Just for fun - are all T2s diabetics former sweet tooths?

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Just for fun - are all T2s diabetics former sweet tooths

I'm normal.... I'm not alone.... Yep I too was a chocolate junkie and biscuits too. If stressed = chocolate, if happy = chocolate. Just any excuse really. Now type 2 and overweight with other health problems and desperately trying to lose weight. This gets harder as I get older but I'm hoping that with mad Border Collie assistance it will get easier. Much better than I was but I do have the odd slip up with a small milky way or a small bag of buttons which then takes a few days to get out of my system . WW and the added help of the Diabetes Plan plus going for as low carb as possible seem to be working and my maths is improving too... :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

It was never really sweet stuff that did it for me. I was a savoury kinda guy, too.

Although, for a few months prior to being diagnosed, I WOULD crave some chocolate just after eating a breakfast (usually a fry up :oops:).

I realise now that it was because of the insulin spike caused by eating a hi-fat, hi-carb breakfast. (2 sausages, 2 fried bread, 2 eggs and baked beans. Oh how I miss fried bread w/beans and fried egg w/runny yolks...)

Marzeater

Mine wasn't just mars bars.
I could see off a 500g box of liquorice allsorts or thorntons toffee without thinking about it.
I think if I was left alone with a box now I would probably see it off :oops: :oops: :oops:
In fact the day before my diagnosis was fathers day 2008 and I saw off a big box of toffees

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!

Wow Mazester you do have a sweet tooth, have to confess I am partial to toffees, though the only toffee I eat these days are the Thornton's diabetic but only on rare occasions.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I have never eaten much sweet stuff, either before or after diagnosis and wasn't allowed any as a child - "it's bad for your teeth". But I seem to crave it more now that I shouldn't have it. I allow myself an occasional treat - by doing that I avoid binging. I crave Lindor Balls and Cadbury's Flakes but have them very infrequently and then only a very small amount. Small enough so that it hardly affects my levels at all as I make myself test afterwards.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I used to keep my desk at work stocked with mars bars, turkish delight, flakes, kit cat so I could snack through the day and often into the evening as I worked long hours.
I loved Cadburys Dairy Milk, especially the really huge bars.
Leonidas Belgian chocolates - ecstasy!

I loved carbs - mash, chips, roast potatoes, bread (never had a mash buttie but chip buties were to die for).
Especially seedy wholemeal bread made in our breadmaker.
Lots of rice, any and every kind of pasta and pizza.
[Well, Mediteranean diet is healthy, right?]

Puddings - aaaaahhhh - apple pie, cheesecakes (especially the baked ones from M&S), hot chocolate fudgy things from Waitrose, anything rich and sticky.

Two sugars in coffee and tea - in fact I still struggle drinking standard tea without sugar so tend to drink green tea instead.

All gone now.
Think I'll just crawl outside and slit my wrists with a rusty razor blade :(

Oh, well, mustn't grumble :D
I do like a good fry up in the morning and if I keep my exercise levels up I can cope with baked beans as well.
I eat an interesting and varied diet and I weigh far less than I have since my twenties.
I must say I can't cope with "just a little" of any of my weaknesses because that way lies damnation and backsliding over the definition of "little".
So at the moment I am a low carb convert and trying not to bore friends and family about it.

I guess I used up my lifetime supply of unlimited free insulin a little early with all the overloads.

Cheers

LGC

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh yes I was a real chocoholic, cake craving, dessert desiring, fruit and nut cake , biscuit muching sugar fiend. Did not help having free sweets from the butchers huge jar, doctor with a sweet pot on his desk for every kid, a grandmother who added 2tbsp to every jelly and always added sugary blamonges on top. Oh the silver balls and icing on every cake, a grandfather who bought us coke in posh cafes so we could see what happened when sugar cubes went in it, Ohhhhhhhhh sucking sugar crystals from the bowl, stealing in to the larder for midnight snacks as a child, deneying it was me at the marachino cherry jar .......

sweet tooth - can't deny it!

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would have chocolate a couple of times a week and always made a cake or some sort of pudding for weekends. Now I can cope with a few squares of 70% choclate. I have to admit to reading the back of the bars to find out which is the lowest carb so that I could still have it!! :oops:

The thing I miss most though is freshly baked bread with lots of butter and mashed potatoes with butter. :(

Ann

jest

Never had much of a sweet tooth but throw me some chips and other salty carbs and I would be all over them!

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just remembered. When I was younger we used to eat sugar sandwiches and full fat dripping sandwiches. I used to add a dash of marmite prior to the driping. Lovely! Especially after the roast beef had added extra flavour. The thought of either of these now makes me feel positively sick. I'm probably talking about time in the 50's. My Dad was a Type 1 diabetic too so goodness knows what his levels were like.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Absolutely a sugar addict from childhood, didn't have to be chocolate, any sweets, cakes, biscuits. I can remember spreading brown sugar on toast, and loads of honey. My mother, bless her, had no idea what she was doing to me. Now I have cocoa without sugar, not bad.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I've been dieting since I was 13 so had trained myself against sweets, puddings etc at an early age! though I still indulge on occasion. I managed to get just as fat on pure savoury :lol: .

So - I probably had a sweet tooth but disciplined it long before diabetes. (sigh!)

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

My father had never had a sweet tooth but suddenly ,in his sixties he started to buy them for himself ,especially mars gars. We all thought it was funny but , with hindsigh , it musy have been when his T2 started kicking in.

I never had a particularly sweet tooth but wondered a little when I found myself buyinh a multipak of guess what? Mars Bars.

As my Gp had recently assured me I was not diabetic I assumed that I just needed extra energy for grealing with a house move.

A few weeks later I collapsed.....

The moral is beware of a sudden craving for mars bars. Its either pregnancy or diabetes!

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)

nope i'm not too keen on sweet things mostly liked rices and pastas home made curry and spagetti bolognese lasagne etc.
Rob.. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Anyone else remember evaporated milk, spread on brown-bread-and-butter for breakfast? That was the '50s too! Also shredded wheat with hot milk and brown sugar. And porridge with golden syrup. And steamed treacle sponge with custard. And my Dad kept bees . . . :roll:

No hope for me, was there? :lol:

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I remember evaporated milk (called Ideal Milk) - my Mother called it "cream". We poured it over our
apple crumble :shock:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

We used tinned Carnation milk on puds and stewed/tinned fruit, if we didn't have custard! On tinned mandarin oranges it used to curdle just a little bit.

Viv 8)

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Marks and Spencer Percy Pigs
Any Haribo sweets
chocolate peanuts

were my big weaknesses in all cases, once opened I would eat the whole bag in one go

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

I don't have a sweet tooth at all, not even in childhood.

My downfall is crisps..salt and vinegar..drool.

Ooh and cheese and olives and rich sauces and highly spiced foods and..and..I had better stop before I make a total prat of myself. :oops: :D