a running diary to track your running and bg levels and dosing. Try experimenting with eating more carbs and less insulin prior to the run, if you're not doing this already, on my 10km runs I tend to eat beforehand and take 50% less insulin, but as I can turn the basal off on my pump I do this about 1 hour before I head out, then correct with a bolus at the end if running high, on these runs I tend to run just above 4 mmol/l and come back up again. What distances are you at now ?

It's sounds like you're already doing great, think about joining a running club too perhaps, I run with one once a week, it's nice to have the company, they are also a great support for morale and sharing running tips, as well as keeping you updated with event information.

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello @JosieMcGreal I cannot give you specific advice about dosing, and being in the honeymoon can be tricky too to manage, it would be a good idea to keep a running diary to track your running and bg levels and dosing. Try experimenting with eating more carbs and less insulin prior to the run, if you're not doing this already, on my 10km runs I tend to eat beforehand and take 50% less insulin, but as I can turn the basal off on my pump I do this about 1 hour before I head out, then correct with a bolus at the end if running high, on these runs I tend to run just above 4 mmol/l and come back up again. What distances are you at now ?

It's sounds like you're already doing great, think about joining a running club too perhaps, I run with one once a week, it's nice to have the company, they are also a great support for morale and sharing running tips, as well as keeping you updated with event information.

At the minute I'm just running 3 miles as I've just upped it from 2 miles. My main aim at first was running 1 mile in a decent time and then once I was happy with that my Husband suggested running further so I am upping my mileage once I am comfortable and can do it easily. A diary is a good idea. I have noticed so far that running on the evening once my tea has settled has better results than in a morning once I've done the school run as I'll only have had cereal really. Will try the diary and see how I go.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@JosieMcGreal It’s fascinating how different we all are - I prefer mornings for running as I find my BG levels are much more stable, I can drop fairly easily during evening runs despite my planning.

It can also change again depending on the weather too so in the Summer more likely to hypo.

I think achieving satisfaction through running is also a great boost mentally so well done you, let me know how the training goes ?

JosieMcGreal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@JosieMcGreal It’s fascinating how different we all are - I prefer mornings for running as I find my BG levels are much more stable, I can drop fairly easily during evening runs despite my planning.

It can also change again depending on the weather too so in the Summer more likely to hypo.

I think achieving satisfaction through running is also a great boost mentally so well done you, let me know how the training goes ?

I've signed up for next years Great North Run! Me and My Husband are doing it together! How exciting! Will keep you all updated. And of course I'm running for Diabetes UK

Reactions: Harrysdad

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JosieMcGreal well done on taking the plunge on signing up.
I’ve done 10 half marathons as a type 1 as well as one Ultra Marathon.
It’s really a case of trying everything out in training and making sure that there’s nothing new on race day.
Maybe try and pick up some shorter races between now and next September.
Parkrun is also a great thing as it gives you event practice for free!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I've been a Type 1 since May this year. I've always been active, I currently do pole dancing which I've done for a few years and I've started running again since finding out I'm Diabetic. I've been thinking about working towards doing a half marathon. I'm just wondering if anyone here has done one and what extra precautions do you need to take being Diabetic? I was thinking about doing the Great North Run with my husband to raise money for Diabetes. I feel it would be such an achievement if I did it and it's a year away too! I run regularly upping the miles every so many weeks. Currently easily doing 3 miles consistently. I'm still in the honeymoon stage too but I do seem to be having a lot of hypos as I've not got to grips with adjusting my insulin/food for running. I'm going to ask my Diabetic nurse when I next see them but thought I would probably get better advice here!

Is this doable? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi, lovely to read you keeping fir and active.
Here'a an inspiring story :
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/food-and-diabetes/i-have-type-1-diabetes/eds-story