Do I need insulin even if reading is normal?

Tmrwic

I've been using Lantus for years and each time before I'd use it, my reading is consistent in the 15 mmol/L mark.

A few moments ago, my level was only 4.8.
I'm not used to this. I don't want to go hypo. I can't contact my doctor. Is it safe to inject Lantus even if my level is just normal.

Please advise. Thank you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Tmrwic

Are you new to insulin?
If so, you should have a contact number to reach a nurse or healthcare professional to help you through situations like this.

I am afraid it is against the forum rules for anyone here to give you advice on insulin dosing.
However, members may be able to give you some guidance depending on their experience, and what they themselves would do in your circumstances.

Could you please give some more information:
- what type of diabetic are you?
- what other meds or insulins are you on?
- do you carb count, and match your bolus insulin to carb intake? (if you are on bolus short acting insulin)
- do you know how to do a basal test and adjust doses https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/adjusting-basal-bolus-insulin-doses.html

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Lantus for years and each time before I'd use it, my reading is consistent in the 15 mmol/L mark.

I'm not used to this. I don't want to go hypo. I can't contact my doctor. Is it safe to inject Lantus even if my level is just normal.

Hello welcome, Lantus is a background insulin, it's not used to bring down blood sugar levels. However if it is too much, you can hypo. Usually lantus is taken once a day? I think you still need to contact your doctor to ask. Depending on diabetes, type 1s use lantus or another basal insulin in conjunction with bolus insulin/fast acting insulin for meal times, corrections etc.
When basal insulin dose is correct, like lantus, it shouldn't cause hypos.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, if your readings have been around 15 on a regular basis for years, then it sounds as if it needs adjusting, I'd go see a doctor. x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KK123 From my understanding, Lantus isn't taken before meals, some people take it either at night or in the morning or when their next basal top up is. Insulin does keep us in normal levels but if OP is running high, lantus will keep that blood sugar high. However unless dose is too much, it can drop some levels. So OP would need another insulin to correct the high readings.
@Tmrwic Have you been testing for ketones if your BG is consistently 15mmol/l? If ketones are present, you need to go to A&E.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Hi @Tmrwic and welcome to the forum. I agree with @MeiChanski Lantus is a background insulin and is usually taken once a day.
What type of diabetes do you have? What meds/insulins are you on.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KK123 From my understanding, Lantus isn't taken before meals, some people take it either at night or in the morning or when their next basal top up is. Insulin does keep us in normal levels but if OP is running high, lantus will keep that blood sugar high. However unless dose is too much, it can drop some levels. So OP would need another insulin to correct the high readings.
@Tmrwic Have you been testing for ketones if your BG is consistently 15mmol/l? If ketones are present, you need to go to A&E.

Hi MeiChanski, yes, Lantus is a long acting background insulin, I was thinking that if the poster has levels of 15 (independent of meals, ie fasting levels) then her lantus dose can't be right? It sounds like their whole regime needs looking at of course as running that high 'for years' isn't good. x

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in the UK and can’t contact your doctor/nurse, you can ring NHS 111 and they can give dosing advice until you can talk to your doctor.